This was a pleasant surprise after the hectic horrors of Manila. I took lthe ocal minivan to Blue Waters and walked through a village and a bit of pasture to get to the resort. Lots of great photo opportunities so close to a major airport. The resort welcomes you with a nice cooling drink, towel and smiles. The place was decorated in that antique heavy Spanish look and with the landscaped gardens, it presented as an old world blend of Philipino and Spanish heritage. Run by descendants of the founding family, an air or refinement persists and of old wealth though the wooden statues and old building rooms look well past their prime. I spent the first day photographing the wonderful ornaments and artifacts representative of Phlippine culture and history of the region of Cebu. The views from the top floor of the new block were marvellous and sea breezes cools the place year round. Regadless of the neighbouring people touting from morning till night for your business to island hop or jet ski, the place has a serenity one longs for after a week in Manila and not soothed by a sorry visit to Tagatay. The breakfast buffet was splendid (make sure you access the local cocoa - and the meals whatever you want - I asked for the vegetarian Pinakbet and the fabulous banana and jackfruit fritters and both were wonderful, serenaded as I was by the nighly array of local talent singing me songs about the Pinoy. I loved the place and will return but be warned- check for renovations and check you are not going into the old wing. Nothing worse than dank smelly rooms and horrendous building noise when you went thousands of miles to get away from renovating your own home in Australia. PS the housekeepr was an angel and altered my new shorts for nothing - no-one looks for a tip here either and you get a free shuttle to the city 26km away to sightsee and shop at leisure - the Ayala Mall is great if it's shopping you want and try coming back by local ferry and stop at the Virgin mary shrine where real pilgrims make offerings of black candles to a black madonna - quite wonderful and very very spiritual. I just love this place and must see more of Cebu next trip...PS there is a magnificent souvenir shop on the main island in the city - ask how to find it - you can set up a whole business back home selling these things - they are really not tacky tourist stuff - check out the beautiful wood carvings but make sure customs allows it in. PPS you can get cheap spa services back in the township near the airport BUT the facilities are horrid and not clean - try the resort spa - it is amazing architecturally and the ambiance inside it is something you have to experience to believe. No spa beats this one for atmosphere. Or stay in the units near the spa if you are a group - more homely than the hotel rooms.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away in the charming island of Mactan in Cebu is the tropical hideaway of Costabella, a luxury beach resort awarded by the Philippine Department of Tourism with the highest resort classification.An iconic property embraced by white fine sand and shaded by palm trees, Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel is an architectural showcase steeped in history and tradition. Its tastefully-appointed rooms, all 156 of them, beautifully integrate Spanish colonial influences with natural, homegrown materials. Carved stonework, arched doors and charming courtyards are the hallmarks of this timeless place. All accommodations from the modest to luxurious with private balconies offer breathtaking view that is both peaceful and romantic.As the name suggests, Costabella provides travelers and guests with the perfect setting to admire Mactan’s enchanting coastline. This tropical retreat is truly a dream destination for honeymoons and weddings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travel Book Philippines, Inc. and getaroom.com so you can book your Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Costabella Tropical Beach
- Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel Cebu Island/Mactan Island