“Away from city bustle”

Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Mactan Island
Reviewed April 1, 2012

This is my second time to visit Costabella, again for a 3-day conference. It is perfect for families who prefer a quiet and private beachfront. The breakfast buffet has something for everyone, the staff are helpful and friendly, the rooms are clean. It is a 1-hour drive to the city, and is not advisable for those who yearn for the night scene although taxis are available (not sure though if 24/7).

I especially liked having meals in different locations where one enjoys the sea breeze and sunshine (instead of enclosed rooms). Lunch and dinner meals were good, although food choices in the menu are quite limited for vegetarians.

Room Tip: Choose the new building if you are traveling with a person with disability. The old building has no...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed March 22, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights and 2 days at Costabella Beach Resort and we loved every minute of it. We would have stayed longer but we can't. The place is perfect for people who just want to stay in a quiet place, away from the busy and noisy city since it is quite isolated and can only be conveniently reached by taxi.

The staff was very helpful in every way. Upon arriving at 2300 hrs. We were greeted with smiling staff members and were immediately taken to our room. We stayed in a deluxe room, the cheapest one there is but it was very nice. It can accommodate 3 adults or 2 adults and 1 child. The only thing I do not like was that there were no complimentary toothbrush and toothpaste, good thing we decided to bring our own.

Breakfast is included and it was very nice. There was a buffet of a wide variety of food from salads, fruits, sausages, eggs cooked to your own liking and breakfast beverage from brewed coffee, native chocolate to different fruit juices. Not to mention the cereals and make your own noodles tables.

Towels were provided at the beach and pools so no need to bring your own. Th beach is quite small but very nice and secure. There is a nice view of surrounding islands. The pools are also nice and well maintained.

The only negative thing that I can say about Costabella is that there is no place for souvenir shopping nearby. The ones available downtown are quite expensive compared to the ones that can be bought at the main island. So I suggest to reserve a day to go to Cebu City for shopping.

Room Tip: If staying in a deluxe room, be sure to ask for as rug inside the bathroom, there was none when we a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2012

It was my first time in Cebu and it was a family trip- a celebration of my Dad's and younger brother's birthday. We spent a day trip at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel on the second day of our vacation. I did the booking using my work email through Rose Flores, a reservation officer of the property who is based in Manila. I didn't know that Costabella is one of the existing partners of the company I'm currently working for. She might have noticed my work email signature and she happily waived the 800-peso extra person fee (we're 5 and the promo I booked was only good for up to 4 pax) plus she offered a round of complimentary drinks to the a la carte lunch in the package, which wasn't supposed to be included. A day before, I emailed Rose asking if we can just stay until 9pm at the resort instead of going back to Cebu City just to fetch our stuff from the small hotel we were checked-in, since our flight's at 11pm the next day. I even asked her how much it would cost to stay beyond the allotted time for a day trip at Costabella but she quickly replied and said that we can stay until 9pm without any additional charge! I really admire Rose's generosity given the fact that I didn't ask for any special treatment or favor from her. Kudos to Rose! :)

While at Costabella, the staff- from the porter to the front desk officer, from the restaurant staff to the guy at the fruit juice kiosk- everyone was just so polite and warm. Everyone seemed very accommodating that made us feel like we're old acquaintances. The life guards, even with their Cebuano accent, kept on greeting the guests with a smile.

The facilities were also very good. The pools were clean and the sun lounges/chairs were well-maintained. The beach, although it has a short shoreline, was perfect for relaxation. There were lifeguards around for everyone's security at the pools and at the beach. The food at La Marina Restaurant were good (try their Beef Pot Pie and Seafood Tepanyaki- so yummy!). The resort staff also speaks different languages. We heard one speaking Japanese, and the other, speaking Korean. :)

Overall, I would definitely recommend Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel to those wishing to visit Cebu. Experience quality service and above-satisfactory facilities at a budget-friendly price!

Room Tip: Rooms at the higher floors would give a perfect view of the sea!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AubreyAenea
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I booked a room in this resort. My mission was actually to meet up with a college friend whom I have not seen in over 35 years. We flew in from Manila and the flight was less than an hour $100 round trip from Manila. From the Mactan Airport, we took an airport cab, about $6.

The property is an oasis after driving through some pockets of poor areas. Serenity hits me as soon as we got through the gate. The place is surrounded by gardens and tastefully decorated with Southern Philippines artifacts. I will say a cross between Indonesian and Mindanao sari-manok art. The staff was very helpful; it concerned me though that they would speak in the Visayan language amongst each other while helping me at the front desk but the outcome was always favorable to me so I cannot fixate my review on that. I had a room with two double beds and there's plenty of hot water in the bathroom. The housekeeping are very responsive and prompt when I called for extra towels.

The food/restaurant has good variety, kind of pricey but I had no other choice but eat in the resort. It helped that the wait staff are attentive. A dinner for four cost me over $100. The room rate included breakfast; they offered continental as well as Filipino and American fare.

The resort has clean surroundings, beautiful clean pools with "waterfall," a nice sized enclosed beach area to sun and take a dip. I had the best "young cocunut shake" by the pool. I will not hesitate to go back to this resort. It was quiet, clean, well kept, beautiful gardens, helpful staff, and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view if you so desire.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mocha2008
Reviewed March 4, 2012

All in all, this is a pretty nice place. Rooms are comfortable and relatively well maintained (i was in three so I did get a sense of the spectrum). Beach is smallish but quite nice and quiet (aside form the informal boat tour sellers off to the side, periodically shouting at guests to ride in their boat... that got a little trying). Pools are also good. You do need to depend on the two restaurants on the resort, but they have lots of options and most of the food is very good. Well-stocked breakfast as well. Internet is really poor--- fine if you are on vacation perhaps, but tough when you are there for work (as we were). Staff of the restaurants and grounds are very good. Some of the front desk staff is not great. But all in all, I would recommend this place! PS: Make sure to take a cab into the city to see a little of Cebu itself. Easy and cheap!

Room Tip: AC is not super powerful, so smaller rooms get cooler at night which is nice
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Amy B
Reviewed February 24, 2012

if you want to just relax away from the city crowd.. this is a very good place.. small private beach, very good pool, open space, and opportunity for lot of activities. however, the interior do not match the exterior. standard rooms are not upto the stadnard. you need to depend on the restaurant of this resort and food is sort of OK.

Room Tip: rooms on the pool side are good though expensive..
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 14, 2012

Not a big Hotel, but very well maintained and very efficient and well trained staff all around. We got upgraded to a Deluxe Room on the 7th Floor with a great view. The room was a good size and well appointed. But, the staff were all well trained, friendly, efficient and ready to help out.
The grounds were very clean. The pool and restaurant, well managed. The beach, immaculately clean and safe. The girl, Jenny, was so helpful, Really, their staff, starting from Pee Wee, Jo Jo, Robert (restaurant), RV (lifeguard)...... makes our stay there a real pleasure.
Surprisingly, the restaurant food was very good. We've always stayed at Mactan Shangrila in the past, but during this weekend, it was fully booked. So, for the fraction of the cost of Shangrila, I highly recommend Costebella.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple