“Clean and Private”

Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Mactan Island
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My sister's wedding reception was held in this resort. The food was really great and so as the place.

The general staff was very approachable and really provide us with good service. Rooms was also nice but kinda expensive.

The resort is a good place for occasions like wedding, birthdays and parties in general.

You should have your own transportation if you're local since the location is really far from the main road.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed April 24, 2011

There's nothing bad I can comment about in Costabella except for the room we got, only had a manual type aircon, but that's just it. Apart from that, we had a very good stay. The resort seemed to have been newly renovated and most rooms have been updated. Food is a plus, portions are huge and prices are very reasonable. You may want to try out the restaurant or room service, whichever you prefer. Staff are always attentive, I liked each and every single one I came across. Beach is extremely clean, just don't mind the vendors on the next door beach, ones trying to sell "special" rates for water sports and other activities - this is NOT in connection to Costabella, do NOT entertain them! If you wish for these activities, Costabella itself can arrange these for you so you won't be disappointed in what you get. I like that this resort isn't too noisy, its a wonderful place to relax and work on your tan. Do try out thier SPA services as well, the attendants are professionally trained, you really get what you pay for. I also like that security is quite high. I would definitely go back to this resort one of these days.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kmgk
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I was spent in Costabella 10 wonderfull days. Hotel is very nice and clean. Staff is maximal approachable, very kind and helpfull . Restaurant and pool bar have wide choice offer. Breakfest in buffet style in Costabella is absolutelly without claims, wide choice, fresh and delicious asian, american and european foods. I was absolutelly satisfied, for me was Costabella unforgetable place to stay in Philippines. I can the hotel highly recommand.
Josef Römer
[----]

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank euroflex
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights on a recent trip to the Philippines and had a really good experience. The Costabella is not a very big hotel, but it had every facility we could have wished for, including 2 pools (one with a slide), its own small private beach with lovely safe bathing, 2 restaurants - with every type of cuisine you could wish for and all nicely cooked and well presented. The buffet breakfast was superb - we've never had such a wide choice of delicious food (!) and the hotel staff were all happy, friendly and very helpful. We were also fortunate to be upgraded and had a great room with a balcony, seaview and an enormous bed! If we ever return to Cebu, we would definately stay at the Costabella again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PetetheHick
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We went for 3 days only from japan as a couple..no kids for a quiet relaxing break and so the resort suited ok especially since it was a fairly cheap package...

The location isn't great since theres not alot to do locally although we'd recommend the "maribago grill".

Nice little beachfront but if you are looking for more breachfront activities I do think this will be your type of place.

This place would suit people who are happy to laze around and relax and who are not looking for luxury and are not too fussy.

Food was soso and often pretty bad and for a country that grows an abundance of tropical fruits,rarely did we see any of it and when we did, they were no better than a uk or Japanese supermarket quality.

Overall,soso..

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank Okusu
Reviewed January 11, 2011

The service here was the best I've experienced in a long time. The waiters were there with everything I was about to ask for, the room cleaner came when I asked (and with a smile), the receptionist was accommodating, and the lady behind the desk in the business center was very helpful. The pools were great, large, and clean. Poolside was nice and shady and at least on the first day there, had a great attendant who really was concerned with our comfort.

The beach was the biggest bummer, not even worth mentioning. In the morning, the tide was out so far that they didn't even have a beach, just a muck pit. But on sunny days in high tide, I can see it improving to, let's say, average condition. They have a protected swimming area further out - I didn't bother (pool was too nice to bother swimming in the sea), but big potential there with groups I think.

Rooms were lackluster (by international resort standard. by local standards, they were high luxury). Guess for the price, it's to be expected, no great deal, but you for sure get your money's worth. I live here in Cebu, so I'm too used to local conditions, so for me, having hot water in the bathroom was a special luxury - I think I took 4 showers a day, but I can see where some other foreigners might find the room overall disappointing. I'd definitely recommend bringing your own soap, they provide hand soap only and that is quite harsh on the skin.

Overall, I'd love to go back, but then, I don't care about the beach - I'm beached out, having lived in the PH for so long.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shadythebones
Reviewed November 1, 2010

We read past reviews and looked for a place to relax. We found that at Costabella. We booked the premier deluxe room and it was everything it was described in the photos. It was more bigger than we expected and the view from our balcony was really nice. The food was great in the restaurant, a little pricey due to the additional taxes they add to it but you get alot food. If you like fried rice, their Costabella Special Fried Rice was the best I ever had. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. We noticed our showerhead was shooting water out the side and I called them. they came up right away and said it would be fixed tomorrow morning. We waitied until lunchtime to call them again, they came up and replaced it with no problems. This is place isn't the Shangri-La or the Hilton. It is a nice and quiet place and landscaped very nice too. Reviews I read complained about the beach being small. Well, it was clean and we rather go to a beach that less crowded anyway. When at low tides, it is murky and less attractive. Blame it on mother nature, not the hotel... Pulling the grass out would have been nice.
There is negatives of course... The taxi service there is awful. They don't have metered taxis and it is a ripoff to all guests who use them. We arrived by taxi from Cebu City and we paid 175 pesos, it was a 30 minute ride to the hotel. We got a taxi to take us to the nearest mall and charged us 250 pesos one way, it was only 10 minutes.
Most of the guests, I assume were Japanese and they were not only rude to staff, but to us as well. They walked by us and bumped into us, without saying "excuse me" or even a simple apology. They acted like they owned the place and when asked what was their problem. They spoke in their language and giggled. I seen them speak some english and after that I lost some respect for their pompous attitudes. Of course, there were hagglers on the edge of the fences on the property. Asking you if you want to go on a boat ride or rent a jet ski from them. I politely told them no thanks, but I gave them a few pesos and had a friendly chat. I know times are tough and everybody has to make a living somehow, but it is wiser to hire someone that Costabella has a contract with. The gift shop is expensive and the Lema Spa there on the property was trying to rip us off. They gave us two different prices for a 60 minute massage and it was alot higher than it said on their website. If you want to get away and have some quiet time, this is the place to go. Just be sure you get all the things you need before getting there.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple