“perfectly average, but the price is right”

Plai Garden Guesthouse
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Racha Thewa
Illinois
“perfectly average, but the price is right”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

plai garden features small yet comfortable rooms, hot showers, an hourly airport shuttle, and an adequate restaurant serving thai and international fare with cold beer. free wi-fi rounds out the portfolio.

the downside/upside to this hotel is it's location. very near suvarnabhumi international airport but too far away from bangkok's legendary nitelife.

if you're traveling thru bangkok and in need of an inexpensive, no-frills hotel while waiting for your next flight, plai garden is an excellent value.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

My sister has never been able to find the free airport shuttle, and always had to endure a meter-sneaky taxi ride to Plai Garden which will cost you between 150 Baht and 500 Baht, depending on how successfully the taxi driver switches off the meter during the drive.

Nevertheless, due to her affirmations that I would also fail in this task of finding the free shuttle, I decided to call Plai. I asked where in the airport I would need to go to catch the shuttle, but the combination of the bad phone line, thick accents and language barriers meant that at the end of the conversation, I knew the shutte was at the airport. Nothing else. Next step; Google it.

This was far more successful. Someone on Agoda.com had left a comment saying that the shuttle was difficult to find, but it is on the 2nd floor, directly opposite gate 4. I took this advice and, after wandering around for a long time, going outside then back inside and asking three or four people for help, I found the person who organised the shuttle for Plai. Annoyingly, he wasn’t even wearing a t-shirt for Plai Garden, he was wearing one for another hotel. Go figure.

FYI – you are looking for a person, not an actual vehicle. The second floor of Bangkok Airport is the same floor as the baggage carousels and customs. The exits leading outside are all numbered – number 1 is closest to the carousels – go to gate number 4. If you stand within the building, with your back to gate 4, then you will see a bunch of people from various hotels trying to coax you to booking with their hotel. They are all standing behind a waist-high silver guardrail. Obviously you already have a reservation with Plai, so simply walk over to any of those people and tell them you’re looking for the Plai Garden shuttle. They will point you to the right person (who will have your name on a list of arrivals). You might have to wait a few minutes with them while the shuttle makes its way back to the airport, but you’ve found it so do a little dance! I certainly did.

So, the actual hotel. Initially, I was very happy (especially having discovered the shuttle location), and was still quite happy until in my room. We’ll get to that.

The shuttle driver was polite and efficient. I was glad he knew where he was going because the highway exits and so on we had to take were just ridiculous. The drive took about 7 or 8 minutes. It was a car Airport-Plai (I arrived shortly before midnight), but the next morning I was taken in a 12-seater van Plai-Airport. When we got to Plai, a young man rushed outside and carried my bag in for me. I felt bad for him because it was heavy and huge, but I was grateful not to have to do it myself. I booked in, got my key, and was taken to my room by the same bell boy (who carried my bag there again). My sister warned me that the elevator might not be working so I could have to take the stairs – the elevator was working, so no problems there, but there’s only about 20 stairs between each floor anyway. The bellboy turned on the lights for me, turned on the air con (an absolute necessity in somewhere as hot and stuffy as Bangkok), explained that my key had to be in the slot by the door in order for the electricity to work. I thanked him and he left.

Once alone in my room though, things got worse.

There was a long hair in the sink that was not mine. There was another long hair wrapped around the chain for the plug – and there was no plug on the end – so I began to wonder when this room had last been cleaned. With a critical eye I continued looking around room 412, and was not very happy with what I found. There was no soap by the sink, nor a little wrapped soap for my use anywhere. There was a few black hairs on the sheets of my bed and the sheets themselves felt a little bit damp, though I think that is unavoidable due to Bangkok’s climate. In the shower the soap holder had definitely not been cleaned for a good few months. The drain grill in the shower had been removed and was sitting on the floor of the shower (so if you dropped an earring, for example, it would go straight down the drain). The shelf above the sink, like the shower soap holder, had not been cleaned for many months. More hair on here, too. The bottles of water were both glass, and apparently you need to leave the empty bottle in the room otherwise they’ll fine you 40 Baht. The bottles weren’t in the fridge either, so while it was great to have water there after the flight, having it cold would have been so much better.

Alternatively, there were some good things. I didn’t endure any noise from the neighbours during my stay, though I did arrive around midnight and leave my room at 7am the next morning. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were just right. The air conditioner did its job throughout the night to keep the room cool. The television worked fine, though I did have to pull out the batteries from the remote control and put them back in to make it work. There were plenty of English channels to enjoy if I so desired to watch TV. The bottles of water, despite not being cold, were fresh and clean. The shower was hot and had no issues with flow. I didn’t use it, but there is a dispenser for shampoo and body wash in the shower for the guest’s own use. There is a lot of counter space in the room for you to spread out your things. There is 2 plug outlets by the mirror in the room, and another behind the bedside table. Having a chair in the room was nice to hang my things on.

Unfortunately I didn’t have enough time in the morning to try the free buffet breakfast, but I did need to borrow some scissors from the front desk to cut zip ties from my bags, and they obligingly lent me the pair from the front desk. The front desk staff were helpful and friendly, and I feel that if I had had any issues they would have done their best to resolve it. As I am not overly squeamish, I didn’t mention the lack of cleanliness in my room as it simply didn’t bother me that much. I just put my belongs on the clean surfaces. I forgot to ask for the WiFi password when I first arrived, and I realised when I went to use my computer before bed, but by then I was too tired, comfortable and in my pajamas to bother going to the front desk (plus I couldn’t get the stupid phone to call front desk, so I just gave up and went to sleep, which in hindsight was a good decision).

Overall it was all right. I am going back in a few months for my stopover on the way to Australia, so I will re-review to see how the experience differs then.

Room Tip: Make sure you get air conditioning. I guarantee you will regret it if you don't.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Lampang, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

The staff were friendly, the room clean we got a wake-up call and efficient free transfer to the airport. Asked for non-smoking but didn't get it, which would have been okay were it not for the dirty ashtray in the bathroom. Street food a short walk away, overpriced street food 50 baht for moo grob.

Good free wifi clean, quiet. Showing some wear and tear but excellent value. Only complaint the ashtray.

Perfect for the purpose of getting a very early plane. Airport Line only runs from 6am.

Lift is up some stairs a slight problem with a heavy bag.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at the Plai Garden for one night only. The lift was not working and the premises looked dirty. Bedroom was ok. Breakfast is not included, they offer the service but overcharged.
Be careful if you let the staff call a taxi for you, getting to the center coast 350 Baht.
Overall good value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Close to airport. But if youre trying to be close to the airport, I would consider finding a hostel off one of the stops of the city line metro/subway station. It goes from the airport into part of the city. Cheap, easy, and will save you time and money, forget taxis, and jump on the city line bus.

Staff was not very nice nor helpful.. Rooms okay, value okay: air conditioned which is a plus, but the shower flooded every time, rather than eating at the hostel, we walked about 5 minutes toward the main road and ate some amazing authentic thai food from the street vendors. 50-100b for 2 people. I think the hostel charged 150b for breakfast with eggs. Glad we skipped it.

Other than that costs 50b a day to leave your luggage for an extended amount of time. Which is about 10x what other hostels charge so do your research. 150 to get from the airport to the hostel (again just find a hostel off the city line and avoid it all together.

• Stayed April 2013
taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Clean, pleasant staff, close to airport, free wifi, cheap. Perfect as a stopoff before resuming journey in morning. I'd stay there again without reservation. Gets five stars for doing what it needs to do and providing extreme value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jdgang
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Average airport hotel. Clean rooms with airconditioning.

Staff wasnt really friendly and the restaurant's food wasnt good, but nothing you cant survive if you just stay here one night.

Took me an hour to find the airport pick up, they werent in the spot where we were supposed to meet, so had to find an outlet to charge my phone and call the hotel. The receptionist barely spoke english. An hour later and after asking twenty people my pickup was finally there, but no apologies were made.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
#314 of 851 in Bangkok
Grand Inn Come Hotel
Grand Inn Come Hotel
#3 of 5 in Racha Thewa

Been to Plai Garden Guesthouse? Share your experiences!