“With just a bit more effort!”
Review of Vanilla Hotel

Vanilla Hotel
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Ornos
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Just come back from a week at the Vanilla and just like the Island of Mykonos as a whole, there are many things I lke about the Vanilla but there's a couple niggles that just take the shine off the the experience. For example, the hotel's general location is superb, close to Ornos beach and Mykonos town, however the road the Vanilla is on is terrifying! That said all the roads in Mykonos are hazardous for pedestrians, most people prefer to take their chances on 50cc Quad bikes! There is a coastal road from Ornos into Mykonos which looks like it would be a nice walk, if you were prepared to risk being run over!!! The rooms were OK, the air con was free and the maid service was regular and thorough. The pool area was fine but oh so dull! There is a pool bar but it lay dormant gathering dust the whole time we were there, there's no music and no pool side atmosphere, consequently the whole place seemed austere and unfriendly! With just a little effort the hotel's pool area could be turned into a much warmer friendlier place. In a similar way the breakfast is OK, but with a little more effort it too could be made so much more appealing. There is another bar directly adjacent to the Vanilla hotel, I don't think it is part of the hotel and on the plus side it was very cheap, however I got the impression it is a local bar for local people! A bit worryingly there was always a group of guys in the pool room with the doors kept shut!
To conclude then, the Vanilla is OK, quite good value and to be honest if you're young and in Mykonos to party all week, who could blame you, you won't care about the dull pool area or mediocre breakfast, you will however love the easy access to the bus into Mykonos town or the Ornos water taxi to Paradise or Super Paradise!

1  Thank Figs71

Reviewed July 7, 2014

My experience of Vanilla Hotel was a positive one, I got a pool view room when I was expecting a garden view one when booked through Thomson. Greek hotels are very basic, but this hotel slightly exceeded my expectations.

Room 14:- Had a pool view, was on the ground floor and was at the end of the corridor, had a fairly private balcony. The room itself was not a bad size, the air con worked well (included in hotel price where sometimes in Greece its charged extra), flatscreen tv but only 1 channel was in English. The shower was slightly annoying where its a hand held shower and the shower curtain kept sticking to you (not the most hygienic of things) and the water went on the bathroom floor which did dry after a while. The corridor outside the room smelt of sewerage most of the time, luckily this didn't go into the room! The free wifi worked ok. There is a bar next to the hotel and they played loud music very late a couple of nights and this didn't go down too well with some hotel guests.

The swimming pool is salt water and seemed clean. There were sunbeds available most of the time, and it did get very windy (gale force) around the pool at times.

The breakfast was ok with the usual selection of bread, pastries, cheese, ham, scrambled eggs, sausages, cereal, coffee, juice etc. I noticed quite a lot of flies in the breakfast area though.

The location of the hotel is good, very close to a supermarket, bakery and bus stop, and the beach is a 5-10 minute walk. The road outside is dangerous though, there's no path and at night it is not lit with vehicles flying down the road fast. The closest bus stop to go to the town is at Korfos outside the hairdressers, but if you wanted a seat it was better to walk down to Ornos beach even though this meant going to the next village and coming back past the Korfos bus stop. There are a good selection of restaurants in Ornos so no need to keep travelling into the town at night for expensive meals.

I wanted to hire a car while in Mykonos to visit more of the island and I asked the nice guy at reception and he was very helpful and sorted this out for us, I was a bit concerned about hiring a car after reading some bad reviews of the companies on the island, but the company the hotel used was reliable and we had no problems, they even delivered the car to us and collected it from us. Would recommend visiting Fokos beach, it's very picturesque and quiet.

Based on the room that I had, I would recommend this hotel for a relaxing break and would probably return if visiting the same area.

2  Thank X444KAT
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Having just returned from our holiday in the Vanilla Hotel i felt i had to warn anybody who wants to book this hotel.On arrival at this hotel we were very disappointed by the location which was by a busy road which had no pavement to walk on and every time you ventured out it was a nightmare. Our room was so small Thomsons Brochure said phone in room there was no phone and also said satellite TV well that was a joke you could only get one channel in English out of 22. A couple of good points were the A/Con was good and the rooms are cleaned everyday, we booked room 34 as on trip advisor people said go for that one what a mistake so small horrible.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel while on our 10 day trip to Greece. The room was booked for 2 twin beds and when we arrived they had 1 full size bed. When we spoke to the lady at the front desk she laughed in our face and said whats wrong with sleeping with your girlfriend. I told her that was not what I paid for and I did not appreciate her laughing at there mishap. We ended up sleeping in the room which they swapped out the full size bed for 2 cots which one broke as soon as I sat on it..The next day we were moved to another room but the beds are hard and size of room was very small. This hotel was awful, they were very rude and woke us up in the morning with there loud houskeeper who repeatedly knocked on our door bc we were not ready when she wanted to clean our room.. please dont ever go to this hotel I was very disappointed with everything....

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Natasha L
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Lovely small hotel, great location, short walk to bakery, food market, bus stop, Ornos beach. roughly 35-40 rooms, most have very small balcony overlooking the pool, 3 rooms sit back and have a courtyard, rooms 32,33 and 34, which are better as more private except 33 and 34 are on top of each other. I would recommend room 32.
rooms are cleaned and linen changed every day.
Ornos beach is great, and from there you can get a sea taxi to the other southern beaches, recommend Paraga and super paradise.
Bus to Mykonos town is approx. 5 mins and approx. Euro1,60. Recommend hiring a quad bike 25 euro for 1 day and seeing the rest of the island. Fokos beach is brilliant, rustic and just beautiful

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank LLandJL
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I booked this hotel back in February for two nights for my lovely vacation to the Greek Islands, but it was the worst experience that I had in my vacation. I arrived at this hotel with my daughter at 6:00am coming from Athens; as soon as with arrived at the hotel a very nasty guy who was in the front desk told me that was to early for to check in and I understood it, I know that the check in at the hotels is late around 12pm, so he told me have a sit and wait until 12:00pm. I asked him if we can have a breakfast and he said no you have to paid 10 euros. So we decide to wait a little time and then go around to look for something to eat and walk to Mykonos town and enjoy the time on the Island. We came back at 1pm expecting that our room would be ready, but the surprise was that another guy who was in the front desk told us that the room was not ready because they have a problem with the shower in the room and they have to send us to another hotel. These people over book the hotel and when you arrive here they treat you with a very nasty attitude and never you receive from them any apology. Please do not book this hotel for any reason; it is the worst in Mykonos Island. If you need a hotel look for something else. The Ava hotel where they relocated us is fine, but the point is the irresponsibility from VANILLA HOTEL.

Room Tip: Look for another hotel
Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank mas62
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Lovely quiet Hotel, close to the Lovely Beach at Ornos, which has wonderful Restaurants it's also very close to Mykonos Town, the staff were wonderful and helpful I didn't catch the male receptionists name but he was very helpful, but Jenny what a wonderful personality she is, we'll never forget her so accommodating, and the owner who was around quite a bit, was very nice, anyway we had a fabulous break and also adopted a Greek Dog which we're flying back ASAP

Room Tip: Facing the Pool
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ornos
Yiannaki Hotel
#44 of 82 in Mykonos Town
Corfos Hotel
Corfos Hotel
#9 of 22 in Ornos

Been to Vanilla Hotel? Share your experiences!