“Lovely hotel within short walk of Ornos beach”
Review of Vanilla Hotel

Vanilla Hotel
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Ornos
Surrey
“Lovely hotel within short walk of Ornos beach”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Lovely small hotel, great location, short walk to bakery, food market, bus stop, Ornos beach. roughly 35-40 rooms, most have very small balcony overlooking the pool, 3 rooms sit back and have a courtyard, rooms 32,33 and 34, which are better as more private except 33 and 34 are on top of each other. I would recommend room 32.
rooms are cleaned and linen changed every day.
Ornos beach is great, and from there you can get a sea taxi to the other southern beaches, recommend Paraga and super paradise.
Bus to Mykonos town is approx. 5 mins and approx. Euro1,60. Recommend hiring a quad bike 25 euro for 1 day and seeing the rest of the island. Fokos beach is brilliant, rustic and just beautiful

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank LLandJL

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
usa
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I booked this hotel back in February for two nights for my lovely vacation to the Greek Islands, but it was the worst experience that I had in my vacation. I arrived at this hotel with my daughter at 6:00am coming from Athens; as soon as with arrived at the hotel a very nasty guy who was in the front desk told me that was to early for to check in and I understood it, I know that the check in at the hotels is late around 12pm, so he told me have a sit and wait until 12:00pm. I asked him if we can have a breakfast and he said no you have to paid 10 euros. So we decide to wait a little time and then go around to look for something to eat and walk to Mykonos town and enjoy the time on the Island. We came back at 1pm expecting that our room would be ready, but the surprise was that another guy who was in the front desk told us that the room was not ready because they have a problem with the shower in the room and they have to send us to another hotel. These people over book the hotel and when you arrive here they treat you with a very nasty attitude and never you receive from them any apology. Please do not book this hotel for any reason; it is the worst in Mykonos Island. If you need a hotel look for something else. The Ava hotel where they relocated us is fine, but the point is the irresponsibility from VANILLA HOTEL.

Room Tip: Look for another hotel
Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank mas62

Travelers are raving about these Ornos hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Lovely quiet Hotel, close to the Lovely Beach at Ornos, which has wonderful Restaurants it's also very close to Mykonos Town, the staff were wonderful and helpful I didn't catch the male receptionists name but he was very helpful, but Jenny what a wonderful personality she is, we'll never forget her so accommodating, and the owner who was around quite a bit, was very nice, anyway we had a fabulous break and also adopted a Greek Dog which we're flying back ASAP

Room Tip: Facing the Pool
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Just back from a very chilled week in Ornos. This holiday reminded me of why Greece is the best holiday destination. Yes, small things go wrong but hey, the staff here just help you out and put it right.
Jenny is a fantastic employee, as are the cleaning lady and the waitress at breakfast. Breakfast taken in the sun, very relaxing. All the usual Greek items for breakfast and super fresh!
Ornos is beautiful. Hotel fantastic value for money, staff cannot do enough for you!! If you want to experience a small family run hotel in a beautiful Greek setting then book this!!
There are no children's activities as such offered by the hotel but the beach is a 5-10 minute stroll away.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Valerie L
NY
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

First the good points. The Vanilla Hotel is a fairly quiet hotel. The staff was helpful and friendly. They have decent internet service. The breakfast service was always well stocked and the staff very accommodating.

Now for the items that I think the hotel needs to improve upon. Hot water. For the first two nights, I took cold water showers. We told the front desk of the issue and their standard answer was, it'll be hot in 10 minutes. The hotel needs a major rehab. The staff does a good job keeping the old structure clean but most of the hotel needs updating desperately. Unless you're interested in walking to Ornos Beach, most of the shops and restaurants are located in Mykonos Town which isn't far but you need to take a bus, taxi or rent a vehicle of some sort. Absolutely no view of anything, except the pool.

Bottom line, in my opinion, this is a 1.5 star hotel. If you travel to Mykonos often, this may be a good place to sleep. If this is your one and only time, treat yourself to something better.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GLaker
Fresno, California
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

So, I sadly would have to report that I would not stay here again at all.
The staff was great. Very helpful and nice. I can't say I would ask for anything more in that regard. When we needed a atv or taxi, they set it all up. If we had a question, they had an answer. That part was great.
The location was fantastic as well. Close to everything you could want-within walking distance.
The beds though were like sleeping on cement slabs. We woke up so sore every morning. On the last day I could barely walk I was in such pain. We have never slept on such an uncomfortable bed. We didn't say anything because we assumed there was nothing that could have been done about it.
Bathroom was small (which is ok) and it flooded when you took a shower. Water was hot in the morning but not in the evening. Luke warm at best at night. I felt as though the hot water heater was not turned on at night.
We pretty much didn't have access to the internet the entire time. The place has wifi, but not reliable. You could use it for about 5 minutes a day.
Noise carried in the hallway. There were quite a few young people here. There was one night that a group of drunk girls came home and locked one of the girls out and she banged on the door and yelled for a good 15 minutes around midnight (perhaps a little after that).
Pool was fine. It was clean and large. It was cold, but so was the ocean at this time of year.
Food was bad. We decided to not eat here after 1 try. We just went to the bakery up the road instead.
Overall it just isn't worth the money. No amount of quality of service is worth the discomfort of the beds which was the worst part of it all. I am surprised we didn't read about them in past reviews to be quite honest. That is why I needed to write this review. I thoroughly read reviews of places before I book and was astonished at what we got here. I felt like I stayed at a totally different place than everyone else. Maybe our room was the only one with the bad beds... If so, don't get room 21.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2014

just arrived back from staying a week at the Vanilla hotel. Lovely people making us feel so welcome and Jenny - what a star an amazing crazy lady. Nothing was too much trouble and the hotel was spotlessly clean. Had my birthday there and it was the best one ever.
Met some fabulous people and didnt want to come home.Would recommend to anyone who wants a have a real chill of a holiday to book at this hotel no complaints whatsoever.We can only thank them for making our holiday perfect. Would go back again definately.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maureen k
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ornos
Yiannaki Hotel
#5 of 5 in Kalafatis
Olia Hotel
Olia Hotel
#5 of 6 in Tourlos

Been to Vanilla Hotel? Share your experiences!