“We never wanted to leave. We will be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Crusoe's Retreat

Crusoe's Retreat
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Coral Coast
Canberra, Australia
“We never wanted to leave. We will be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

What a wonderful hidden treasure this little retreat is.

The most friendly hard working staff (and manager) who catered to a personal touch.

We arrive on the Monday to a cold drink and a smile that was met with personal service. The resort is located next to a small village and if you wish you can help out the village and offer assistance, while they will welcome you into the village with a smile just to say hello.

The surprise candle light dinner on the beach was an absolute winner, we left the resort sadden to leave as we enjoyed our time so much, every minute of it.

This place is not designed to be a 5star hotel its a quiet out of the way place with easy going staff and guests. However, there is no difference between the service at a 5star resort, which we had just come from and the personal service we received at Crusoes resort.

Sit back relax maybe go for a snorkel go see Mary up the beach or just veg by the pool but don't miss happy hour.

And lastly we will be back if only to see little Grace again.

We cannot thank you enough for saving our sanity..... and our honeymoon.

VINAKA
Kaylah and Matt

Room Tip: Beach side is the go.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt M
Manager-CRM, Manager at Crusoe's Retreat, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Bula Vinaka Kaylah & Matt and thanks for your wonderful review of your stay with us at Crusoe's Retreat. We didn't want you to leave either! So happy that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us, and thanks for your very kind words about our resort, our service, and the 'feel' of a truly authentic Fijian resort. We do hope to see you again, very soon - perhaps on an Anniversary trip! Vinaka!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Arrowtown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

What an incredible holiday we had ( 2 Adults and 2 Kids) not sure where to even start about how great everything was.... The staff were magic and they made our holiday just as much as swimming, sunning, eating and drinking. If you want a "drop and Flop " resort this is it, lovely and quiet, yet enough people to really enjoy others company.

We had a Seaside Bure for the four of us and could not have been in a better location (magical)
we were there for 13 nights and could have easily done a another 13 (at least).

Get involved in all the activities available, they are so much fun, definetly do a snorkel dive, the Giant Clams are amazing, I have never seen anything like it.

The people from the village are an absolute inspiration, so caring and happy, we had read to take any old kids cloth's you may have so we took a bag with us, after giving them to one of the village parents and 1/2 hour later 5 kids came to the resort to say thank you and all sporting my son's and daughter cloths, they were all so happy.

To Helen and all the staff, THANK YOU / VINAKA, to Gracie ( Helens dauihter) my two kids loved your friendship.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a Seaside Bure, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Deucenz
Manager-CRM, Manager at Crusoe's Retreat, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Bula and thank you so much for your lovely review of Crusoe's Retreat. It was so nice meeting you, and we too wish you could have stayed for another 13 nights! We are all so happy and proud that you enjoyed yourselves, and we do hope that your family has an opportunity to return to Fiji very soon - and back to your new Fiji home at Crusoe's Retreat. Vinaka Vakalevu!
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

If you want to chill out and be away from the craziness. This is the place to be. There is a village that is next door and all the locals are so friendly! We even got invited to one of there houses because they loved my dad so much haha and i got invited to one of the bonfires there. I loved how friendly they were and how happy they are! I would definitely come back here just to see them again. One of the villagers was even kind enough to take us on a shopping tour around Sigatoka which was nice. Thank you for the pleasant stay.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jasmine H
Manager-CRM, Manager at Crusoe's Retreat, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Bula Vinaka Jasmine and thanks for your awesome review of Crusoe's Retreat. We are so happy you enjoyed your Relaxing stay at Crusoe's, and that you took advantage of the wonderful and unique opportunity we offer of spending time with the local Fijians in our neighboring village. To experience local Fiji village life firsthand as you have is what helps make Crusoe's such a unique and wonderful place. We do hope that you and your family return to Crusoe's Retreat very soon. Vinaka!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

My husband and stayed at Crusoe;s Retreat for 17 nights in May 2014. What a mistake!! I have to use a walking stick for mobility, and this Resort did not accommodate this at all. Some of the stair cases were 33 - 58 steps high. Some were very steep with differing step depths and heights and covered in moss. This made traversing theses steps outright dangerous for me. We were offered an upgrade only to find out later that this came at an extra cost $1000 which we ended up paying as there were no choices.
The pictures on Crusoe;s website do not match the Resort when you get there. While it was peaceful enough, the beach was not as "sandy" as the website suggests. The activites provided by the Resort were replayed on a weekly basis, even including the Trivia questions being the same - unbelievable!!
The Fijian staff were excellent, in total contradiction to the management staff, who were rude and obnoxious to say the least. During our 17 nights we experienced a change of management three times, yes three different managers, who contradicted each other when it came to discussing our upgrade. I will never return to Crusoe's Retreat, never recommend it for a holiday, and I have very little positive thoughts of our time there.
I would like to know what Travel Advisor uses as their criteria for the four star rating they have awarded the Crusoe' Retreat!
Maryann

Room Tip: Don't go to Crusoe's if you difficulty walking or with mobility, or if you ecpect profession...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Maryann K
Bula Maryann-
Thank you for your review of Crusoe’s Retreat, and thanks for your very kind words about our local Fijian staff, of whom we are so proud. We are quite surprised to read your review, as your feedback to our resort manager during your stay had been quite positive, mentioning that you were really enjoying your stay to us on several occasions. We understand that your limited mobility due to your recent knee surgery was an issue, and as we had discussed, you had serious concerns that your travel agent did not advise you that there are stairs at Crusoe’s Retreat. You arrived quite late in the evening and checked in to your SeaView Bure, which is located up on the hillside, and features gorgeous views of the resort gardens, beach and lagoon. When you spoke with us the first morning of your stay, you mentioned the difficulty you were having with the stairs required to access the SeaView Bure, so we offered to upgrade you to a Deluxe SeaSide Bure. The package price you paid through your travel agent was a highly discounted special, and this upgrade offer to you of FJD$1,000 was a VERY generous offer, considering the normal upgrade rate would have been over FJD$2,600 (you received a discount of over 60%). In Australian dollars, the upgrade price was only approx. AUD$575, or approx. AUD$36 per night, for a bure that would have normally cost you AUD$93 more per night. The other guests staying in the Deluxe SeaSide Bures next to you were paying our regular nightly rate, and I am sure you can agree with me that it would have been very unfair to them to simply give upgrades away for free, when guests have to pay to receive a much nicer bure accommodation.
As for the resort itself, we promote Crusoe’s Retreat as a simple, relaxed, casual, traditional Fijian beach resort. We do not pretend to be anything we are not - we are a 3-star beach resort, offering a truly relaxing, truly authentic Fijian holiday.
We are perplexed about your comments about our Resort Management. During your 17 night stay, you personally met and spoke with our Resort Manager, our Resort General Manager, our Marketing Manager, and even the Resort owner. There were no resort management changes during your stay, and to claim there were several changes in management is simply untrue.
We are sorry that you were so unhappy about your stay at Crusoe’s Retreat. During your stay with us, we received many excellent reviews and feedback forms from your fellow guests. It seems that Crusoe’s Retreat was simply a bad fit for you, and had you advised us that you were so unhappy, we would have done our absolute best to relocate you to a resort that would have been more suited to your needs. As we already stated, you had told our resort manager that you were really enjoying your stay with us, so we assumed that all was well.
While we understand that you may not have been happy about unexpectedly having to pay for an upgrade to our nicest Deluxe SeaSide Bure, we were under the impression that you were appreciative of the huge discount we offered for the upgrade fee. Again, we are sorry to now hear that you were unhappy with your stay with us at Crusoe’s Retreat. We continue to strive to make Crusoe’s Retreat a special place, and we do hope that you returned home with some special memories of Fiji. Thank you.
Caloundra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

I visited Crusoe's as a solo traveller who needed some recovery time after some frazzly travel months in Mexico. I wanted quiet, beauty, and a bit of friendly company- got all of this at Crusoe's. The layout and staff/activities encourage people to interact e.g they introduce new arrivals to the other guests at dinner- an interesting touch, a little like a 'holiday camp' but very warm and it works! Also free afternoon tea with homemade cake is a great idea to bring people together as well as the usual 'happy hour'. I loved the singer who played through that time.. and how the staff would join in fave songs in between serving. The guitarist let me borrow his guitar too which I really appreciated. The staff seemed genuinely warm cos they were nice people not because it was their job.

I had a hire car so I could also leave if I chose. Mostly I just stayed there, though I was glad I could go out some days (for rafting- I had fun picking up local hitch-hikers too, chatting and hearing them sing for me. The view from my upper level room was beautiful, I preferred it to the more 'posh' rooms down by the lawns/beach. The only small gripe I had was that the pillows smelled a bit musty- I'd understand that in rainy season but it was gorgeous/cooled down when I was there.
The food varied from great to so-so but was not overpriced and there is a reasonable variety. The best meals were the yummy lovo (fire fpt). Guests could help preparing that as part of the day's activities- similarly the kava night, which I appreciated.

Room Tip: The view from my upper level room was beautiful, I preferred it to the more 'posh' rooms dow...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank newgabe
Bula Vinaka and thank so much for your beautiful review (and great photos!) of Crusoe's Retreat. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for your very kind words about the resort and our lovely staff. It was indeed our pleasure meeting you, and we do hope that your travels return you to Fiji and your new Fijian home - Crusoe's Retreat. Vinaka!
Trinidad and Tobago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

If what you want is calm, beautiful surroundings, care and attention to detail, look no further. I wanted to get away from 'town' life in Suva for a Mother's Day weekend treat with my wife.'Atu' and his crew came through in every respect. There were just enough people around not to feel lonely but few enough to have a sense of having the place almost to ourselves. 'Di' worked hard to 'entertain'.. Not a large menu selection but each and every dish we tried showed off the great skill and excellent training of the chef. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and recommend the establishment highly to those seeking to relax far from the madding crowd. Try to ensure your taxi ride in from the main road is confirmed. 'Atu' managed this beautifully .. His weekend replacement less so.. But nothing really spoilt a most memorable long weekend. Special shout out to Mesake and his brother of the dive shop who went beyond their duties to make us feel welcome! An aptly named location..

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill C
Manager-CRM, Manager at Crusoe's Retreat, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Bula Vinaka Bill and thanks so much for your great review of Crusoe's Retreat. It was wonderful meeting you, and we are so glad that you enjoyed your short weekend getaway with us. Thanks also for sharing your great photos. We really appreciate your kind words about our staff, of whom we are so very proud. We do hope that you will be returning back for another visit very soon. Vinaka!
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at crusoes retreat with my boyfriend in November. The rooms are a bit old and outdated and ours didnt have air conditioning, but it is a 3 star property so thats expected. I enjoyed most dinners every night but the some of lunches werent very nice. It is a bit of an isolated location so I suggest buying some snacks and drinks in town before you head down to Crusoes as there are not many places nearby. We had a couple of lovely trips to a nearby village which made our stay really enjoyable. We had purchased a meal plan before we had gotten there so we spent barely any money at the resort! Maybe 500fjd between the two of us for 8 nights. All in all it was a great holiday but may not go back just due to the location.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica191
Manager-CRM, Manager at Crusoe's Retreat, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Bula Jessica and thanks for your review of Crusoe's Retreat. Glad to hear that you had a great holiday. Most of our guests select Crusoe's Retreat because of our privacy and seclusion. We are not your 'typical' Fiji Coral Coast resort. We are located off the beaten path, and our isolated location directly next to a traditional Fijian village is truly what sets us apart. Thanks again for your review. Vinaka!