“Love this place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Coral Coast
Brisbane, Australia
“Love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

After leaving a Out Rigger I was thinking, what have I done. I should just get on a plane and leave. Fiji is just trying to take my money and laugh at me…yes, I wasn’t in the best mood. I think my poor transfer driver!
I was greeted with warmth. The manager was there. I explained my bad mood and that there was a possibility that my card would not be working and wanted to confirm that my accommodation was paid. He even let me check my emails and email my work to ask to transfer my pay early as my credit card was not working!
I could of hugged him.
I was taken to my hut. It was awesome. Just what I needed. Massive on the inside, two double beds, kitchenette area leading into the bathroom area. Yep, not much, but clean and inviting.
The staff made sure I was welcome, the guests ended up being like long lost friends. We all wanted to share in experiences but also have out own time. We ate together, joked and of course.. beers an drinks together.
Wasn't the best weather there at that time. But hey- I wasn't at work, I had cold beer and people to laugh with.
I booked in a dive with a drop off at the other hotel and a pick up. I ended up only doing part of the first dive as had problems with my ear. On the way back the other hotel ended up dropping my off on the beach. Great to see hotels working together rather than not at all.
I just want to thank the crew at Crusoe's Retreat. Each of you make it that special place.

Room Tip: I am sure all rooms are amazing. but when i go there again I will be having a room on the grass agai...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kime75
Manager-CRM, Manager at Crusoe's Retreat, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Bula and thanks so much for your great review - we love it! While we were indeed very sorry to see that you were not very happy when you arrived, we were thrilled that you very quickly started enjoying your stay with us and your friendly fellow guests. It was our pleasure meeting you, and we thank you for having chosen Crusoe's Retreat for your stay. It is great guests like you that help make this a wonderful environment and experience. Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

We decided to break up our flight from Sydney to LA by stopping Fiji for 4 nights, to recover from our vacation. I really wanted a place on a real beach, with a view of something other than other tourists. This is why I did not want to be anywhere near the nightmarish tourist trap of Port Denarau. Most of the main island of Fiji is surrounded by a coral which makes the beach conditions less than perfect, but I was mainly interested in enjoying the view and snorkeling, so this was not an issue. The long beach in front of Crusoe's is extremely shallow during low tide, but the perfect depth for snorkeling/light swimming when the tide is in. Much of the coral had been damaged during a cyclone a few months prior to our visit, but I still found it to be an excellent area to explore. They also offer a glass-bottom boat trip.

The seaside bure is very spacious and comfortable, with an amazing view from the front porch. The staff there was very friendly, especially Alice, who was absolutely wonderful and charming. I enjoyed the afternoon happy hour at the poolside bar, overlooking the sea. The breakfast was good, as well as the the other meals. Given its isolated location, you are limited in dining options, which was never an issue for us (no one goes to Fiji for the food). There is one other resort about a 15 minute walk through the village or along the beach, but it was always empty when we dropped by (including the restaurant). There is a small village shop/minimart in the village, close to the beach. They offer various handicrafts, snack food, and a few fresh food options in their mini cafe. The people in the village were very friendly, and it is good to support them and the market.

The location, while not close to the airport, is 1/2 way between Nadi and Suva, allowing exploration of both areas. I harbor an intense fear and loathing of driving and renting cars on holiday, but I bit the bullet for this one, as the resort is in the middle of nowhere and I did not want to be at the mercy of the hotel shuttle or island buses. The good news is that the main island road is not very heavily traveled, so it is not a very harrowing drive. It is very scenic and easy two hour drive along the coast, passing through numerous villages.

Room Tip: We were very happy with the seaside bure, but none of the bures are in a terrible location. The sea...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bula and thanks for your review of Crusoe's Retreat. We are so glad that you did choose to break up your travels between Sydney and LA, and thank you so much for choosing Crusoe's Retreat. We like to think of ourselves as offering a truly relaxing, truly Fijian, beach resort experience. It most certainly sounds like you embraced this. Thanks again!!
Aussie In Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

We had 6 nights in the Seaside Bure's, the first three in the seaside Bure and three in the Deluxe Seaside Bure. We avoided the bures with the view of the ocean because of the steps. We were picked up by the hotel transport (car) which cost $Fiji 150 for the two of us, the trip took 2 hours. We had the meal package for 3 days which cost $Fiji 60 per person, of course breakfast is included anyway. The gardens are well kept and beautiful, the staff are all extremely friendly, the entertainment every night was fun. Some people would appreciate the happy hours for drinks. Very suitable place for families with children. It is 4 kms from the main road, a car is available to transport you to the main road for $Fiji 10 and from the main road you can catch many buses in either direction at very reasonable prices. The resort is staffed by personnel from the village next door which can be visited anytime for souvenir shopping and culture. We went to the Methodist church service on Sunday morning at the village and enjoyed the singing very much. Brett the manager at Crusoes, an NZer was very helpful and we really enjoyed meeting the other guests and having a very relaxing few days.

Room Tip: If you don't like many steps choose a Seaside Bure instead of a Seaview one.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Bula and Thanks for your great review of Crusoe's Retreat. So glad to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that you were able to spend some time in our friendly, neighboring village. We hope to see you again soon! Vinaka.
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had 4 nights away from Auckland, and truth be told hour into our transfer we were starting to wonder how long it would take. But the team at Pacific Destination got us there as quick as they could. Going along the metal road we knew this was going to be remote but that was just what we wanted. Arriving at night didn't allow us to see the beauty until we woke in the morning. We were greated by a big Fijian Smile and instantly felt part of the family. Our Bure was great, the fan kept us cool at night and the bed was very comfy. Falling asleep to the sound of the waves breaking on the reef, and the gecko's chirping, we know we were close to the water. But when they say Seaside Bure they really do mean Seaside. Looking out the door in the morning to blue sky and an amazing reef only 30m from the front door, I know this was going to be a good break away.

Fresh fruit every morning for breakfast and a good selection of cooked options. By 10am we were bathing on the waters edge.

Lunch was to time and plenty of activities to keep you entertained through the day. Drinks available throughout the day, including the Corona buckets, great way to have a beer and keep it cold at the same time. Priced cheaper than at home, we worked our way through the extensive cocktail menu. All amazing and well worth trying.

Over the 4 nights we met some amazing people and enjoyed the best Fijian hospitality around. The guys working out in the Water Sports office showed me the best places to snorkle and even went with me, pointing out the clams and different fish species.

Nothing was ever to much hassle and the staff were always there to help.

The Kava night was a real highlight, 8 bowls defiantly meant a relaxing sleep that night. Highly recommend getting a massage, and finding yourself at the pool side bar watching the world go by. It was very easy to forget about work and everything going on the world. I highly recommend visiting Crusoes and finding this special piece of Paradise. I have stayed at 5 star properties were you get treated like anyone else, but here you really are treated like family, always first name basis and every day topped the one prior.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wow Mike - what am amazing review of Crusoe's Retreat. Thanks so much for that! It was so nice meting you both, and we are so glad you chose Crusoe's Retreat for your out-of-the-way Fiji holiday. We like to think that Crusoe's Retreat is the 'true Fiji', and it most certainly seems that you got to experience this for yourself firsthand. We can't wait for you next visit - hopefully very soon. Vinaka!
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

We saw a picture in a magazine of bure (cabin) #1 at Crusoe's when we were looking for a place to celebrate me 65th birthday and although we looked at lots of interesting and colorful places (Tahiti, Bali, Curacao, etc.) we kept coming back to that picture. Our decision was made!! We arrived on Oct.21 and at supper I received a rousing edition of "Happy Birthday" from the staff! The staff are mostly Fijians from the village of Namaqumaqua which is with walking distance. The grounds are a delight of green and flowers of tropical wonder, fruit trees and coconut included! Over the next twenty days we had all kinds of remarkable experiences including traditional kava ceremonies, dinner at the village and multiple visits to their local store were we could look for original crafts and artwork as well as visit with the locals. We also made numerous side trips with transport provided, at a nominal fee, by staff of the Retreat. Meals at the restaurant were prepared with loving care and the menus varied from one day to the next. Mongolian stir fry once a week as well as "lovo", a traditional Fijian meal cooked in a fire heated and rock lined pit, truly mouth watering!! We were taken to a place where Fijian crafts and clothing of all sorts were available as well as a visit to a village known for it's traditional ceramics. At the village we participated in the welcoming kava ceremony and as such became welcome to return! Our trip to Sigatoka was an experience, but, we did find it quite noisy bustling compared to the peaceful quiet of Crusoe's!! We were never at a loss for something to do or just to sit back and REALLY relax!! A word of warning however!! Fiji is a tropical country and as such mosquitos are ubiquitous!! So, bring (or buy) a strong repellant and even some antihistamine for the ones that manage to get through the defenses!! All in all, this was a 20 day adventure I would repeat again (and again) as Crusoe's Retreat allows you to experience something unique and special, and, Fiji itself offer so much to explore!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Steven P
Bula Steven! Thanks for your great review of Crusoe's Retreat. While we like to call ourselves Fiji's Best Kept Secret, we do appreciate it when amazing guests like yourselves share their experiences about us. Thanks for your very kind words about our Resort, our people, and your experience. We do hope that you return, again and again. Vinaka!
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Travelled in May 2013. Took my 3 yr old, 12 yr old and 73 yr old Mum. Stayed in a seaside bure as didn't want stairs for my Mum and it suited us to a tee. Woke up to AMAZING uninterrupted views of blue sea, palms and completely what we had hoped for. HUGE expanse of green grass directly outside the bure for the little one to run to her hearts content. The occasional villager ambling past to harvest coconuts with a friendly BULA! We are not 5 star folk so the seaside bure was just perfect for us. All that we needed. I believe the "budget" accomodation was a better location and got lovely breezes. Talk about water front! The adjoining village was a huge draw card for me. We went to Sunday service (take a fan) and my little one was led by the children to sit with them. Language seemed no problem. To me this is what makes your holidays memorable. My 3 yr old swam and played with the village kids on the beach every afternoon and my 13 yr old made a friend as well. We went to the village a few times. There is a "store" there where we bought some souvenirs and soft drinks (heaps cheaper than the resort) and met some lovely people. They really are all friendly. They live a very simple life. We took some school supplies but maybe if you have room take some clothes, new or second hand, and shoes for the littlies.
BIG TIP. If you like your alcoholic beverages, take as much as you can. Our local bottle shop in Brisbane is cheaper than fiji duty free. Duty free shop at Brisbane airport is cheaper than fiji airport. The wine at the resort is very average and very very expensive but the cocktails at happy hour are delicious and about the same price you would pay at home. Once you are at the resort it is very isolated, so take what you need as a trip to the shops is an hour away. You might be able to pick up some snacky supplies half way in Sigatoka if you ask the driver, or take them in your luggage. We booked directly through the resort and the transfers were heaps cheaper. Didnt have to worry about deciding on the meal plan till we got there. The meal plan at Crusoe's is all you need and good value, but we didn't opt for it as we often skip lunch. It worked out about the same pricewise. Breakfast was yummy and we grabbed a piece of fruit and a muffin for the kids for morning tea as we all know they eat every hour! The little one's meals were free when we ate but she is a very healthy eater so the kids menu got tired very quickly. Would like to see some healthier options.
Due to the size of the resort, you get to know everyone. The after dinner activities were all free and fun. We took part in quite a few of the free activities as it gives you some insight into the culture. The Friday market of handicrafts from the resort is a nice opportunity to pick up some souvenirs. They are pricey but these people do not have much so be generous.
One week was enough for us. I believe the activities and menu are on a weekly rotation. My kids loved it. No kids club which we wouldn't have used. No TV which was great. They chased hermit crabs on the beach and played on the grass. Maybe take a few activities for them to do in the arvo chill times. All snorkel gear was free to use as were the kayaks.
Loved this place. It felt so personal. Was exactly like the brochures. There is no beach right out front but it starts on the edge of the resort and was just long enough for the sunset stroll. Fijians are a beautiful people. Fiji is a beautiful place. Crusoe's was perfect for us. Truly was a perfect holiday in paradise.

Room Tip: The seaside bures get the breezes and you walk out onto lush green grass. Great view from bure 11
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rosejam101
Bula Vinaka! Thank you so much for your remarkable review of Crusoe's Retreat. It sounds as if you had an incredible Fijian experience. We are so happy you enjoyed your 'perfect holiday in paradise'. Hope to see you again soon.
Vinaka Vakalevu
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I came over from NZ for a few nights and had a blast. Sure it is a long drive from the Nadi airport but if you want a peaceful break it's well worth it.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful, it seems like they have a good time and enjoy their work.

The food was very nice, be sure to include breakfast in your package and you may as well include the dinners too. Unless you pick up some on the way, it is the only option. The menu changes each night so you don't have to keep having the same thing plenty of choices. I'd fully recommend the village dinner on Tuesday nights, a great experience.

The rooms were good enough, we had the cheapest option which still had a great view and double shower.

The activities were fun too, lots of different things to try including boat trips and coconut tasting. Fun evening entertainment each night including Kava ceremony and a trivia quiz. Hopefully the other guests are into it too as they are more fun in groups.

Plenty of excursions available if you want to get out and about, the drivers are all very friendly and knowledgable.

All in all I'd fully recommend Crusoe's for a few nights R&R. Make sure you bring plenty of sun screen and insect repellent.

Marc & Natalia

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bula Marc & Natalia and thanks so much for your great review of Crusoe's Retreat. We hope you have returned home safely to Wellington, with great memories of your stay with us. Thanks for your very kind words about our resort, the activities, and our friendly staff. If you are ever looking for a few days of R&R, please consider returning to your new home in Fiji - Crusoe's Retreat. Vinaka.