“Great but go prepared”

Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Coral Coast
Sydney
“Great but go prepared”
Reviewed January 8, 2011

I have just arrived back from the Warwick Resort and below is my HONEST opinion of my stay. It should be noted that I was married here 2 years ago and SO wanted this holiday to be duplicated.
THE RESORT – 2 years ago it seemed like the resort concentrated on guests rather than the dollar, but it was definitely different this time around. 2 years ago non motorised sport were no charge, this time around you have to pay for some of them. Its just a feeling I had but it was definitely dollar driven this time around.. The music around the resort needs to be updated. There is a definite need for music in the pool area it would improve the atmosphere and there needs to one theme of music throughout the resort, if you are sitting in the sunset bar you can hear different music from the reception and from the night club, not to mention the trio that wander around singing (which is great). Seems trivial I know but when you are there its very distracting
ROOMS – we stayed in the Warwick Club rooms, king size bed very spacious and neat. We had turn down service each night which was a nice touch. Cleaning was carried out every morning and the service was excellent. The downfall of the room was the TV. Given that the guests at the Warwick would be 80% English speaking patron you would expect that the TV would have the majority of English speaking channels, but this is not the case. 3 out of about 15 channels were English speaking, the other channels were 2 x Chinese, French, Russian, Al Juzee,, fashion and 1 cartoon show. There were movie channels but at FJ$19.95 per movie its was a little pricey. They desperately need Foxtel or similar. Those who say you don’t stay in your room that’s true but when it rains regularly its nice to spend time watching a bit of TV.
POOL AREA – it is obvious that there is no pool maintenance I say this because of the black mould in the hush pool and the thick scum around the top of the main pool cause by possibly sun block. Either way you cant really lean agains itt in a white rash vest or you get a brown stain on it. There was a light just near the steps where little kids hang around that had come off the pool wall and had exposed wires, we reported it but it fell on deaf hears. The seating area is not adequate for the amount of people that use the main pool, the hush pool area has plenty of seating including 2 x cabanas and 5 x umbrellas, where the main pool has a total of 36 deck chairs with 4 x umbrellas, there is just no respite from the sun if you are not one of the first to ‘secure’ you spot in the morning. I will say what I said 2 years ago, they need some sort of shade cloth over the main pool area.
MEALS/DRINKS – if you have a chance to have your meals and/or drinks included in the package my advice is to take it, you definitely wont regret it. We booked a room through the Internet and got a great price that’s why we didn’t have the package. We did enquire about the meal package at the reception and it was available but at FJ$80 per day we just couldn’t justify it, as it was we didn’t really spend that much per day on food. Meals are expensive don’t be fooled, a hamburger at the pool side grill was FJ$23 (A$15) at dinner the meal price rose significantly, we dined at the Italian restaurant and ordered the Mariana Pizza, at FJ$45 you would think that would be a family size pizza, but it wasn’t, it was a 6 inch pizza for one person, maybe it wouldn’t have been an issue had it been nice, but it was just average. So if you can get the meal package grab it. The drinks reasonably price when you compare it to Australia, if you had the drink package its definitely worth it. The only suggestion I can make is that there needs to be some variation in the Bula Brassiere, its like groundhog day if you haven’t got the meal package. The Italian restaurant is very nice and food is pretty good, but you pay through the nose to eat there.
WARWICK LOUNGE – unless its included in your price and you get a great deal don’t pay the extra because its definitely not worth it. The lounge opens for continental breakfast then closes until afternoon tea. Afternoon tea is nice and the coffee is really good, the food included is average and you only get minimum amounts which I found funny seeing as we were the only ones in the club lounge at times. Pre-dinner drinks was pretty good you get a couple of drinks in between 5.30 – 7.00pm and again minimum food. This was included in our room deal so it wasn’t a biggy but I definitely wouldn’t have paid extra for it. The staff (in particular Maelita) were fantastic and always greeted you by name and always had a smile for you.
MANAGEMENT – I was disappointed knowing that the General Manager wandered around day in, day out and not once did he approach guests to ask them how they were enjoying their stay. He lost a fantastic opportunity at the Xmas Eve cocktails to get up on the stage and welcome everyone but failed to do this. Had it not been for a staff member I asked who this person was, I would still be at a loss. He never wore a name tag, yet the resort manager Jack did. I don’t know if he is a permanent resident at the resort (he was staying in one of the suites there) if he is he needs to mingle with guests to get feed back, I would have loved to give him this feed back Im writing.
PROUDS – the resort now has Prouds which sells perfume/jewellery, my advice be very very careful of the staff in this shop. They will give you a Fijian price and convert it to Australian, you think it’s a great price until you realise they are dividing at the exchange rate of $1.76 when the resorts exchange rate is $1.53. They will hand out brochures for the store, if you find something cheaper in that brochure that is significantly marked up in their store, they will tell you that the brochure doesn’t apply at their store, it’s the city store, they are very deceitful and should not be trusted. Again this is where management should be stepping in.
I tried so hard to write a positive review on this resort, I wanted it so bad because its where we were married, but I have to be honest and those who go can make up their own minds about the Warwick, this is to help those who are undecided. Don’t get me wrong, the Warwick is a great resort and still one of the top resorts in Fiji, you just need to go there prepared.
TIP - if you havent got the meal/drink package or just have the meal package, apply for the Warwick Club card A$25 you received 10% off the final bill when checking out. Dont get too excited about the free upgrade, I tried to get it and the FREE upgrade was going to cost me FJ$75 per night!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
30 Thank OZZYJT
Brad D, General Manager at The Warwick Fiji, responded to this review, April 14, 2017
Bula from Warwick Fiji,

We note you stayed with us some time ago and wanted to let you know we have continued to invest heavily into the resort and its team members to ensure we are surpassing our guests experiences and ensure we remain one of the leading resorts in Fiji.

We welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us again when next looking to visit Fiji and the famous Coral Coast.

The Warwick Fiji team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (780)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed January 3, 2011

We had Christmas at the Warwick and flew home on New Years Eve. This was our second stay at the hotel having visited in October 2008. Worth joining the Warwick Club if you are booking, check the Warwick website. You get some discounts and priority bits and pieces.

Some things to note.

The food is a good standard, not haute cuisine, but huge servings and would stand up well against most suburban restaurants in Australia. Breakfast is the usual choice of bacon, eggs, sausage, toasts, baked beans, , danishes, omelettes, pancakes, juices etc etc. They do percolated coffee at your table but if you want to pay $5 Fijian you can go and get a Robert Harris coffee at the counter at the end of the Bula Brassere. I challenge anyone to finish the seafood platter at the Wicked Walo restaurant. It is supposed to be for 2 people, but really feeds more like 4. Put it this way, they have to clear your table just to get the platter on it. Whole fish, oysters, mussels, prawns, lobster and we did order the extra crab. We have paid a lot more and got a whole lot less in Australia. You can use your all inclusive credit against the meal and so really does not cost much. Worth booking early and make it your 'last night' place to visit.

Have lunch on the pool deck. The Bula burger is good value. The fries and wedges are excellent. The rotisserie chicken was nearly half a chicken and then it came with wedges and salad. Any wonder we didn't fit any of our clothes when we got home.

The staff are friendly, ok sometimes you have to ask for a drink a second time, but at least you don't get the attitude which would come if you asked in Australia. Also 'who cares?' you are on holiday, put the mobile away and stop checking your emails for a Fiji Minute and just relax.

The Fiji newspaper gets delivered to your room each day and it is worth having a good read, you get all the news from home and lashings of Bollywood gossip. You also get to understand a lot more about Fiji and can catch up on the post Christmas sales. If you want to go into Sigatoka to do some shopping make sure you book early for the daily bus from the hotel.

The shops here were really good and they now have a Prouds. Ladies look to purchase Pandora, Pure Fiji body products and other top jewellery brands. With the aussie dollar so much stronger now you can make some good savings. eg. I bought Pure Fiji at under $10 Australian when if you buy it over the web you pay $30. The trick of course is if you are going to do some retail therapy, do it all in one day. If you spend $500 Fijian in one day at approved retailers you can claim your VAT when you get to the airport on the way home. You go to the VAT counter and when you claim the money back from the ANZ upstairs you can get the money back in either Fijian or Australian dollars. The Jacks, Tappoo and Prouds at the Warwick will give the the correct paperwork for your purchases.

We purchased masks from Jacks and had no problem getting them through customs when we came home. Just check for any sign of borers. All their products were treated wood.

I had the hot rock massage at the spa and can recommend it. Book in advance they can be busy.

If you want to get away from the pool bar and children, use the pool at the Suva wing. Only issue we have every had with this is that the bar at this pool is closed a lot of the time. The trick is to order drinks at the other bar and just take them with you.

Take part in the sarong tying lesson at the pool side. I can now tie one properly in many different ways.

Play the nightly Bula Bingo for a bit of fun. You can win tshirts, sarongs, cocktails and trip vouchers. We played over 4 days and won 2 beautiful sarongs, a cocktail and a paddle boat trip. It only costs $5 Fijian.

Take the all inclusive food and drink deal, we have done this twice and it is worth every cent. Just make sure you pace your drinking of alcohol. Fiji is not big on measuring of spirits and a glass of the house wine is really 2 1/2 of what you would get at home. I was also pleasantly surprised by the standard of the wine, it is actually De Bortolis from the Yarra Valley in Victoria. The trick is to drink non alcoholic drinks in between alcoholic drinks. The non alcoholic cocktails are really good and a great way to keep up your fruit intake. It is also worth taking some meals in the evening off the al la carte and using your all inclusive deal as a credit. Most meals we struggled to eat 3 courses.

Ignore the weather warnings for Nadi, the Warwick on the Coral Coast gets a lot more sunshine and a lot less rain. A touch of rain sometimes in the afternoon is about the most we got.

The disco is at the Nadi end of the hotel and if you have young children it is worth asking for a room in the Suva wing as the disco can go on until late. We did stay in the Nadi wing and were at the top but you could hear the music. May I suggest the resort turns down the music when it gets late as I would hate to think how loud it must be in the actual night club and some of the surrounding rooms.

The Tappoo shop sells bits and pieces such as chocolate and chips, and with the conversion back to Australian dollars it is not too bad, a bag of chips was $5 Australian. Expensive stuff is sunscreen, berocca etc. Bring this stuff from home. Also pack the good old imodium, a bad day in the sun and not drinking enough non alcoholic fluids can really knock you around.
If your driver from Nadi can stop at Sigatoka and show you the supermarket it is worth a quick stop for chips, chocolate and soft drinks. We like to have these so we can have a drink in our room late in the evening. Don't let them take you elsewhere. Also worth grabbing some clothes washing liquid if like me you like to do some bits and pieces of washing during your stay. There are bottle shops in Sigatoka as well.

Cigarettes are much cheaper at the airport at Nadi, but not as big a range as in Australia. Booze was a little cheaper, or about the same. They will do you a deal and you can pay in Australian or Fijian. Nadi airport has seriously improved its shopping. The Warwick also lets you settle your bill in Australian dollars. They do add a 3% surcharge for credit card payments, but we found it cheaper even with conversion to pay on the credit card as the bank gives you a better rate even if you include the fx fee.

Check your hotel bill the night before you check out, it saves you time and lets you query anything odd amounts. We found we had been charged for some items which should have been on the all inclusive. They took these amounts off our bill with no problem.

8 Thank Sasha C

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 2, 2011

*I've never written a long negative review like this, but I feel compelled to. The only reason I'm giving the hotel 2 stars is because the rooms and the grounds of the hotel are very nice, the housekeeping staff were very on top of things, and the grounds crew were friendly. I also really liked the spa.

There is a gorgeous photo of a dining room in the water that is on Warwick website...THIS DINING DOES NOT EXIST. Just thought I'd mention that.

I have to say that we are not "high class" travelers and we decided to spend some extra money on the Warwick because it generally has great reviews and it was our honeymoon. Also, I was a server/bartender for over 8 years...I completely understand how difficult it can be and I am extremely lenient when it comes to judging service! With that said, the service in the restaurants/bars was HORRENDOUS. There were several times when we sat waiting for drinks for 20 minutes and sometimes meals took almost 2 hours. We were often ignored and RARELY received smiles. Trying to make the best of it, we found ways to entertain ourselves. During one meal at the italian restaurant (our only really good tasting meal was there and the omelets at breakfast) we started paying attention to other guests to make sure we just aren't impatient or something. Almost everyone was looking around for a server or sitting at their table looking totally irritated. This was the same during other meals, as well. I can't figure out why there are so many great reviews on this site. Maybe it's a place you only want to go to if you have children?

The all-inclusive really should be called 1/2-inclusive. We had to pay $8 each (when we made our reservation) for some sort of "welcoming session" where they are supposed to explain the hotel to us and how the all-inclusive works. We were handed an envelope and told to read the contents...and we paid $16 for that?! We were given mis-information by staff members about what was included (there were extra things going on because of Christmas/New Year's Eve) and we were charged for things we should not have been charged for. We eventually started relying on asking other guests, who were much more friendly!

The first room we were given was 127. We paid extra for an ocean view room when we made our reservation. If we stood on the patio, moved the shrubbery out of the way, and looked beyond the pool, we had a glimpse of the ocean. The sunlight was also blocked from entering the room because of the shrubbery. We asked if we could change rooms and the next morning we were taken to room 297...this room was perfect with an amazing view!

I understand the concept of Fiji Time and that it's important to just chill out and relax, but I felt like they were using Fiji Time as an excuse for horrible service. It's hard to relax when you have your spicy food in front of you and nothing to drink because the server hasn't come back to check on you for 40 minutes. We were definitely not happy when the driver taking us to the airport to go home was 40 minutes late and he blamed it on Fiji Time. (I don't believe this was the fault of the Warwick)

One more thing, even if you paid for "all-inclusive" don't try to get into the big floating thing that they have in ocean. They will scream at you and tell you it's $10 for 15 minutes.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sabbysara

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I was so looking forward to spending Christmas /New Year at the Warwick after having spent a wonderful week at a resort in Thailand just a month before. I ended up pretty disappointed.

I'll start with the good:

Resort looked nice.
Most staff around the resort were pleasant and lovely to the children.
The kids activity centre was good.
Rooms were generally nice, apart from holes in the blankets and dirty sheets. Floors weren't swept the whole week we were there and some days you'd get one towel, others half a dozen.
Food at the Wicked Walu Seafood restaurant was really nice and the service there was absolutely the best anywhere at the resort. No orders were mixed up, the right drinks and meals arrived.

Now the bad:

Reception staff took 4 days to tell me how to book a shuttle bus to the airport for my departure. Every day I went up there and was told to 'come back tomorrow' or' we'll call your room and let you know'. I finally had enough (the day before I was leaving) and demanded that it be sorted out. It only took another 24 hours from then for them to actually make a phone call and book it. Not that the bus driver had any record of it when he arrived anyway and I had to insist that I'd paid the $56 for a ticket just so i could leave and get my flight home.

When I finally got on the shuttle bus it stopped at every other resort to pick up guests on the way to the airport. Every single place we stopped the porters thanked the guests for staying, asked if they enjoyed the experience and hoped they would return again.

Not at the Warwick. They just shoved everyone's bags in the bus and walked off. No communication whatsoever.

The same happened when we paid the bill and checked out of our room. Not a thanks for staying, did you enjoy the stay, care to provide any feedback, hope to see you again. Nothing. Hence my feedback is on here for the world to see.

I think the 'All inclusive' buffet meals are about on par with a poorly run RSL club in suburban Australia. If that's OK with you food wise then you'll have no problems here. Most of the food at the breakfast buffet is cold and its the same bland stuff every day.

I can deal with 'Fiji Time' and staff taking ages to do anything but at least 50 percent of the staff either didn't know or didn't care what drinks and food they were serving and my family were served incorrect meals and drinks on multiple occasions every single day we were there.

The staff in the Italian restaurant clearly don't know what a glass of Rose looks like because I was served a glass of (very nice) Shiraz which they insisted was 'Rose'. In the end I just gave up and drank it. Actually after a day or two we just all gave up and ate and drank whatever was put in front of us. It was just easier that way.

At least 30% of the items on the menus at the restaurants and eateries were 'not available' including the room service menu where I had to settle for my fourth option (out of 6 available). needless to say I didn't bother with room service again.

Because we were there over Christmas and New Year it was 'compulsory' that we pay for and attend the $130 New Years Eve dinner, that was basically a buffet like every other night, just with more food. We had to line up for half an hour just to get a drink and the food was only marginally better if you could get any, jostling amongst the crowd that was three deep around the tables clutching at oysters by the dozen.

Apart from the 'all inclusive' cheap local booze and food we had to pay for everything else. It's $10 for a smoothie or a sundae from the ice cream store, $10 for 15 mins for kids to play on the inflated bubble wheel sitting unused in the ocean out the front. There is no free internet either. It is $10 for 30 mins on a computer at reception or an even more exorbitant amount if you want to use the Wifi for your laptop or mobile device.

Of the 4 couples we spoke to while we were there, none were happy, most had been to other resorts in Fiji before and none said they would return to the Warwick. One couple complained to the manager about the quality of the new years eve dinner only to be told 'he has eaten at all of the best restaurants in Sydney etc, and the Warwick is on par'.

If you are a young couple and just want to plonk the kids in the pool or leave them at the activity centre so you can drink and eat without worrying about the cost then you will probably be happy at the Warwick I think.

BTW inclusive drinks are local spirits, local beer, house wine, soft drinks and water. Anything else like cocktails, bourbon or 'name' spirits will set you back close to $10 a drink.

I think the Warwick could be so much more, given the beautiful setting and layout of the resort, as it stands now I would never return when there are so many options close by that offer all the things that the Warwick doesn't seem to care about.

1 Thank senorpow

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 29, 2010

The Warwick was a fabulous family resort. We have a young son who absolutely loved the two pool areas. The beach/lagoon area is also a nice spot to spend some time during the day. The food was delicious especially the Italian restaurant at the resort. I wouldn't recommend the buffet but that's not because it was bad its just my preference to order from a menu instead. I can also thoroughly recommend the hot stone massage at the day spa and the deluxe spa pedicure too! The only downside would be the distant from all major attractions (its a 40 min drive approx from Nadi) but then again the Warwick is such a comfortable stay we didn't miss doing all the day trips we'd previously planned. Kula Eco Park is also good to take the kids too.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 25, 2010

At arrival Reception could not find our booking or record of our confirmation code. I had booked and paid for an ocean view room (many months prior) but after 45 mins (10.30pm by this stage) they put us in a room overlooking the concrete car park... The following morning Reception staff were not able to confirm that they could move us but fortunately did so at 2pm.. to a room overlooking the pool - not quite what I expected.

The service in the restuarants was great, but service in the buffett/brasserie was always mixed. Some staff were lovely, others brusque.

My daughter (8y.o) overall had a ball - she loved the beach, snorkelling, beach staff. She also made friends with the other kids on holidays. Fortunately, the bad service was not so noticeable to her.

At check out our bill was full of errors. I had been over charged aprox FJ$500 and Reception staff were quite unfriendly. The Manager arrived and he was exceptionally polite, however, it took several attempts for staff to make the adjustments and correct the bill.

I got the impression that the resort is set up to accomodate the 'all inclusive package' vacationers but not the 'voucher' system (and the kids eat for 50% adjustments). A note on the vouchers which we were recommended to take at check in... Staff advised that pre paying for vouchers would be cheaper - FJ$74 per day for lunch and dinner. However, when the adjustments were finally made (post the many bill corrections) staff only credited FJ$60 per day... No one could explain why I paid an extra FJ$14 per day for vouchers!!! Hence, the advantage of the vouchers was lost on me and combined with all of the bill errors, the wrong room, havng to change rooms, etc took the shine off the holiday..

Further, the gym was not included which is unusual in a resort - a charge of $10 per use applied. The pool was not clean and the spa was very cloudy.... The beach was lovely.

Unfortunately I would not to go back to the Warwick... and overall, was dissapointed.

3 Thank Kelly1408

Brisbane
Reviewed December 21, 2010

We were recommended this resort by a friend who had already been there twice. Wow! We absolutely loved it. The atmosphere was casual and fun. Our boys are 12 and 9 and they did not want to come home. The guys who run the activities are incredible. From the first morning they remembered our boys names and always went around involving all the kids in the activities. We didn't put the children in the kids club, there was no need.
Food! - I love my food and we are quite eclectic eaters, we enjoyed the food at the Warwick. Our favourite was Papagallo's (Italian). The Fijians were so friendly and I honestly think that Fiji Time...... is good. We had the All Inclusive package and it was excellent value.
We are already planning when we can go back and after travelling a fair bit with our kids, this is now our favourite relaxing place to be....................... BULA!!!

2 Thank busymumBrisbane

Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The Warwick Fiji? Share your experiences!