“Beautiful resort, beautiful people”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Warwick Fiji

The Warwick Fiji
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Coral Coast
Melbourne, Australia
“Beautiful resort, beautiful people”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stayed for 7 days in May with my husband and loved it. Weather was great, so spent a lot of time either on the beach or in the pool. Staff were great, I found the Fijians to be so warm and welcoming - always greet you with a huge smile. Food was good, but pool side BBQ a bit slow at lunch time when there are a few people around. Lots of activities to join in on, with a chance to learn about the culture at the same time! Only con I found was that the resort is a bit isolated with no other restaurants or shops around, so were resort bound unless you got a taxi or hired a car. Overall had a great time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Parjan
Brad D, Resort Manager at The Warwick Fiji, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Greetings and sunny salutations Parjan,

Thank you immensely for taking the time to add a review to our increasingly popular Tripadvisor page. You mentioned about the warm and welcoming experience you received by our team. If there is one piece of consistently exceptional feedback we get on numerous occasions everyday is our the friendliness and engagement of our staff. We are not the resort we are with out the personalities of the team and the management team are very proud to work alongside each and every team member.

We have a number of fabulous restaurants here at the resort however, there are also a couple of great restaurants/cafes close by for those looking for a change of scenery. The Bamboo Terrace at the Naviti Resort is a great option and is only 6 km away.

Thank you once again for your kind feedback, Parjan, and we hope to have you back with us again soon.

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Absolutely fantastic place...

Room: We had a room with two double beds with an ocean view. Average size, not huge, but good enough. Comfortable (double) beds. Cleaned well. Small balcony overlooking the grounds and ocean. Small issue -- shower tended to overflow the small "kerb" and flood the rest of the bathroom. We faced away from the pool area, so it was quiet, but I can imagine it being noisy if you're facing the (family) pool.

Grounds: Quite extensive and peaceful. We spent a bit of time just walking around.

Restaurants: We ate all breakfasts and most dinners at the buffet -- simply because it was the most convenient and quick (helpful with a 7-year old), but also because it changed nightly. Breakfast was quite extensive, no complaints. Dinner choices were extensive (including salads) -- some were very good, others not so much. But overall, good. We had lunches at the Terrace Grill overlooking the family pool and ocean. Very good food (especially the salads). We did have dinner at the Wicked Walu one night. Food was pretty good, but not worth the high prices. The setting was very nice though, although a large and very loud/drunk party next to us kind of soured the atmosphere a bit. The staff at the restaurants were super nice. The buffet staff even sang a Fijian farewell song to us on our last dinner there. We did not try the room service.

Pool: We spent most of our time at the family pool. Decent sized, never felt crowded. Good mix of depth for kids. The number of loungers could have been more though, especially since many guests put their things on them and disappear for hours on end. Pool is unheated, so can be a chilly in the mornings. The other issue is that there were several guests smoking around the family pool -- with the breeze coming off the ocean, that meant we had to smell cigarette/cigar smoke for much of the day at times. Not sure of the smoking policy, but something could be done to ensure no smoking around the kids/family areas perhaps? The adults pool was smaller, but much quieter.

Beach: The beach is obviously right outside. Great sand, great water. Note that during high tide the water comes up all the way to the beach "wall", so there is no beach anymore. The water is spectacularly clear -- snorkeling right off the beach we saw so many fishes! Note that the waves break quite a bit far out, so there are no waves right on the beach. Which actually makes for very nice and relaxing snorkeling, kayaking, etc.

Activities/Facilities: The free rental of snorkeling gear, kayaks, balls, etc,. was awesome. No need to buy overpriced gear of your own from the resort shop. This was huge in my opinion. All gear was in good condition. Our 7-year old went to some of the kids' club activities -- he loved most of them. I must say, the guys who run the activities, CK and Napoleon, really have a way with kids. They were super friendly and fun. It was all very relaxed, so the kids were around the pool/beach most of the time, not shunted out in some clubhouse or anything. The shops in the resort were stocked with enough necessities and souvenirs (e.g. medicines, snacks, cameras, books/magazines, etc.). The gym was quite nice. And although we didn't use the tennis courts, pool tables, or squash courts, they looked in good shape. The after-dinner shows were entertaining. The MCs did a good job of keeping the kids entertained while waiting for the show to start with various games.

Other: Note that the resort is quite a ways from Nadi airport. About 1.5hr drive. We loved the fact that the resort was completely cashless -- charge everything to the room and pay all at once at the end. No need to keep getting cash out for every little thing. All in all, this is a more family-oriented place -- if you're looking for a "happening" place full of energetic young people/singles, this may not be your thing.

Value: This is a tough one. This is not a cheap place. But the service is fantastic. Whether it's worth it depends on you. We though it was worth it for the great hassle-free and relaxing vacation we had.

Room Tip: If you're an early-to-bed type person, get a room away from the family pool. The nightly song/da...
4 Thank FuzzSF
Bula smiles from Fiji, FuzzSF,

I note with great interest the amount of travelling you have undertaken. The number of cities you have visited is breath-taking. We are so pleased you found time to visit us here at the Warwick and rate us a 5*. You have written such a great review of our property and quite clearly enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for mentioning both CK and Napolean, true stars of our activities team and completely besotted by the children who visit them each and everyday.

We hope you come to visit us again soon when you next venture back down to the Pacific.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Me and my husband were very excited for this trip for our wedding anniversary but were left dissapointed.I'll start with the positives. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly, we had a problem with noise outside our room very early in the mornings an when I said it to reception they were able to move me room straight away an they were always helpful if you had questions or needed to order a taxi etc. The negatives. When we arrived we were told they needed to hold $100 per day so $700 for our stay an it will released back onto our card upon check out that means we were unable to use any of that money for shopping tours etc!! The food or lack of it was not what I wad expecting.the breakfast buffet is lovely with a great selection of food however it can't be said for the evening, the Italian was ok but not worth it for the price of it, sometimes I just wanted a burger or sandwich for dinner but you had to order room service as the buffet was a different theme each night an you had the other menus all set etc sometimes I just didn't want a big dinner but they were my only options or sit in my room an ordwr room service. The entertainment is close to non existent they have on their leaflet what's going on at night but nothing at all happened on our last night even though it was ment too when i asked the staff about it they didn't know anything an nothing happens on a Sunday night. There is a singer or singers in the hibiscus lounge but that is it once they finish that's it there is no others entertainment or music any where else in the hotel an im not talking about a full blown night club but a little atmosphere would of been nice. Were we in the bar at 9pm there were 8 others people there once happy hour was over at 10pm they left so it was myself my husband the bar tender an a singer!!we were so bored we went back to our room. Bring plenty of snacks with you as everything is quite expensive an definitely stop at the supermarket before you get to hotel an get alcohol lemonade etc as it will cost you a fortune and as you will probably spend a lot of the evenings in your room it was nice to be able to have a few drinks an not having to keep going down to the bar. It is 2 hours from airport or for any activities you want to do in nadi so if you want to book some thing transport will be expensive. I booked a skydive an was then told they don't have a bus going there an the company doesn't supply one so it cost $220 in a taxi to go do it. So overall I was very disappointed an would not go back or reccomend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Hazel1507
Ni sa bula Hazel1507

We appreciate your gracious feedback both positive and constructive but are disappointed with some of your comments, especially the title of your review. We offer an amazing entertainment program for guests every night of the week. From traditional Meke performances and fire dancing exhibitions, to acoustic performances from some of Fiji's finest musicians who travel from both Nadi and Suva just to play in our Hibiscus Lounge, 2 different serenading troupes performing at happy hour then can be found wandering through the restaurants at both lunch and dinner times and Polynesian dancing. We even have a local choir perform on Sunday evenings during happy hour. As for daytime entertainment, our activities team are there to keep you busy with archery, basketball, squash, tennis, table tennis, darts, beach volleyball, pool volleyball, soccer, rugby, beach soccer, bocce, pool tables and bikes to hire. Then of course there is snorkelling, canoeing, paddle boarding and the dive shop where you can sample diving before going to dive with sharks. Did I mention about the kids club and the kids activities like our interactive kids kitchen, movie nights, fish feeding, ice-cream eating competitions, crab racing, frog racing, arts and crafts. Exhaustive yes, Boring no.

We do apologise about the noise you encountered whilst in your room on the first evening but I am pleased the friendly team were able to move you quickly and efficiently. Our reception team and duty managers are always ready to engage with guests about all matters pertaining to the resort and can offer advice about local areas of interest.

We are delighted you enjoyed our buffet breakfast but disheartened that you were unable to find something suitable to your palate from our Japanese restaurant, Italian restaurant, Seafood restaurant, International buffet - 7 different nightly themes, private dining menus on the romantic bure or from our nightly changing table d'hote menu on the Lagoon Pool deck named 'Dining under the stars'.

We hope you enjoyed your skydive. This was booked through the tour desk shop at the resort. All tours are booked with a concessionaire at the resort and are a separate entity to the resort. I am glad they were able to co-ordinate your transfer for you.

Vinaka Vaka levu

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Upon arriving to Fiji we hopped on a mini bus with 5 other families and we drove and dropped everyone off at their hotels it was getting late and we were the last ones on the bus as the Warwick is further out on the island at the coral sea but it's worth it the staff are amazing so nice and funny and make everything worthwhile! We had a lovely room on the ground floor that open out to the garden and the pool however they had just painted the room and the fumes were very strong so they moved us to a room on level 3 with the most beautiful view of the ocean and pool! The buffet breakfast was fantastic something for Everyone, the best buffet breakfast we have had! The pools were great clean and pool bar was awesome too! The restaurant were great the buffet restaurant was a bit pricey for what you got but we loved the Italian restaurant and often ate there! There was really nothing to fault with this hotel my daughter who's 13 loved it and my husband and I did too!! You can also borrow snorkels and kayaks for free which gave you something else to do! We loved Warwick so much that the following year we stayed at the Warwick in Vanuatu!

Overall fantastic hotel and would stay again!

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Karolina R
Brad D, Resort Manager at The Warwick Fiji, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Ni sa bula Karolina R

Thank you for your gracious feedback, albeit, a year after you stayed with us. We must have made a great impression for you to write so long after your stay with us. We have completed a number of exciting changes to the property so you will need to come back and discover the Warwick all over again!

The team still provide the same great service as you experienced last year, with their hearty 'bula's' and toothy smiles. We have grown our family since you were last here with over 430 staff now. More friends for you to meet when you come back. We hope it is sooner rather than later.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

let me start by saying the rooms and facilities here at the resort are fantastic. but there seems to be a seedy underbelly which has really detracted from our stay. Let me share some of our experiences:

1. taxi's versus resort-provided vehicles. I asked the concierge to call a taxi and was told it would cost around $40FJD - but then I found out afterwards that this was their in-house driver service and no taxi was ever called, nor was I given a choice (by the way, a local taxi costs in the vicinity of $5FJD for the same trip, just to demonstrate the excess fees siphoned off the top by the hotel.

2. kid's club versus kids beach activities. neither provides the appropriate level of supervision one should expect - my children were allowed to leave the kids club (where you are meant to sign in/out your child) on their own and return to the hotel room - we weren't there as we were enjoying a quiet dinner so the kids wandered around the resort on their own - in the dark - until they took it upon themselves to ask a waiter at a different restaurant for help. On the other hand, the beach activities are designed to be by-occassion, I first hand witnessed kids being left alone on the beach or not taken care of in the pool activities (one small child nearly drowned - his grandmother had to jump in to pull him out because the activities staff were too busy having a fun (frenetic) time to notice the little one who had gone under the water.

3. lost property - kids lose stuff, I get that, but for 3 days I couldn't get a response from the reception staff nor beach office as to where the lost property office is. I told them my son had lost his thongs and lo and behold they only turned up an hour after I had paid $35 for another pair from the resort shop.

4. 'free' ice creams for the kids. despite the 'cashless' operation of all bars and restaurants at the resort, apparently if you give the bar & grill bar staff some discrete cash they will keep the icecreams and free coke's coming to your kids for the duration of your stay. My kids foound this out the hard way - watching two little girls get free icecreams whenever they asked for them but my boys were told no. Really inappropriate and not something a 5 year old understands.

In addition to the above, I think the service is really quite average. Slow with orders forgotten and no apologies but rather the infuriating response "ah well, it's fiji time" - no, it's that you've forgotten to cook our order. also, the wait staff hardly ever come back to take another drink order - my friend suggested it was because I refused to do any of the under-the-table tipping which goes on.

now, despite my serious concerns about this resort, I would definitely come back again - I'm just far more wise to how to avoid being ripped off.

and I urge everyone who stays in this resort to double check their bill upon check out - there were other room's room service orders applied to our account, meals at two different restaurants applied (for the same night!) and it took the reception staff about 30 minutes (fiji time?) to sort out the warwick club discounts claiming that because I didn't get my card until halfway through my stay, that the discounts only apply then - even though I paid for the membership weeks before our trip and had to ask 4 separate times for the reception staff to provide me with my card.

I told the reception staff about my concerns raised in the above post, as well as complained to the kids club staff and the 'ice-cream' barman, but got barely a nod in acknowledgement. I've posted this message in the hope that other travellers will arrive more wisely than we did and armed to make better decisions for themselves.

6 Thank AussieGyrl
Brad D, Resort Manager at The Warwick Fiji, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Ni sa Bula AussieGyrl,
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort and offer great feedback. You have raised a variety of issues that we have invested significant time on analysing and investigating your points. We have investigated in depth the point raised about the members of the team in the kids club and older kids activities to continue to provide a safe and fun filled activities program whilst maintaining high levels of service. In reference to aspersions you cast about the other issues in your review we wish to highlight the resort does not have a taxi service. The taxis are privately owned and run by local Fijians as we purposely undertake a role to assist in building capacity of the local community. We use these known taxi operators because of the quality and reliability of their vehicles and their professionalism which is a reflection of the Warwick Resort. You raised the issue of the payment of the ice-creams but we are confused by this comment as the ice-creams are provided free of charge to all children under the age of 12. We do however regulate the number of ice-creams given to each child. I am pleased the team were able to locate your sons thongs and return them to you indicating great processes are in place for lost property and the safe keeping of items when they are mislaid by guests. We are sorry about the double posting and the billing issue you had during your stay. This was a clerical error that should not have happened and we appreciate you advising us. The issue you raised about the Warwick Club South Pacific was an administrative oversight. The purpose of the Warwick Club South Pacific is for returnee guests to our properties to become eligible, hence, we have undertaken an investigation to identify where the confusion of your membership was. We have conducted a thorough investigation on specific points outlined in your feedback and voiced on powerful social media mechanism like Tripadvisor that has profound effects on tourism in Fiji, our staff know and remember you and did acknowledge you addressing your points. We were aware of your feedback during your stay. We acknowledge all feedback in all its styles and standards. It’s also great to read AussieGyrl that you stated you ‘will definitely return’ and we look forward to welcoming you back to the resort.

Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

We travelled as a family if 3 with our 3.5 year old sun to escape the New Zealand winter in July 2014. We stayed in an ocean view room on the second floor. Room facilities cannot be faulted at all, decent sized bed and a single for our son, decent TV and a well appointed bathroom and decent AC with a small private balcony to enjoy an evening beverage. One tip would be to take a laptop and HDMI cable so you can watch DVDs or downloaded films as otherwise you'll pay $20 for a movie.

The staff are what makes the Warwick however big thanks especially to Benji and Ame who made our son feel so welcome and made his holiday.

The beach and pool area were great for our purposes with the water at the beach being very calm, shallow and still so we could let our son paddle and waddle around making sandcastles etc whilst we felt he was very safe, ditto the family pool area with 2 smaller shallow kids pools to go with a well designed big pool.

We would classify ourselves as 100% foodies, if you travel to the Warwick expecting gastronomic brilliance you will be very disappointed however in terms of a family friendly breakfast buffet with lots of choice( including eggs any style, freshly squeezed juices and even a gluten free table) and a decent selection of evening buffet options( a different international theme each night) the Warwick does very well. We stayed 7 days and felt the quality of the food was for its type very good.

Other facilities include a decent spa where my wife and I both had very good massages and a well equipped gym with a full range of machines.

Have seen some horror stories about high food costs etc. We got the full board option and even with a few extra ice creams and a couple of alcoholic drinks every evening( duty free for the room balcony) we only managed to spend an extra $400 FJD for the week. Food costs in the buffet restaurants(dinner) and lagoon grill at lunch( burgers/salads/ fish and chips etc) will set you back c$70FJD per person and c$30FJD pp respectively if you pay as you go.

I drank the local water for the whole week with no issues but my wife and son drank bottled, we bought a crate of mineral water from a convinience store but later found if you buy bottles of the same water from the hotel shop the premium is only around .50cents on a 1.5 litre bottle so not the extortion alluded to in some reviews, you can also buy from shops 50metres up the beach but again prices not that much cheaper than the hotel shop.

The other point would be to just check your mode of transfer, the road between the airport and resort is not great you'll struggle to average more than 50KMPH. We lucked out on the way in and had a minibus to ourselves(no one else on our flight at the same hotel) it took 90 minutes. On the way back we did 2 pick ups and the journey took 2hrs, if it bothers you greatly get a private transfer which might save you 30 minutes.

In conclusion The Warwick is not an Aussie/NZ/USA or European standard 5 star hotel but for some time in the sun with awesome staff in a compact, family friendly resort with more than adequate rooms, food and facilities it is top notch, we would certainly return.

Room Tip: Quieter if you get a garden view room, you can get an ocean view room on the ground floor with dire...
7 Thank adsnome
Greetings from Sunny Fiji adsnome,

Great to have a review from our friends in England. I've been to Reading. Loved it! And I'm glad you loved our resort too. Thank you for mentioning Ame and Benji in your review. Ame has been with us for sometime and is one of the team of beach and pool waiters. Benji has recently joined us as a restaurant manager and they will both be pleased you have mentioned them in this terrific medium. We appreciate your comments on the food offerings at the resort. The breakfast offer is enticing every morning and the team of egg chefs will keep you content until lunchtime. We have recently introduced a waffle station and juice bar. I hope you had the chance to have your fill when you were here?

You also mentioned about the transfers. You are correct in saying we are approx. 90 minutes drive down the road from the airport but the trip is well worth it, especially with amazing snorkelling straight off the beach when you get here. You don't get that at the resorts in Denarau. We can also assist in those wanting different modes of transport. We even have a helicopter option for those wanting an even quicker arrival time!

adsnome, thanks for your great review. If it ever gets too cold for you in England, we would be more than happy to have you back on our warm shores.

Until next time,

Daylesford, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

We had never been overseas before and went to the Warwick for our son's wedding. From the beating of the Lali on our arrival, to the beautiful rendition of Isa Lei for anyone who was leaving, this place will leave you wishing you had longer to stay. The food package is well worth doing as it meant we had virtually no other costs (except drinks). The kids club was amazing and runs all day every day. There is always a tour you can join, or spend your time swimming, snorkeling or kayaking just in front of the Hotel. Everyone will greet you with "Bula" whenever you pass and it will be something you miss when you leave. I cannot fault it in any way it exceeded our expectations.Well done to Brad and his team, and to the beautiful people of Fiji.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room but I think they are all good.
Bula smiles and sunshine Claire C,

Thanks for a wonderful review of our property and your holiday. We are so pleased that out of all the destinations you could have travelled to, your son picked the Fiji Warwick to be your first trip abroad. This is not the first time we have had 'first timers' to our resort. We are so pleased we were able to make it special for you.

It will be my honour to pass on your comments to the team. I know they will greatly appreciate them!

We hope to see you again Claire C and I hope to personally welcome you back to the Warwick Fiji.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coral Coast
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,838 reviews
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The Warwick Fiji? Share your experiences!