“Relaxing holiday”

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Coral Coast
Melbourne
“Relaxing holiday”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

It was our first time visiting beautiful Fiji and we took along our two daughters aged 4 and 7 for an 8 night stay at the Warwick. We were looking to escape the Melbourne weather and to have an easy, relaxing holiday. Once the 2 hour drive and slow check in were completed (both were my least favourite parts of the journey), we got the holiday that we sought. Firstly, the staff make the resort what it is. Friendly, relaxing and family orientated. The majority of the staff are so lovely and dignified and always made us (and especially our kids) feel very special. I really do hope other guests and the management treat the staff with the respect that they deserve. By second day, the staff were calling out the girls names and "Bula" from the balconies and around the hotel and it really made my girls day. The chef, Nasir made us feel like royalty everytime we turned up to dinner. Nothing was too much trouble for him to prepare and his lovely smile made us feel at home. All the dining staff were great. The food at dinner was good and we enjoyed the various theme nights. I found the lunch menu very limiting but what was on the menu was nice and well prepared. Like most kids, the girls were happy exploring the beach and the playing in the pool. They quickly made friends with other kids and had a ball. My husband and I also met a lot of people at the resort....mums & dads, honeymooners, older couples.....all seemed pretty content. We went out on the glass bottomed boat and went into Sigatoka for some shopping but we otherwise we were quite content in the resort for the majority of our stay. My husband used the gym facilities daily. The girls popped into kids club once in a while.....the energy and enthusiasm of Major, CK and Zac (and the others) really has to be admired. They not only entertain the kids but also the adults! We had a magical night with a huge group of adults and children building sandcastles on the beach (with cocktails in hand!), playing tug of war and collecting frogs for a race. All of us adults had such a great time and the kids went to bed with smile on their faces. Of course, there were small niggles (ie sound on TV not working) but I was overwhelmed by the fun that we had on this holiday. Also, there are a few beach shacks selling nick nacks and providing reasonably priced massages a few minutes walk from the resort. The ladies running these shacks are hilarious and we would visit these ladies daily for a chat even if we didn't buy anything as they really added to the atmosphere of the whole place. I would recommend the Warwick to anyone but particularly to families with small children. Our holiday was close to perfect. Ultimately, its what you make it but we found our stay at the Warwick and in Fiji wonderful.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank GavLolli
WarwickFijiGM, General Manager at The Warwick Fiji, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear GavLolli

Sunny greetings from the entire team here at the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa! Thank you for taking the time to share your relaxing experience as we are pleased to receive feedback from our valued guests.

We are pleased that you and your family enjoyed a renewing stay with us and we are thrilled to hear that you had an amazing stay and that our resort facilities, services and team fulfilled your expectations as we are committed to deliver our best service to our guests to create a relaxing and enjoyable experience. Thank you for your high praise indeed of the service from our associates as they are committed to ensuring our guests have an enjoyable and memorable holiday with us and it looks like we have succeeded in that area. Your kind comments will be passed on.

GavLolli, we look forward to welcoming you back to the resort soon.

Cole Mansfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We recently took our kids ages 3 and 5 to Fiji and stayed at the Warwick Resort for 7 nights.
Firstly the good half -
The resort itself is stunning and the beach is picturesque, the 2 pools are great and my 5 year old boy had a real blast in the kids club.
If you have young children then the Warwick should be a strong consideration when you're ready to book your Fiji Holiday
There are always daily activities for the kids and they had sooo much fun staying at the Warwick.
What really makes this resort though is the staff, They're very attentative to your needs and nothing seems to be a problem even if it is Fiji time.
I found the food to be fairly decent although a little pricey and would recommend the Japanese restaurant for quality.
Now the bad half - Mould..
The mould in our room was so bad that you could actually see it on the ceiling.
The rooms are cramped and in dire need of renovation.
We did complain about the mould and we were moved to a better room within the hour, so they really do try.
The rooms need to be brought up to scratch and fall in line with the rest of the resort.
In my opinion untill the rooms are greatly improved and the mould issue resolved I don't think this can be considered a 5 star resort.
Would I go back to the Warwick Resort - Probably not!
Would I recomemend Fiji as a holiday destination- Absolutely!
Overall if you're looking for a great family resort and don't mind the 1.5 hour journey from the airport then the Warwick is a good option.

1 Thank Paul M
WarwickFijiGM, General Manager at The Warwick Fiji, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Paul M

Sunny greetings from the entire team here at the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa! Thank you for sharing the details of your recent visit to our resort.

We apologize for the shortcomings that you encountered with the mould smell in the rooms and other aspects, however be rest assured that your feedback will help us improve our services. Your comments allow us an opportunity to review and improve on our service to ensure that we deliver our usual best service consistently. Thank you for recognizing the effort of our wonderful staff, who pride themselves in delivering personal and memorable holiday experiences for all our guests.

Paul M, we thank you once again.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

One week was not enough. There are plenty of activities you can participate in while at the resort as well as numerous tours so you can explore the island. The staff were amazing. Fijians are such wonderful, friendly people. The resort is ideal for all ages, singles, couples or families. I will definitely be returning to Fiji to reunite with my many newfound friends.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear MGCaesar

Sunny greetings from the entire team here at the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa! Thank you for your short sweet review as it makes us so proud to read comments like yours, especially as you had chosen to spend your family holiday with us.

We are pleased that you enjoyed a renewing stay with us and we are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful stay and that our resort facilities, services and team fulfilled your expectations as we are committed to deliver our best service to our guests to create a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

MGCaesar, we would like to take another opportunity to come and experience the Warwick hospitality.

Bendigo
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was our first time at the Warwick but the 4th time to Fiji. Our previous 3 times we had stayed at a very large resort closer to Sigatoka. We travel with our two children 6 and 4.
There is a close to 2 hour drive to get there so be prepared after your flight for the extra travel.

I look at other people's reviews and really question the REAL reason that people go on holidays and the ridiculous complaints that they make.
If you are going to the tropics your room will smell like mould and damp- but it doesn't stink. I have seen the staff replacing curtains as a way to try reduce that. Honestly- if you are coming from a country with a low humidity percentage you will notice it- GET OVER IT!
If you wanting a real cultural experience - how about talking to the staff asking if you can visit their village, to see their way of life. Fiji is more than a tour to an island, a waterfall, a school, a kava ceremony in a public area. These are a people who work 6 days a week for as little as $2-3 Fijian dollars an hour. There is no welfare payments if you don't work. When you go to their villages and homes you realise how blessed that you truly are. In one sense their family way and village way of life is more pure than first world countries as they don't have their faces glued to television and phones.
I couldn't have cared less that there was no free WIFI. You need to ask yourself are you on holidays to spend it with your family or to stuff around on the internet?? There is a couple of computers at reception that you can use to touch base with home.
All of the staff that we dealt with at the resort were lovely. From the room cleaner to the staff at the restaurants and to the boys down running the kids activities. We love it when they teach us new words, when they stop in their tasks to talk with us, with the kids. An example was a staff member stopping to build a sand castle with our children. Something that we recognise that he may not have been supposed to be paid to do, however something that stood out to our children and subsequently to us as it was a really nice point of connection.
The boys who run the kids activities - down the beach office were fantastic- Major, CK, Ben. My kids formed a really strong attachment with them - crying when they said goodbye to them. The kids could go down for an activity or two and then come back up to the pool to us for a swim and have lunch. For the age of our kids it was perfect!
The gardens were stunning and was a highlight for our stay.
The lay out of the resort was good too, with everything close by.
We were impressed by the range and quality of food. We loved the service and food at the Italian restaurant Pappagello (hope I remembered it right). My husband ordered the same meal the 3 times that we dined there.
Hats off to the staff who operate the espresso machine in the Bula Brassarie- we are fussy coffee drinkers and between Veronica and the man who filled in on the days she wasn't there we had decent coffees.

There were some areas that I felt could be room for improvement.
Double beds- We were in a double garden view room overlooking the tennis courts, 2nd floor. The mattresses were a little tired and sagged in the middle when you sat on them and laid on them. Hopefully they will be replaced when we return.
Washing machines-- there wasn't any and you could pay per piece to get cleaned at the resort but we ended up going with the ladies up near the boat jetty for $30 for a bag- washed and ironed.
Mini golf-- the poor old mini gold was run down and two of the holes were out of action.
Pool surrounds-- we spent the majority of our time at the Nadi pool and one thing that I said numerous times a day to my kids was "Don't run" purely because once out of the pool it was terribly slippery when wet.
I need to clarify that of the 12 days that we were there I did not hear crying or screaming children for the 8 hours we were there each day. The more disturbing guests were not the children but the drunk swearing idiots wearing their "Aussie Pride" tops drinking from 10am till they couldn't walk. 'Housos' move over! These were generally guests that were accompanying a wedding party. I honestly can say I felt ashamed to be Australian.
Room charges--We also had a muddle up with our name and our room number not matching up. It was lucky that the staff at the Beach Bar and Grill had got to know us our room number and had asked if we had changed our room half way through our stay. I then spent about 30 minutes that evening with the supervisor on reception going through our bill as we had incurred charges from the wrong room number. I must say that having all the receipts in reception was a thorough way of cross referencing our bill and if you go through your bill prior to check out it would reduce any hassle.

In summary we loved our new FIJI home regardless of the little flaws I really hope to make it back next year.

Room Tip: Garden View is the way to go.
8 Thank BendigoFijilover
Dear Bendigofijilover

Sunny greetings from the entire team here at the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa! Thank you for sharing your impressions and constructive comments of your recent stay with the Trip Advisor community.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the issues with your room and other aspects of your stay whilst a guest at our resort. I was disappointed to learn that your stay was anything less than perfect, and please accept my sincerest apologies. Your comments allow us an opportunity to review and improve on our service quality to ensure that we deliver our usual best service consistently.

We thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and providing us with your feedback.

Bendigofijilover, please know that your patronage of the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa is valued, and we would welcome another opportunity to serve you.

Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I am writing a review of the Warwick and we didn't even stay there! We were staying at the sister resort Naviti and wanted to upgrade to the Warwick but they wouldn't let us. We ended up hanging out at the Warwick 4 days out of 7. It is a beautiful resort, with fantastic amenities. We went snorkeling around the Wicked Walu restaurant and saw thousands of fish and octopus. The staff were mostly very friendly and helpful. The evening 'welcome' show with fire and grass skirts entertained the children and just having a beer on the terrace was fantastic. A bit of a downside was having to pay to have a game of squash and a game of mini golf but the charges were minimal. I liked the lunch menu, nice salads and burgers. I have to say the evening meals were a bit of a let down for a 4 star resort. The Japanese was nice and a good atmosphere but average. The Wicked Walu is a fantastic location but the food was dry and small. We had the seafood basket at the A la Carte restaurant one night and it was disgusting. The worst deep fried experience I think I have ever had. I feel mean saying that but it is true. The Warwick could easily be a 5 star resort but the food does let it down a little bit. I appreciate the logistics on an island must be difficult but it would be nice to see a bit more Fijian cuisine, nice coconut deserts, tapioca puddings, coconut and lime sashimi etc etc instead of deep fried Western food, pizza and steaks all the time. Anyway regardless, the Warwick is an impressive resort for families.

Dear shiofuki7

Sunny greetings from the entire team here at the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa! Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the resort and for your beautiful comments.

While it is pleasing to read that you and your family enjoyed all aspects of your visit whilst it pleasing to read that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you for highlighting the friendly and enthusiastic service from the staff as they are always committed to ensuring our guests have an enjoyable and memorable holiday with us and it looks like we have succeeded in that area. Your kind comments will be passed on.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the resort soon.

Gold coast
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Happy with everything here, good choice of places to eat with great food everywhere. Rooms are nice and overlook the pool. Great snorkelling area and beautiful outlook over the ocean. It's a bit far to go anywhere though as didn't get to experience the REAL Fiji. A day/night trip to Robinson Crusoe Island is a must see to experience some culture.

Room Tip: Ground floor room overlooking the pool is great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear NaomiGoldcoast

Sunny greetings from the entire team here at the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa! Thank you for your short sweet review as it makes us so proud to read comments like yours, especially as you had chosen to spend your holiday with us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your Ocean Front Room and you had a wonderful stay that our resort facilities, services and team fulfilled your expectations as we are committed to deliver our best service to our guests to create a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

NaomiGoldcoast, we would like to take another opportunity to come and experience the Warwick hospitality.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 28, 2013

When you find out that you have gone from a garden view (in the Suva wing) to the pool/ocean view (in the Nadi wing)- but they don't tell you it's an "upgrade"....! We start our 7 night relaxing, no children holiday- to discover our downgrade has put us over the children pool with swim up bar, that allows all the bogans and barely 18 year olds to drink to 10pm. Awesome.
Did I mention the hot tub, next to the bar, that was always full of people- and drunks- and barely emptied (so not sure where they were going to the toilet!).
So going with the screaming children, the drunks and now add erratic 90's music starting and stopping...at VERY LOUD levels....I am sorry but I never liked Daryl Braithwaite....playing him wasn't improving the already LOUD atmosphere.
Dinner was generally good, the time between 6-8pm you get peace and quiet until from 10-1am you have the bad bass of the Hibiscus nightclub start up...which in the Nadi wing was very loud (there is that word again!)...then because the dehydrated hot tub drunks, feel they need to do some dancing, they crash around getting back into their rooms...no respect to other customers.....
we decided to go out and use some of the water activities- Snorkelling and kayaking sounds like fun, and it was fun....but again we were only allowed to use this for 30 minutes per day. There was no option to hire them for the day....but I did learn that if you never returned the snorkel equipment you were stung $30 FJD...so really if the tide is in (which is a must, otherwise you are snorkelling in puddles of water) keep the gear and get charged the fine.....no snorkel equipment will cost you the same amount to buy! Cheap really!!
Wear thongs or something as you run the risk of slicing your feet open on dead coral in and out of the water...also a lovely stroll along the beach is unlikely if no foot wear is worn.
We had half board..which was good...but still had to check the final bill on check out to make sure it was correct- it wasn't but was sorted out pretty quickly. The Italian restaurant was the best- the bruschetta was AMAZING!
I was really surprised that in the modern age that we are in, McDonalds has free wifi but in a "5 star" resort we would have had to pay $100 FJD for one week of wifi....screw that!!!
The staff were generally quite good....our cleaner was a lovely lady who showed us how to use our TV after 5 days of thinking it was broken...I didn't realise remote controls were that hard, but even husband couldn't work it out. But to be fair the remote was so old, and the back was held together by duct tape, plus the no visible writing didn't help....we would have been better off without a tv...as the reception sucked anyway!
We didn't play golf or go the gym, because we had to pay for it.
We didn't know we could get tours from the hotel as they didn't tell us.
We found out on the uncomfortable bus back to the airport that we could have visited the Naviti for $5 pp
The guy that checked us in- stuffed us around and didn't give us the vouchers we needed to eat....it took three attempts to get them and we eventually got them.
Oh and our shower door didn't quite work.... So it was like a little puddle formed every shower!!
Overall first time to FIJI and we will never come back to the Warwick and maybe give FIJI a miss next time round.

If you like listening to parents yelling at their children to stop throwing the ball around, with a back drop of "horses" by Daryl Braithwaite...then this the place for you!!!

Room Tip: If you want quite go somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rach2901
WarwickFijiGM, General Manager at The Warwick Fiji, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear rach2901

Sunny and lovely greetings from us here at the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa! We sincerely thank you for providing us with your feedback in-regards to your stay with us.

It is disappointing to hear that your stay did not meet all your expectations. I apologise for the shortfalls you encountered with the room allocations, noise level from other patrons and other aspects whereby your comments have been noted and forwarded to the relevant departments to look into. While we never want to hear that someone’s stay is less than perfect, we always appreciate the opportunity to hear from our guests on what we can do to improve our services.

Your experience is contrary to the high level of service we strive to maintain, and of which you have every right to expect at the Warwick.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us and providing us with your feedback.

rach2901, please know that your patronage of the Warwick Fiji Resort & Spa is valued, and we would welcome another opportunity to serve you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coral Coast
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,857 reviews
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The Warwick Fiji? Share your experiences!