“Bloody expensive”

Mermaid Cafe
Ranked #4 of 27 Restaurants in Cox's Bazar
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The only sea food cafe on the beach at Cox's Bazar with music as its back drop. The cafe management is strict on serving organic food and well known for pampering the guests. The place where full moon parties are a common scenario with the roars of the sea playing as DJ. If you want to dine with a view of the beach, with the sound of the sea, so close to the beach that your toes are in the sand, there is only one place to go to in Cox's Bazar - The Mermaid Café! On the beach between Shugandha and Kolatoli Beach, opposite Uni-Resort, the Mermaid Café has great food. When you add great food to an unbelievably great location, the Mermaid Café offers a dining experience in Cox's Bazar, second to none.
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Location is good and the interior used to be far better. But now it looks very crowded. The price of food is very expensive and sky rocketing high. Not at all justified.

1  Thank Barki1010

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Every since they launched in Dec 2005, I've been going there every year for at least one meal!!

While really expensive, nothing can beat the ambiance and service quality at Mermaid Cafe. Some of my favorite items are: chilled lemonade, tuna and potato salad platter (haven't had that in a while), the seafood platter and chicken breast with pineapple...this time around I had tried something off the menu (copying my friend :p) and it turned out pretty well.

However what I miss about the old Mermaid Cafe is the view. In its previous location it had been more open and allowed glimpses of the ocean from where we would sit. There was a hammock one could lie down in and relax, also a foozeball table while u wait for the food to come. Now the cafe is further away from the ocean, and while trying to accommodate more tables and seats the roof tops almost touch one another and the open feeling is gone. I can barely hear the ocean, let alone catch glimses of it. There are 2 new hotels being constructed on either side. I fear that going forward, I'll have to start going to the Mermaid Eco Resort or Mermaid Beach Resort restaurants. Although I've heard the quality of food is still same and ambiance much nicer, it still is far away and unlessu r staying there or have ur own vehicle, going there may require quite a bit of planning. :(

Reviewed May 27, 2013

For bangladesh, they serve quite good western food. The ambience is alright but i find the place dimly lit. It is quite close to the seaside and you can get amazing sunset views at the entrance. They also have water pipes (shisha) and it is quite an experience having that in bangladesh.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Prawn with pasta was excellent while stuffed Indian Salmon was strange but good! Calamari is better at the roof top of Ocean Paradise.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I waited for 45 min after I ordered our food. Was there with wife and daughter. I ordered baked Pomfret, Vegetable Fried Rice, Pasta with White Sauce, Spice beef with butter rice.

The price I paid is more than a 5 Star hotel (I compared with Sea Gull), and here is the food review:

Baked Pomfret: The fish raw. Significantly under cooked. And the fishy smell was so bad that we left it there to swim around.

Vegetable Fried Rice: A single serve dish yet not filling for one person. The only vegetable I could see was carrot.

Pasta with White Sauce: it cant be at your expectation level at all.

Spice beef with butter rice: There no butter at all. And beef was undercooked, un-seasoned and extremely hard (to be exact rubber) for our food habit. By the time the food came in we were too hungry and since it was too late go any other restaurant.

In the name of eco-friendly restaurant what there offering is crap. Bad food and bad service. I got so pissed that I got back to hotel, on my way back I ordered to my hotel room service for our food.

Got back to room and the first thing I did was this review. I really wonder how come on earth this place ranked 1 in cox's barar. If there were a strong government authority to check service here, I am sure this place would hace been shut down long way back,

Do yourself a favor, never go there.

Last thing: the waiter came in to ask how the food, I honestly said. They brought in a desert for us normalize things. Even advised me to email to them if I had any complains. What they didnt know I had a better place to share .....

3  Thank Riyad H