“Excellent Hotel, helpful and friendly staff”

Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Chard
Burnley
“Excellent Hotel, helpful and friendly staff”
Reviewed February 16, 2010

My wife and myself have visited all the Warner Historic hotels and have always found them a joy to visit. Cricket St Thomas was no exception.

After our 250 mile journey we were greeted with friendly, curteous reception staff. Although we were slightly earlier than the stated check in time, as our room was ready we were invited to take our cases to the room and relax.

The room was just a normal Ambassador standard, clean, well equipped and very clean, with a comfortable bed. (Much more cosier than Travel Lodge rooms).

Our room was in the walled garden area, which was quite a way from the house itself, but with Chricket House being a grade 2 listed building, there is only so much builiding work that can be accomplished near the hotel. The location of the room was not a problem.

The dining room was absolutely delightful, with a light and airy feel. The food, whilst obviously not corden bleu, was most satisfactory, with a good selection of dishes, all of which were served hot.

The entertainment, although not to our taste was quite enjoyable. We stayed for 5 nights and four of the five nights the entertainment consisted of the in house team entertaining guests with their rendition of the musicals. The other night there was a very funny comedian. Neil the resident keyboard player and entertainer is exceptionally good, with a lovely singing voice and a witty sense of humour.

They have a resident band, who play ballroom and sequence dances, and later play music for disco dancing.

The leisure facilities were superb, lovely pool, steam room sauna, solarium with piped music, gym (which were free to Warner guests) and a beauty salon.

As has been mentioned in previous reviews the public areas are looking a little tired, but whilst we were there, there was a team of decorators employed, uplifting the cabaret rooms and general corridors. Bearing in mind that it must be like keeping the Forth Bridge in good condition, they seemed to be doing an excellent job.

We found all the staff to be extremely polite, curteous, helpful and cheerful. It was indeed a joy to be there.

Having read other reviews I am a little perturbed with all the "age bashing" that seems to be happening.

Yes the general age of the guests is, as mentioned previously, approx between 50 - 80. Warners do seem to aim their market at this age group, which to my mind is a good idea. Where else can people of this age group go for a good night out. The towns, cities and even some villages are out of bounds, with all the drunken yob culture that is rife in Britain today. My wife and myself found it a pleasure to amongst such genteel, well mannered and polite people, who also knew how to use the Queens English without the necessary sprinkling of foul language littering every sentence and also who knew how to dress and behave for dinner.

I can thoroughly recommend Cricket St Thomas to anyone, wishing to spend a few days in beautiful countryside, relaxing or seeing the local sights, ie, Lyme Regis, Beer and Sidmouth etc. The Wildlife Park at Cricket St Thomas unfortunately is no more, but some of the smaller animals are still there and there is a lot of work underway to landscape the grounds. This should be spectacular when finished.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike_and_Lesley
cricketstthomas, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2010
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. Just to let you know the Lakes and Gardens are now open and look far healthier than when you came in February.

I hope you will enjoy them if you ever choose to visit us in the future

Ian Gyte - General Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
Birmingham
Reviewed January 8, 2010

This is a place l have always wanted to stay since watching one of my favourite t.v shows "To the manor born" and realising that it was now an extensive hotel and it has taken many years for us to get there basically affordability although this hotel is so beautiful and l found it very overwhelming what it costs for us to have a 3 night stay there is more than what we pay for 7 nights in the hotel we stay in every year in Devon on our usual annual holiday.
OK it is a different class of hotel altogether but we are sort of budgeted to a certain degree.This was a special anniversary break for us so it was a treat but having stayed there we have booked again and are spending the last 3 nights of our annual holiday there in the summer as it is on the way back from Devon. The rooms are very well equipped even down to iron and ironing board and toiletries tv and utility tray with biscuits included, the rooms are serviced everyday and are very clean and very comfortable beds the food is absolutely faultless and the service and friendliness of the staff is excellent. The entertainment is provided by the hotel entertainment staff and is of very high standard .There is so much to do without leaving the hotel if you wish to do so they have a lovely swimming pool a very well equipped gym and every beauty treatment you can think of you can enjoy walks through the wildlife park on the estate itself and it is such a tranquil setting l wish l could afford a fortnight there, of course the best part is that you don't have screaming children running around as it is for adults only.
l just can't praise this place enough l just found no fault with anything at all and would highly recommend it to anyone. lt is just so elegant and classy.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DevoniaBelle
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2009

It was with some trepidation that I took advantage of an special offer for a four night stay ( Mon to Fri ) at this Warners Hotel fearing that it was something similar to a Pontins / Butlins / Warners holiday camp albeit without children.
Upon arrival I found that some coach driver had abandoned his vehicle thus blocking the road preventing easy access to reception. Having parked, then walked some 150yds back to reception and joined a short queue. Whislt in this queue a women demanded to see the manager as she did not intend to stay here, what her actual complaint was I never discovered but I thought to myself all my fears were appearing.
Having booked in and been informed to park at the extreme far end of the car park which was the nearest point to the garden rooms complex but before I did I had to report to the restaurant to be allocated our table for breakfast / evening meals.
Having reported I was shown our table's location - it later transpired during our first meal that I was in the wrong place ( in my opinion not my fault especially as the couple next to us said "they were now at their third table and it goes on all the time" )
Whilst all this was very efficient it did nothing for my frame of mind at this particular time.
Returning to the car and having re-parked we eventually found our room in this maze, an Ambassador room.This room is something akin to a Holiday Inn standard and was well decorated and clean & tidy.
Unfortunately the en-suite bathroom had yet to see the benefit of refurbishment, loose fittings / mould / threadbare bath mat etc etc.
I had been informed at the time of booking that there was an 250 yd walk within a covered walkway to the restaurant / reception. Make that 500 yds with a gap of 25 yds where you are exposed to the elements.
Evening meals & breakfasts are taken in the Tree Tops Restaurant, comfortable and clean with pleasent waiter service ( in part ) There was an excellent wide choice of starters, main course ( either waiter ofr cavery ) and sweets followed by coffee or tea.
Breakfast was buffet style, the toast & tea/coffee being brought to your table.
All the food was good and could not be faulted , just a shame that the plates were always cold.
The evening entertainment leave us cold but I will say that many found it good, its just down to taste and whether holiday camp style entertainment is for you. The firework display lasted some 3 minutes, Santa must have got lost for we never saw him during this Turkey & Tinsel break.
The grounds of the hotel even at this time of year were worth a walk around ( the wildlife park is now closed ) and the house tour interesting ( although its main purpose was to show you the historic rooms accomodation and inform you of the cost )
The hotels location is good for touring, Lyme Regis,Wind Whistle Golf Club, Haynes Car Museum, Dorchester are all easily accessible. The inhouse swimming pool & fitness centre was good.
Whilst the above is all factual the crux is would we go again ? Well yes we would, but on the basis of (1) an upgrade to a Signature Room ( to get a cleaner better bathroom ) (2)be located in the Courtyard Area ( avoiding the long -part open air- walk ) (3) go at a time when there is a recognised known entertainer.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rogsam
Sussex
Reviewed September 16, 2009

Beautiful location. Excellent entertainment (especially the guy on the keyboard in the bar with his witty humour). Really good dance floor in a well designed cabaret lounge .
Chose Ambassador Room - but bore not the slightest comparison to the picture in the brochure. (Note small print. above). Be very very sure to ask for a room as in the picture! Ours was dated, dark and dingy with all pervading strong 'old people's home' smell . Floor literally filthy with dirt, fluff, hairpins.. (vaccuming apparently overlooked in error... cleaner sprayed room with her aerosol and offered to let us borrow it for the weekend). Two armchairs not as in picture but old, worn, tired with shiney sweaty arms. Bathroom extractor not working (and not mended during our stay - used dowstairs toilet) Tired fittings, very basic and minimal toiletries.Request for alternative room refused. (To be fair, they were fully booked, but at 5pm feel sure they could have given us a properly cleaned room and then spent more than the 3 minutes quick vacuum of the room allocated to us). Reception staff attentive but seem trained to resist any adjustments. Food decent (mainly self-serve). Young lad allocated to waiting on our table with starters etc was really good, helpful and cheerful. Restaurant more like a McDonalds . Have to stay at same table (and you may find others also on your little round table for the duration). Hotel carpet, furniture and fittings very tired and worn (beware the sweaty arm chairs throughout). Still, the entertainment was good, and its lovely if you can sit outside in the sun and avoid your room. Misc notes.. Average age of guests reckoned at 65-70 . Internet £3 an hour. Spa Treatments good. I would not risk reccommending to a friend, mainly because of the misleading photos of the rooms. But have to say that we certainly enjoyed the evening entertainment. Actual Hotel rating standard warrants between 2 and 3 star. Reception asked if we had booked online, so knowing this, you'd have thought they would have been more helpful over the room, knowing there was a greater likelihood o an online review being posted. Poor Management training ?

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pondstrider
northhamptonshire
Reviewed August 30, 2009

One of the best warners we have been to, as we have sampled quite a few. The restaurant is excellent and the food was very good, it is above average than most other warners.
The rooms were clean and all the usual refinements, though the carpets could have a bit of a clean, but that it expected as people do not necessary take there shoes off when entering room.
The location is very good, though a bit remote to get too if you get lost getting there. Amenities with all the usual warner refinements.
I would recommend giving Cricket a go, plenty of places to see, though I thought entertainment was only so, so. Still you can not have everything.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank toakley2
Lincolnshire
Reviewed August 14, 2009

I booked for an entire week with my 84 year old Dad - We both needed a break following serious medical problems.

The grounds of the hotel were lovely and the wildlife park, accessed either through the door at the sports centre reception, through a back gate in the walled garden or via the lawns adjacent to the main house, were lovely.

The old main house (aka To the Manor Born Set) public areas are in bad need of some TLC and to be honest the paintwork and some of the funishings were well past their best and very tatty.

The signature room I had was clean, modernish, but I'd hardly describe the power shower as anything special, with just some extra jets of water to spray on your body. I assumed it would be one of those pulsating hot and cold type of showers. My bathroom sink did have a crack and there was no face soap, only hand wash which I didn't know if it was ok to use on the face. Plenty of designer shower gel though. The patio in the walled garden was nice and peaceful, we even had a visit from some escaped Lemurs and a mother duck who brought her little ones around for food during the evening. Overall the room was pleasant and acceptable but more three star than four.

Food wise starters tended to be good and some of the main courses were nice. One or two were horrible such as the Moussaka which was nothing like Greek Moussaka and tasted like some kind of hot pot gone wrong - very nasty. The Chef needed to consult Video Jug on the web for a good Moussaka recipie. One night I had fish and it was cooked to death. The help yourself main meals tend to be hit and miss with curry dishes tending to be more sauce than meat. There is a major Health & Safety issue in the self service area inasmuch that staff have to cross those waiting in line for the self sevice to access the kitchen with plates of food. One night a waitress crash hard into me with empty plates while I was walking to join the line. The following morning I bumped into a waiter at breakfast, but empty handed this time. Again, the food is acceptable with one or two good dishes and one or two that were close to being sent back.

Breakfast is mostly self service and passable, although the sausages tasted like bottom of the range and there were never any Danish Pastries or Crossiants as advertised.

The swimming pool is very nice as is the small sauna with the changing rooms being very clean.

The car park can be a bit rough in places and I noticed two bollards which had been knocked over. These had electrical wires protruding which had been taped over, although weather and time had caused the tape to drop off leaving exposed wires.

Staff were generally very good although it can be hit and miss with some of those waiting table. For three nights we had an excellent waiter, then he left to go on holiday and service went downhill.

The hotel does have Wifi, around the bar/reception area, but they charge £3 an hour for something that is now free in many hotels and B&B's.

Entertainment was a bit hit and miss, with it being aimed at the target audence of 55 + However, I'm 52 so perhaps I'm young for my age or something ! :-)

We had a nice break and the hotel was comfortable with lovely grounds you could spend a lot of time wandering. However, as a hotel I felt it was over priced in terms of room standards and food quaility. I'd go back for 3 days perhaps for a break, but not a full week at those prices for which you would get a much better hotel elsewhere. My 84 year old Dad's Dad's opinions more or less reflects these views. One thing that did make him smile was the nightly mad dash by some of the older residents for the restaurant when the doors opened - People watching over a drink opens your eyes sometimes.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Mark10124
Nottingham
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Stayed here on a 4 night midweek break in August with my husband. Good location for exploring nearby. Safari park is great fun and main house is beautiful (if in need of a bit of TLC). Hotel currently doing some renovations which are causing havoc and many guests having to dine downstairs in the entertainment lounge, which has no natural light , smells of stale booze and is thoroughly gloomy. Restricted meal times 8.00-9.30 breakfast and 6-7.30pm dinner! Menus lacked any creativity and food decidedly average, the best food we had was at a Thai restaurant in Street which we escaped to. We had a signature room which had been recently decorated in bizarre red and purple, presumably by someone who is colour blind and hasn't a clue about modern interior design. For a renovated room it seemed tatty and suspect it wasn't much better than a standard room, they just need to raise money to decorate it again! We got a sneak at the historic rooms which do look amazing, but for what you pay overall I am sure any top class hotel would be far, far better value. The evening entertainment is bizarre and seems lost in a timewarp. You need to know how to foxtrot and waltz or forget it. Restaurant staff not great and got confused with orders. Guests mainly 60-70+. If you are in 20-50 do not even consider! It's depressing.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chermster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chard
The Lordleaze Hotel
The Mount Somerset Hotel
Dower House Hotel
Dower House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rousdon

Been to Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel? Share your experiences!