“Pleasantly surprised!”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Chard
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised!”
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Not sure what to expect but found the weekend very enjoyable. We are not retired and not yet in our fifties so it was a little disconcerting to find most of our fellow guests were well into retirement. That said everyone we met was friendly, approachable and gave us good advice on how to get the most out of the weekend . Accommodation was clean, tidy and had all the usual amenities. We upgraded to bigger room which was lovely. Food was simple but served with a smile, the carvery was the best value for money and the desserts were not brilliant but passable. Lots to do and we enjoyed the 3 dance classes we attended. Complete virgins at the dance but learned a lot under the excellent tuition of the hostess. Entertainment was good and enjoyable. Great to watch guests who could dance!
Staff were helpful, friendly and very efficient but please managers ensure they have clean shoes and trousers that fit - their lovely approach would be topped off with this attention to detail. Will return but will bring friends to share the thrills and spills!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank caths2014
Cricket W, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am sorry that you were not aware of our target age of 55+, but am delighted that you met with some of our friendly guests who made sure you got the best out of your break here..

We are in the process of changing our uniform supplier, so hopefully the team will look a lot smarter very soon.

It was good to hear that you enjoyed the dancing classes and entertainment and I hope that we will see you again very soon of our dance floor.

Steve Grainger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed from 3rd feb to 7th feb , 2014. As usual Warner have delivered a fab break . ALL STAFF went the "extra mile " , food was very good , cleanliness was faultless ,facilities were AMAZING , so many different things to do . Cricket House was beautiful and enchanting ,with big open fires and great snacks and a bar . Entertainment was superb , loved the comedian , LEE CARROLL , he was hilarious !!! The shows were brilliant . Excellent voices , very talented people. EVERYTHING WAS TRULY FAULTLESS ... I enjoyed bringing my 48th birthday in here . Didn't want to go home, the place was just quite simply PARADISE .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
I was delighted to read your review and so pleased that you enjoyed the ambience of Cricket House.

I will pass on your wonderful comments to my team and very pleased that you enjoyed the food and entertainment.

I do hope to see you again soon.

Helston, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Having arrived on a TWO night mid week break last week we stayed ONE night, we didn't get there until 4.30 on the first night but it was that bad we were gone by 9.30 the following morning without breakfast as the evening meal the night before left an awful lot to be desired. I will not go into too much detail as just thinking about it makes me cross, I don't eat cheap nasty food at home so why do Warner leisure expect me to eat this muck in a four star!!!! Hotel. I should have known what experience to expect when we arrived in our room and on the second page in the Welcome! Pack was instructions on how to wash my hands to avoid the spread of Noro virus, not only that but before going into dinner we are asked to use the disinfectant hand gel. I have been to many 4 and 5 star hotels and not once been asked to use hand gel before I sit down to dinner as real 4 star hotel tend to treat me as an adult. In my opinion warner leisure need to look at their own policies and systems in regards to infection control and how best to put measures in place so that information with regards to infection control can be taken away and guest made to feel more welcome. One suggestion
In the dining room guest are asked to pick their own bread out of the basket, surely it would make sense if the waiting staff wore gloves and used tongs to place items on to the guest plate as is very common in other 4 star establishment, this alone would be one way in which to cut down the chance of any cross infection that management are very keen on and takes the responsibility off their paying guest. On the subject of money by no means is this complex worth the money we paid for our two night break (we only stayed one night remember) and we like many others got discount on this, please do not on any count pay the full amount to stay here you will be very disappointed and giving this company money it doesn't deserve. Go and stay in a good 4 star b&b and buy some theatre tickets.
The layout of the hotel is very in keeping with a residential home this is very in keeping with their guests that are mainly elderly ladies and gentlemen. One plus point comedy entertainment on Wednesday night was good, however this does not make up for any of the previous points. We stayed here for 17 hours In total and that was far too long. Need I say more as the title says "you have been warned"

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Pamela K
Cricket W, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am sorry to hear that you did not stay for the duration of your break. We take hand sanitising very seriously and we do have a company standard therefore we have sanitising units on entrances to our restaurants, as I am sure you have read Hospitals, Schools and Cruise Ships are quite badly effected and we do want to sfeguard our guests at all times.

I will also speak to our restaurant manager concerning the service you received with the offering of bread, as this is not our usual standard.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2014

My sister and I took my mum away as a belated birthday surprise this weekend. This was our first Warner break and we were pleasantly surprised. We were a fair bit younger than the average guests (at 35, 40 and 67), but we had a lovely time. Our waiter Malik looked after us brilliantly and nothing was too much trouble. In future I would stick to the carvery for main meals as like another review, the salmon that we ordered from the kitchen was very dry indeed and the brie had a slightly strange thick rubbery layer between the melted cheese and crumb. Our room was in the walled garden and was very nice indeed. It was very modern and beautifully decorated. We were very impressed. Sadly the housekeeping standards let it down, one bed was not even made on the first morning. The second day our dirty cups were left and we had to wash them in the sink so that we could reuse them and the biscuits and drinks sachets were not replenished. There were other little things like that and we had to keep leaving notes for housekeeping, which let it down. We didn’t book the weekend for the tribute band (Karpenters), and have to admit that the comedian Bob Webb on the Friday night (the funniest comedian we have seen in ages) and the Warner’s entertainment team on Sunday were more to our taste. James (senior) was a brilliant host and the Dream Lover show on Sunday night was a great way to end the holiday. The team put on a great show. As we had never been on a Warners break before we did find the activity sheet fascinating if not a little over whelming, although we did attend a line dancing class with Betsy who showed patience at our 2 left feet! We did find it strange when people started to run around the hotel to get to the various activities! It is a shame that the reception team were somewhat aloof. We were given very little information at check in (we arrived at 6pm) and did not know that we could open a drinks account etc. When we asked about wifi the response again was quite abrupt. The gentleman on reception didn’t really seem to be very personable, particularly as long queues formed and he didn’t acknowledge anyone. Thankfully a very helpful member of the team stepped in when we checked out. We had a very enjoyable weekend. And would go back, although we did book on the 50% off winter sale and do not think that we would pay full price to stay. If offers like this come up again we would certainly go back. My one tip is if you are arriving at the hotel for the first time do so in the daylight. There is very little lighting and finding your way to the car park and reception in the dark was challenging!

Room Tip: I would recommend a stay near the walled garden, so that if you are not late back to your room at ni...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lifestooshortnottoo
Thank you for taking the time to post your review

I am delighted to hear that you had a good break with us and and I will certainly pass on your constructive comments to my team. We are also curently looking at reviewing our lighting in our car park.

I do hope to see you all again soon, call our Holiday Shop team for any available offers.

Bristol, uk
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This was our 5th Warner's break, we had been told that "Cricket St Thomas was the best of the Warner's", but it was not and our party of 4 considered it to be a bit run down.

The potential was there, but maintenance was required to spruce it up. Bed was not comfortable and when I looked at mattress it had already been "added to" with duvets, I had to get up in the middle of the night and turn them top to toe to get out of the dips, I told maid in the morning and she organised a topper, but still not too comfortable.

Food was quite good as was the grounds as was the bowling green. Grounds & staff were also good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gordon C
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Apologies that there seems to have been a problem with your matress this is most unusual and I will certainly speak to the Head Housekeeper. We do have an ongoing refurbishment programme through the Hotel and I am sorry to hear that you felt it was tired.

Thank you for all of your nice comments on my team, grounds and food.

Hope to see you again in the future.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Cricket House. Food very good. The restaurant staff were friendly especially Caesar our waiter. Should be in line for promotion! Also restaurant manager Darius? who is excellent and has a sharp eye on everything. Neil Graham as always excellent.

Norm and Bev Cheltenham

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cricket W, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am pleased to read that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed the food and also had nice comments on my team.

I do hope to see you again in the future.

Bournemouth
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for my husbands 70th birthday celebration, food was very good, especially catering for my self as I am a coeliac and have a dairy allergy my only comment is if there was consistence in waiters it would have made it even more enjoyable. Entertainment was excellent . We both felt it was slightly tired and needed some work. I would also recommend if you want to sleep have a room upstairs as very noisy if people are up early due to creaking floors.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am pleased to hear that my team looked after you well and my congratulations to your husband on his special birthday.

It is nice to hear that my chefs looked after your dietary requirments as we know this is very important for you.

I do hope that we will see you again in the future.

Steve Grainger
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chard
Bath House Hotel
Dower House Hotel
Dower House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rousdon
The Mount Somerset Hotel

Been to Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel? Share your experiences!