“Pleased to go home”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Chard
London, United Kingdom
“Pleased to go home”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

On arrival at the reception we were booked in and directed to our room. We had to go through very long corridors,past a church and through another long corridor.when we arrived at our room I looked in the bathroom to find mould above the bath,rust on the shower hose and around the taps on the sink.In the bedroom there was dirt next to the bed (room 455).I complained and we were moved to a much better room(473).When we got to the restaurant for for breakfast my coffee cup was dirty and I was told the dish washer wasn't working.the tables were too close together and our waiter couldn't remember what we had ordered and was useless.The Entertainment Team put on very professional shows,but didn't mix with the guests and vanished at 10.30pm.The grounds are beautiful and we had lovely walks.I left my holiday with a sore throat and have been given antibiotics for an infection.I was pleased to get home.

2 Thank JillandMark13
Hannah_Warner, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments.

I will of course go and check both rooms personally as this does not sound like our usual standards and therefore I am sorry. I am pleased to know that you were moved to another room which I hope was to your liking.

I am shocked to hear you did not find the Entertainment Team friendly as they work really hard to encourage everyone to dance, feel involved and of course have an excellent time. We have a live band with Team Shows and Team dancers on the dance floor. This means you can come up and dance even if your partner or friends don't want to as you always have a partner! I will ensure this is checked upon as I think it is a really great part of the Warner experience. I am sorry if you did not feel this was the case.

I hope you were able to speak to a Manager about your break. If you feel you'd like to speak further about this please don't hesitate to contact me at the Hotel.

Steve Grainger, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
Llantwit Major, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very nice place to stay, long walk to resturant and concert hall from our room. Breakfast very good although evening meal was a bit Toby carvery in value. In the middle of a dip in a valley. Rooms very big and clean with a nice patio area outside.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bluebirds27
Cricket W, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Hello

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

It is good to hear that you liked your room and patio. There is a walk to the main facilities from our Walled Garden accommodation, but should you come back to Cricket St. Thomas, the Courtyard accommodation is very close to most facilities.

We also have an alternative to our Tree Tops restaurant which is Fennocchi`s our Italian restaurant and many guests really enjoy the food offering there.

We hope to see you again in the future

watford
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Entertainment not as good as others . no towels at the pool from August 2013 onwards. Tennis court lights obscured by tree foliage. Italain food ok . Main restaurant is a bit tight for space so you are very close to other diners. Did not like the vending machines in the corridors drinks and chocolate bars. Floors need new carpets.

Room Tip: top floor rooms a bit hot
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hannah_Warner, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to feedback.

We do of course provide towels for anyone using the Leisure Facilities. However, if you are staying with us then we are trying to encourage guests to bring their towel from their room to be more friendly to the environment.

Thank you for bringing the carpet standard to my attention. I will speak to my Maintenance Manager.

I do hope you enjoyed other aspects of your stay such as our award-winning restaurant, live entertainment and the lovely atmosphere.

Steve Grainger, General Manager
Epsom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We (my wife and I) have just returned from a 3 day stay at Cricket St Thomas. The site is exceptional and the entertainment team were good.
BUT, the room was badly prepared (litter on the floor, dirty tea tray contents, broken furniture hanging off the wall, smelly bathroom).
After complaining, most of this was put right but the toilet flush was just too hard to press and so my wife did not use the in-room toilet. The result of a second complaint was that nothing would be done!
I was ignored by bar staff on more than one occasion.
This was an expensive so called four star hotel.
We went for the entertainer (Russell Watson). But now I would not go back; I will find another venue that he or anyone else is playing at.

1 Thank EasyGoing31
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear that you had a few issues, but pleased that once you told us about them things were put right. I will also share you comments regarding the team and if required put some further training into place.

I hope your enjoyed Russell Watson, we have had very good comments from other guests.

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We have just returned from the weekend break and found the food quality and quantity very good but fortunately did not choose the steak! We are regular visitors and found the entertainment staff energetic and hard working but we return here particularly to see Neil Graham who was as always excellent. Hope he is still there in November when we return.
Please bring back the tea/coffee at dinner - this will be appreciated by everyone!

Room Tip: book next break well ahead and in hotel for best deal some rooms are quite a way from facilities if...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cricket W, General Manager at Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Hello

Thank you taking the time to post your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and entertainment, I will pass your comments onto the Neil and the team.

I do hope that you will come back and visit us again soon.

General manager
herts
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have been to warners several times where I have had a good time. But this time I had a few complaints to make first my bedding was soiled, second our table was so small we just about fitted our plates on it (three people on a two seated table) third when I asked for coffee after my meal I was told I have to pay for it which is a cheek when we paid over £300 each for the booking. I am going back tomorrow for the Russell Watson weekend I hope I don't have any complaints!

• Stayed August 2013
Hello

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear you had issues with your bedding, this is not a regular occurance and I will investigate with our Housekeeping Manager.

Space in our restaurant is a challenge and is being looked at for the future. Tea & Coffee has in the past been complimentary and has always been at the descretion of the individual Hotel, this has never been included as part of the holiday price. We have recently made some exciting changes with our offering and we now offer a much better quality of tea/coffee. Due to this upgrade we no longer have the discretion to offer it complimentary, but we work hard to make sure it is good value for money.

I do hope you enjoyed Russell Watson, we did have many great comments from our guests.

Glos
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have just come back from party in the park at Warners Leisure Hotel Cricket St. Thomas, a Friday to Monday 3 night break. We are concierge members which means that we are regular visitors. We meet many regular concierge members and on this occasion all were of the same opinion, Warner's are going downhill to cost cut.
The food quality was hit and miss and variety of choice much less than even back in May which was less than previously to that. Also no tea or coffee with the evening meal unless you paid for it, many people paid over £400 a head for this break. One regular said he should have had 2 steaks Friday evening as they were that tough he could have repaired both his boots, bacon next morning was as bad and the plates were cold, After complaining Saturday morning they upped the ante a little. Entertainment by the in house team as usual was very professional (on a par or even better than guest entertainment) a shame house keeping wasn’t the same (in the house cleaners favour their time to do a room has been cut) try shutting the bathroom door and looking behind it, cobwebs and dust on the floor, and remember to replace the toilet roll (or do we use both sides due to cut backs)
Back to the dining experience, in the bar/cafe up the “old end” service again was abysmal drinks arriving after we had eaten and food was a long wait for.
Neil Graham the all round entertainer is the main reason we all go back for, he keeps the place together, a brilliant singer, comedian and keyboard player.
All the entertainment staff even the new lad James who had only started there on the Friday were excellent whether on stage or going about their duties. Come on Warner buck up or lose out, us concierge members are your bread and butter.

3 Thank emseaell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chard
The Lordleaze Hotel
The Mount Somerset Hotel
Dower House Hotel
Dower House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rousdon

Been to Warner Cricket St. Thomas Hotel? Share your experiences!