“Excellent food and great service”
Review of Howley Tavern

Howley Tavern
Ranked #9 of 47 Restaurants in Chard
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Maidstone, Kent
“Excellent food and great service”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I ate at the Howley Tavern twice over this weekend just gone. Once on Friday for my Dad's birthday (had the rump steak) and once on Mothers Day (Roast Turkey). The food is fantastic value, huge portions and there is a great notice on the bar telling you where all the meat has come from. My Dad is a Coeliac and they cater really well for him and give advice on what he can eat and go out of their way to ensure that he does not have anything that he should not. My parents are regular visitors to the Howley and I love visiting there when I see them. I come from Kent and I just wish that we had more pubs like this where I live.

The service is exceptional.

• Visited March 2013

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Pub Meal - one of the best in the area”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

As I type this I'm still shaking my head with the disbelief that the Howley Tavern languishes in 10th out of 18 in restaurants in the Chard area. Having, for example, suffered at the hands of the 'service' at the Windwhistle Inn it was a pleasant surprise to come here for a birthday meal.

Very warm and cosy rooms. Not the best decor or modern tables, chairs, cutlery or crockery but that doesn't really matter. The food was excellent. The lamb rump special was beautifully cooked. Two of my party also had the salmon in chilli and honey - they loved it. Portion sizes are considerable too - especially when seeing the huge bowl of curry delievered to next doors table!
The only thing they got wrong was to give us the lunch rather than evening menu at the beginning but a minor quibble really. As for the drink, there is a decent choice, whilst not plentiful or greatly varied, should be enough to cover most requirements. One farmhouse cider plus Thatchers Gold for example.

If only I had a pub like the Howley Tavern near my home. Family run, with great food. Well done to all involved!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Brother_Cadfael
Surrey
“Always tasty”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We visit the Howley Tavern whenever we visit friends who live next door!
Thank goodness the menu had changed this time as after eating there on many occasions over the last few years I almost knew the menu by heart!
Having said that there were always the specials.
Anyway, true to form the food for all 5 of us was excellent.
I would recommend that you seek this country pub out - dont let the single track road put you off.
It is well worth the diversion from the A303 or A30 to break your journey with a tasty meal. Mine came with 6 different vegetables can you believe it and that doesn't include the creamed leeks that my chicken was resting on!!

• Visited August 2012
Ottery St. Mary, United Kingdom
“Nice little country pub with great views”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Went here for a birthday meal with family. Menu not overly extensive but plenty of specials. The meals are all huge - we ended up taking the crispy duck home as my daughter and mother-in-law couldn't finish them. Nice atmosphere and great views (although it had been raining when we went so we couldn't sit outside). Would definitely go again.

• Visited June 2012
Wirral, United Kingdom
“Country pub with great food and staff, all set in beautiful scenic location”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We have eaten at this pub several times over a number of years and have never been disappointed.

Although usually eating there as a couple, on our last visit we took family and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The menu has lots of options and provided plenty of choice for the tastes of an older couple, a younger couple and an eleven year old.

The staff are extremely pleasant and helpful and as a family run business, we see the same staff each time we visit (maybe once or twice a year when visiting family in the area), which is always reassuring.

The atmosphere is relaxed and homely and very enjoyable. Bar meals are available but there is also a dedicated restaurant area. There is also a garden area with lovely views.

We have tried many different places to eat in the area over the years as they have been recommended to us but we always come back to the Howley Tavern as we have yet to find anywhere else we enjoy as much or that compares as favourably in all aspects.

• Visited July 2011