“Excellent musicians, creative cook and perfect ambiance.”

The Champs Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Was just great last Sunday at Dechamps. What a good idea to bring a lil jazz in Dominica. I live here and I was truly missing that kind of event. Michelle Henderson is a very talented, precious beauty. Plus keyboard, guitare, bass & drums. Jazz, soul and good blues too. Was a privilege to attend the show from our table, about 3 yards away from the stage. We really experienced magic moments. The food was excellent, way above the local average standards. Chef Eric made us a top class seared tuna and a perfect sweet sour chicken. And you know what ? They have more than 10 wines available by the glass. We only tasted 4 of these classy goodies, perfectly paired with our dishes. So, after my ears and my heart, my palate has been seduced too. Well, if you pass in Dominica, don't miss the Sunday Food & Jazz experience. Thank you to the Dechamps Team for the good time. We will be back.

3  Thank Nicolas O
Comfortel-De-Champ, Owner at The Champs Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Hello Nicolas O,
Thanks a lot for this raving review. Much appreciated.
As you know we try hard to give the highest level of quality and service to all our guests and we try to offer a variety of menus and ambiances.
Keep giving us your input to stay on top of things.
Thanks again.
Hans

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Nothing to dislike! Food is great, service is fantastic... really enjoyed the Mexican food!

Lise_van_de_Kamp, Owner at The Champs Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2015

Dear Nadezkda,

Thank you for such a short and excellent response. We are happy to know that our food was to your liking.

We do hope that you will come to visit again in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Lise

Reviewed March 28, 2012

The highlight of this restaurant is its location! Amazing place to watch the sunset and have cocktails. Absolutley stunning! There is limited choice of food however and the quality isnt great.

Comfortel-De-Champ, Owner at The Champs Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Hello Gemma, thanks for your 5 points review.
The stunning view comes for free and I'm a bit disappointed you were not pleased with the food.
We're currently working with Chef Eric on a new summer menu for our casual dining (weekdays) and hope to get even more satisfied patrons for restaurant De Champ.
Hope you will have a chance to visit us again in the future.
Regards, Hans (co-owner)

Reviewed March 18, 2012

This place is on the very top of a hill and has a great view of the bay and town.
The staff are very friendly. They need to have more staff working as it takes along time for the food.The food is good.And the prices fair. We have visited it 2 times on this trip. Would recommend the burgers and the quesadillas.

1  Thank CarterdogK
Lise_van_de_Kamp, Owner at The Champs Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are happy that our food were to your liking and its good to know that you came back a second time.

We would like to feel free and welcome to be part of our dining again.

Kind Regards,
Lise

Reviewed March 8, 2012

Great views, wow. Steep roads as is usual in Dominica, but worth the drive. But the food was really bland. All fried and a bit dull in taste. The music was average white mid 80's rock. Caribbean .... hellloooo.

I was with colegues from Ross who all seemed to think that the food fact was a secret not to be shared with the owner. I have no idea why. Advice really helps.

To be fair I have since heard that they have a new chef and that it is now really good.

This was my thoughts at the time. Why am I doing this review now? I finally got around to looking at photos of Dominica and eneded up here.

1  Thank MedLifeCrisis

Dear MedLifeCrisis, thank you for your calling us a great bar and the compliments of the view.
As you indicate, it's a while ago you visited us; my excuses that it took my a while to reply.
Yes indeed, we have a new chef on Fridays and Saturdays and he also coaches and trains the kitchen staff.
If ever you have a good reason to re-visit Ross University, come and check us out. I trust you will be surprised by the current menu and quality.
Kind Regards, Hans Schilders, co-owner