“Nice Hotel, Nice Price!”
Review of Rejens Hotel

Rejens Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Christiansted, St. Croix
“Nice Hotel, Nice Price!”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

On our last day in Dominica we decided to stay in Portsmouth. We didn’t have reservations anywhere so we just called a few places to see what was available. After looking at two different beach hotels (owned by the same company) we decided to try Rejens.

We are glad we did! We received a two bedroom (we only needed one) for less money than the other two comparable one bedroom hotels that we checked out! The customer service was excellent & the room was clean & up-to-date (flat screen TV & Internet).

We asked about dinner and the chef told us that he could make anything we wanted even if it’s not on the menu. I asked for some local Ginger Beer and he said that he had to go buy some fresh ginger to make it but it wouldn’t be a problem.

This hotel is only a few minutes drive from Portsmouth but we didn’t mind. The hotel is not on the beach but we live in the Caribbean so we see the ocean every day.

If you want to save some money and don’t need to wake up on the beach I would highly recommend Rejens for your stay in Portsmouth, Dominica.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Erik H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Rejens is not a resort, and is located at a small distance from town. If you're sea weary & long for clean sheets, practical amenities, excellent a/c and a good shower, you'll find them here at reasonable rates. Ditto for business travel or as jumping off spot for Portsmouth area. The breakfast buffet was generic but generous. WiFi doesn't penetrate rooms, but plugged access is fine.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Snowii1
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a few days during a business meeting. Thankfully I wasn't in Dominica and in this hotel for holidays, otherwise I would have been terribly disappointed. Most importantly, the hotel misleads prospective customers with false information about its location. It claims both on its website and in its printed marketing materials that the beach is across the road. Well, incredible as it may sound, this is not true. There is not even beach in sight of this hotel. It's out of town (you need a car to get into Portsmouth, or use the hotel's free shuttle), and most of its rooms face a concrete wall behind the hotel. I will upload a photo indicating what I looked at from my room. If you wish to go to the beach you also need to take a drive or a ride on the shuttle bus. In the unlikely event that the hotel is busy, you might find that this trip to the beach will take a rather long time.
Note that there is no restaurant at the hotel, so for every meal you need (other than breakfast) you will have to travel. The hotel offers to get food delivered for you. On the one occasion where I tried this service I ended up with a cold meal.
On the positive side: Most staff are very friendly and and try to be helpful. Internet access is wireless and while a bit slow, it is by and large working. The rooms are basic but kept clean and well do the trick. You can grab a good night's sleep at the Rejens Hotel. The breakfast buffet is not bad at all, but its quality depends on the number of people staying. The fewer guest the hotel has the lower the quality of what's on offer. Troublesome.
From what I gather, there don't seem to be quality accommodations close to the beach, but I can't comment on alternatives to the Rejens Hotel. I doubt I would choose to stay here if I came back to Portsmouth. It's located in the most bizarre spot offering you a view of a concrete wall instead of a view of the abundant rainforest.

Room Tip: As for a room not facing the concrete wall behind the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank udo s
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I stayed at Rejens for 6 days and loved every day of it. Being that my family is Dominican, we try to visit often and could never find a great place to stay. I am glad to say we struck gold! From the time I arrived, I was pleased. The workers we very helpful and organized. The were attentive and responded to requests promptly. The complimentary breakfast is simple, yet satisfying. They do have an authentic Dominican breakfast available at a reasonable extra per person fee.
There is currently no swimming pool, spa, fitness center, or activities. However, the hotel is still expanding and will provide most of these amenities in the near future. Needless to say, when my family and I go back, we will surely be staying here again. Great job Rejens!

Room Tip: All rooms have 2 bedrooms fully stocked kitchen and living/dining areas. The rooms on the corners of...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Deborah W
esjay719
Reviewed July 23, 2011

My family and I spent the first week of June 2011 at The Rejens Hotel and totally enjoyed the experience. The hotel's owner Remy and his staff were very accommodating and treated guests like family. I left the Nature Island (Dominica) with many new friends and am already making plans to return in 2012 and stay at this hotel.

My family and I reviewed the hotel's website prior to our trip and found that the site did not do the hotel any justice. The hotel's decor and location to major areas exceeded our expectations.

I strongly recommend this hotel for anyone who plans to visit the Portsmouth area, including Ross University and take a cool morning bath in the Picard River.

Big thanks to The Rejens Hotel for making my family's visit an amazing experience.

S. White
Georgia & New York CIty

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank esjay719
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Fort Young Hotel
Calibishie Lodges
Calibishie Lodges
#3 of 3 in Calibishie
Anchorage Hotel & Dive Center

Been to Rejens Hotel? Share your experiences!