All reviews zing zing zabuco villa our honeymoon private beach the indian river villa attendant plantain chips personal attendant natural beauty lion fish ylang ylang rum punch ti fey sunset sail middleham falls scuba diving year anniversary
Reviewed June 12, 2015

My partner and I had the privilege of staying 7 nights in Zabuco II. The villa exceeded all expectations...bigger and more beautiful than even the photos detail. The pool, private beach, food, amenities and service were top notch!

We can't recommend Secret Bay highly enough.

Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Ayeola G, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Secret Bay, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2015

Thanks thishawn ... so glad you enjoyed. We appreciate your review and hope we can spoil you again soon.

Reviewed June 9, 2015

We spent our honeymoon at Secret Bay in 2014 and we absolutely loved it. The location is out of this world, with a private beach and accommodation that is tucked away into the cliffs amongst the trees. We had breakfast every morning on our balcony and we were joined by the usual gang of birds and lizards who took great pleasure in stealing the odd raisin or nut from our plates while weren't looking!

The activities are also well planned, both on and off site. We especially enjoyed the kayaking and snorkelling. The cave was also a great experience, seeing the bats and having a guided tour was really special.

The food wads also stunning, with our daily "surprise" meals arriving on time and delivered by our own attendant. As with all luxury Caribbean resorts, it certainly isn't cheap, but we fell in love with both Secret Bay and Dominica itself and would love to come back again. Our only criticism is that there should be a bar area where you can get your own drinks and food rather than waiting for your attendant, but that is such a small complaint which is outweighed by the amazing experience of staying at a once in a lifetime resort. You really will not be disappointed!

Date of stay: July 2014
1  Thank Jamcas

It’s easy to get immersed in nature while you’re at Secret Bay... so many things to do right? Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will return to visit us.

Reviewed June 7, 2015

the whole trip was incredible there was nothing I would change. The views and food was amazing and the activities available at the resort such as kayaking, paddle boarding and even venturing into the cave were so much fun for all of us.

Room tip: all the rooms were exquisite
Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family

Yaay! Glad to know you had a great trip Harry. Thanks for choosing us :-)

Reviewed June 5, 2015

We're still buzzing from our six-night stay at Secret Bay - a true slice of paradise done in absolutely the right way. The eco 'resort' - a word I use carefully as this is a totally reimagined take on the word - is all about authenticity; from the exquisitely designed treehouse-style bungalows to the superb local dishes.

We stayed in Mapou, one of the smaller bungalows overlooking Tibay Beach. The view from the bedroom and downstairs balcony is absolutely stunning - built perpendicular to the shoreline and surrounded by trees, the setting is so pretty that we found it difficult pulling ourselves away. The interior is equally as charming, with a fully-equipped kitchen, super-comfy double bed and a barely noticeable a/c unit.

Because Secret Bay champions seclusion, there's no front desk - meaning we had our own personal attendant, Rosalin. She was absolutely fantastic from start to finish, arranging all our meals and ensuring we were happy at all times. Her friendliness was totally genuine - there was none of the faux enthusiasm and scripted conversations often synonymous with more mainstream high-end resorts. It was an absolute pleasure getting to know her and the other staff members.

The path from Mapou took us down to Tibay Beach via the Souce Shack, which serves lunch, drinks and snacks between 11 and 5. The ladies there are fantastic - just tell them what you want and they'll cook it up. Tibay is pretty enough to while away a morning or afternoon, but it's worth using one of the kayaks to paddle around the small headland to Secret Beach - undoubtedly one of the prettiest beaches on Dominica. With super-calm crystal-clear waters and perfect golden sands, we spent a lot of time here - usually without another soul in sight.

A third option is Cocoa Beach, a longer sandy beach to the north of Tibay. Stretching all the way to Picard, there's plenty of room here - plus the impressive backdrop of Cabrits National Park.

While the beaches kept us occupied, we did venture out on a few excursions - a boat ride to and subsequently along the Indian River, hikes to Middleham and Trafalgar Falls and snorkelling at Champagne Reef, a few miles south of Roseau. All were organised by Secret Bay and were very good value, with the experiences enhanced by the excellent quality of the guides.

All in all, a truly fantastic stay in what's probably the only destination of its kind in the Caribbean.

Room tip: Of the smaller bungalows, Mapou probably has the best views.
Date of stay: May 2015
1  Thank ConsciousCharlie

Hi Charlie,
For beach lovers like yourself, being at Secret Bay means easy access to 3 of Dominica’s top beaches- Secret Beach, Ti Bay Beach and Coconut Beach. Glad to know you enjoyed all three, in addition to your other activities. Roseline says ‘hi’.

Reviewed June 4, 2015

All the positives that already have been written are true..gorgeous villa and views, delicious food, Secret Bay endeavors to deeply please their clients all of whom have high expectations. One can train to deliver a beautful room and a delicious meal....but the true test is when the out of the ordinary calls upon staff to think fast.
Our situation placed demands on the staff of Secret Bay that pushed them far beyond their comfort zones! A day into our stay at Secret, we went scuba diving with a local operator whom we had booked ourselves. Equipment malfunctioned causing rapid uncontrolled ascent for me - which results in compression illness "bends". The dive operator did not offer proper medical attention thus making the situation worse. We found our way back to Secret and sought out Merlinda who, without a moment of hesitation, jumped into action and pulled the whole Secret Bay team together to lend assistance. Despite it being their day off, the General Manager, Marvin, and Assistant Gilbert arrived almost instantly. The hotel's Doctor was contacted as was our dive instructor in the United States. When I arrived at the local hospital "catastrophe room" I became frightened as the lack of quality care was obvious. Gregor Nassif, Secret's Owner appeared and stayed at our side along with the fantastic team of Secret Bay. The entire team acted as a fine tuned orchestra with grace and discretion and just the right amount of urgency. They saw to it that I received the best care possible and continued to monitor me after we were allowed to leave hospital. The next day found me quit ill with bends symptoms. They gave me privacy yet stayed within a whisper call if something was needed. Sara Lee hovered without smothering....bringing my favorite passion fruit ice cream. Gregor and Marvin spent time swapping stories of our professional endevours and we all breathed a sigh of relief as the symptoms lifted late that day. Unfortunately - my "adventure" wasn't over. I awoke at 4am with a wrenching pain in my left side that took my breath away. I recognized the pain of a kidney stone confirmed by difficulty urinating and blood. From experience I knew the pain was going to get worse. I needed a CAT scan, medication and fluids fast....not to be had on Dominica. A call to Marvin brought the Secret Bay team out once again. I was deeply embarrassed at my frailty as I am usually athletic and fiercely independent. Gregor worked magic in booking us on a flight out of Dominica. Marvin appeared to whisk us to the airport and then stayed with us as we dealt endlessly with the red tape of the airlines. 15 hours later I was hospitalized back at home with my Dr at my side.
Is Secret Bay a great boutique hotel? Absolutely one of the most delightful we have experienced.
MORE IMPORTANTLY - Secret Bay will nurture you with a standard of excellence, care and concern that is unheard of in today's world. This team loves what they do and it shows....and the guest feels it.
THANK YOU to each and every member of Secret Bay for going ABOVE AND BEYOND!

Room tip: Zabuco Honeymoon Villa - Wonderful!
Date of stay: June 2015
5  Thank EnjoyExploring2

The entire Secret Bay staff was genuinely concerned about your well-being and breathed a collective sigh relief at news of your recovery. Saralee, Marvin, Gregor and the rest of the Team, still recall the day you returned from your diving trip and are happy to know that despite this difficult experience, you left us on a positive note. We hope you are doing well and would love to see you again!