All reviews zing zing zabuco villa our honeymoon private beach the indian river villa attendant plantain chips personal attendant natural beauty lion fish ylang ylang rum punch ti fey sunset sail middleham falls scuba diving year anniversary
Reviewed April 6, 2015

Secret Bay..trip advisor

My husband and I have just spent a month being pampered in Secret Bay, the creative work of Gregor Nassief, a remarkably talented, kind and generous host. We stayed in Mapou, a beautifully designed efficiently appointed small cottage completely built by hand of handsome lustrous hard wood. It was snuggled into the hillside preserving as many trees as possible so that it seemed organically connected with the environment. The cottage was a work of art which provided “luxury without pretentiousness”… world class kitchen appliances, a small library with well selected books, fine binoculars, Bose speakers, a kindle with the daily New York Times or your choice of other newspapers, DVD’s, an extremely comfortable queen sized bed, piles of fluffy towels, beach blankets, etc.etc. and a gorgeous view. We were also provided with an iPhone so we could reach any of the staff who were always available and responded to any of our requests with “no problem”

Even more important than the incredible facility were the kind, competent and generous staff led by Marvin, the manager, who seemed to be everywhere and was always ready to serve us. He, like the rest of the staff, seemed to want nothing more than to make us comfortable and happy. We felt we were being held by a loving family.

Merlinda who greeted us and helped us choose and plan a “bespoke holiday” was more than her title of Concierge implies…she was available 24/7 to answer questions, and fulfill requests. She was extremely sensitive to my physical limitations and advanced age when helping us plan our days, respecting our wish to blend restful time on the property with tours of this “nature island”. We particularly liked to swim from the white sand Coconut Beach about a 6 minute drive from the property, and Gilbert, the driver and man of many services, was always available to provide the ride..

During our stay we were assigned an attendant, a young woman who really took care of us…cleaned our quarters, did our laundry, delivered our meals, made suggestions as to what we might order from the unique cooking service, arranged flowers etc. During the month Bianca and Megan did a wonderful job providing this service for a few days each. The majority of our stay we were taken care of by Shamima, a warm delightful young woman who seemed to anticipate our needs and to provide care over and above what was required .

As for meals, we really enjoyed the unique cooking service in which we had the option of preparing our own meals or having them prepared and delivered to our cottage by our attendant. We do not eat meat and there was always fresh fish and a large variety of fruits and vegetables, beautifully prepared and delicious.

Although the taxi driver and tour guide Ryan was not an employee of Secret Bay, they made a point of being sure he was the one called for us. He had an incredible knowledge of the flora and fauna of the island, and its history. I could not have seen the wonders of the rain forest without his help in navigating the trails. While not an actual employee, he had the spirit of the folks at Secret Bay.

The island itself is absolutely gorgeous with its rain forest, waterfalls, sulfur baths
Volcanos, mountains, etc. but the bottom line of what is bringing us back for a month next year is the service and the people, unmatched by anything my husband and I have experienced in our 45 years of world travel.

Date of stay: February 2015
2  Thank shirleyBoston
Merlinda F, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Secret Bay, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2015

Hi shirleyBoston, the entire Secret Bay wishes to say a thank you for making the time to write a detailed review of your stay. We love your “luxury without pretentiousness” description of the property and Dominica by extension.

You were indeed family, having stayed a month on property we knew how important it was to make you feel at home. It brings us great pleasure to read of the little details which made your vacation phenomenal.

We work closely with our service providers – they are part of the family – and we are delighted that they were able to provide you with the right level of service. We are one Big Happy Family.

As a well-traveled person, we are overjoyed to know that our service was one thing that impressed you and thus planning to return next year. Wow!. Thanks for sharing this with the world. The team misses you and we really look forward to your return next year.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 3, 2015

I stayed on the Island 10 days in total. My last 5 days I stayed at Secret Bay. For starters ...Dominica does NOT have a Big Night life seen. If you end up going to Dominica, there's a good chance you have done your research and are trying to Avoid that crowed anyways. Whoever you bring is your nightlife. Drink bush rum late in the night and enjoy their company.The Ti-Fey Bungalow is where I stayed. The bungalow was beyond our expectations. The grounds were very pretty and very well maintained. Staff was Awesome. One of my favorite little things they do that I didn't know about prior to being at SB was they provide you with a Cell Phone for your stay. Huge in my book as far as making you feel more at home. I am from Chicago and I would never use my phone without a plan that allows me travel.(which I don't lol).

Secret Bay is Pricey as far a Cost of rooms. But No resort on Dominica is like this one as far as accommodation go.

Recommend. As per our stay we were asked what kind of things would you like to do. Being on the island for 5 days prior, we did a lot of the things they had already. They offered Spear Fishing. This may not attract everyone but I would like everyone to know it is a great deal. Boat ride, Snorkeling, Spear fishing and everything you ( Or Don) catch is edible. So its a free meal too. We caught 4 Lion Fish and 1 big Lobster. After we went upstairs, put the bag in the fridge. Dinner time approached and we boiled the lobster and beer battered the fish. All ourselves. They also have GoPros (3+) available upon request and Goggles that hold it. So not only did we go spear fishing. I have it all on video.

Side Note - One of the only places I have ever gone where Everyone that lives on the island put themselves 2nd to the Island. So much love for nature and EVERYONE cares more about the beauty and maintaining of what makes the nature island so special than themselves.

All in all .... if you or yours want a more Upscale place to stay with a very helpful staff for all of your needs, This place does a wonderful job.

Date of stay: March 2015
1  Thank Mike H

Dear Mike,

The team would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. Visiting an Island like Dominica is the always the best escapade having come from urban lifestyle. We are happy you enjoyed our little paradise.

With the increasing need for us to keep in touch we knew the iPhones would be ideal for our guests. By providing luxury in the rainforest, exquisite architecture, serenity, coupled with a personal attendant and the latest gadgets we really work hard to provide guests with value for their money.

Thanks so much for sharing your fishing expedition. This is one of the popular on-site activities. The best of both worlds – hunt, cook and eat.

Dominicans are very patriotic and it’s common amongst us to promote our rich culture and heritage whenever we can. I’m happy you appreciate it.

Thanks and all the best for 2015.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 1, 2015

We got married in Secret Bay on the 28th of February and it was an absolutely awesome experience. I will not spend any time reviewing the accommodation or the location as there are already many reviews to give you an idea of the standard you will be getting.

I will focus more on our wedding day which couldn't have been better. We were visiting two other islands (Saint Lucia and Antigua) in our trip but decided to get married in Dominica and specifically at Secret Bay. Our wedding day started by snorkeling to the pristine, crystal clear waters of nearby Secret Beach. Then later on we had some light lunch in our balcony and by 4pm a boat took us to the nearby Secret Beach where the evangelist, photographer and 3 of Secret Bay staff were waiting for us. The ceremony was on the beach and it was wonderful and then we took some time to take photos on the beach. After that we headed by boat back to Secret Bay's sunset deck for champagne and more photos.

We had dinner with musicians playing music just for us and the quality of the food we had rivals top-class restaurants. The whole experience felt very private and all the staff (especially Merlinda and Nicaise) contributed to us having an unforgettable experience. When we headed back to our bungalow it was beautifully decorated with flowers.

Overall, we had the time of our lives and we look forward to returning to this amazing place.

Date of stay: February 2015
1  Thank Michalis Z

Hi Michalis Z,

Thanks so much for spilling the beans on your wedding experience at Secret Bay…We love weddings! Just reading this has deepened our appreciation for special celebrations because you chose us. Great choice of destination to get married! The staff takes pride in ensuring all the details are taken care of.

We knew a beach wedding would be the icing on the cake and Secret Beach just happened to top it off. It’s a wonderful feeling every time our guests express their satisfaction. As you said “The perfect wedding”…. Thanks!

We will definitely be looking to see you for your 1st anniversary.

We wish you the very best and God’s blessings in your marriage.

From the entire team and Fire….take care.

Reviewed March 30, 2015

Most romantic place ever. Sunrise, sun sets, gr8 staff. Gr8 food. Awesome secret beach. Kayaking, relaxing. They cater to your every need. From food to clothing, cleaning etc. You have your won private kitchen or you could order food from them. They will stalk your fridge with anything you want. You're also given a phone and Ipad to make your stay more comfortable.

Date of stay: June 2014
1  Thank Yaki622

Dear Yaki622, it’s great to know that you had a romantic stay with us. Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. The simple thing which brings the epiphany that happiness is relative. Thanks for just enjoying our simplicity.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed March 26, 2015

Gregor, Melvin and Merlinda and all the staff at Secret Bay just have the perfect oasis that made our honeymoon amazing. We had our own private pool...they consulted with us ahead of time so that all of our food and needs were taken care so all we had to do was relax...I think if my wife had one choice whether to keep me or stay at Secret Bay forever...I guess I would be single again :) If you want a amazing vacation come to Dominica and if you want an amazing experience you must stay at Secret Bay!!!

Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Hi Peter C, thanks for making the time to leave your feedback and for your delightful comments about our property and design.

We would always make space to accommodate your wife and allow you visitation rights ..:-)

We are happy you enjoyed your honeymoon with us and hope to have you back again.