All reviews zing zing zabuco villa our honeymoon private beach the indian river villa attendant plantain chips personal attendant natural beauty lion fish ylang ylang rum punch ti fey sunset sail middleham falls scuba diving year anniversary
Reviewed December 15, 2014

Had a wonderful time - great place. Nice staff.Had a wonderful time - great place. Nice staff.Had a wonderful time - great place. Nice staff.Had a wonderful time - great place. Nice staff. Great place.

Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 15, 2014

I bought a stay here via Living Social and thought, "Why not?" since I'd never been to Dominica. Let me tell you, this place is fabulous! My friend Samantha and I were treated incredibly well our whole stay. We had our meals made every night by the kitchen and it was scrumptious! The private beach is well worth kayaking to. Overall, an incredible vacation.

Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank melon615
Reviewed December 15, 2014

What a great place and experience and it all started well before we got there! Email exchanges for questions and planning with Merlinda and K were always answered immediately. Nothing was too much for them. Upon arrival, a personal greeting when we pulled up. So, these are the smiling faces to the names I felt I knew so well. Secret Bay is everything the pictures depict- intimate luxury without pretentiousness. Every guests privacy is respected. Excursions are personally planned and the people they choose to do business with are top notch. The food is wonderful but what makes it over the top, is the personal attendant assigned to your every need. Bianca was an angel. She reviews your villa top to bottom. You get a personal cell phone with all staff numbers for anytime of day! She catered to our every wish. She met with us and asked our food preferences, from there we left it to her. What a great job she did with special thoughtful dinners. Hats off to the Chefs! The food was top rate! There is no other place to stay when in Dominica. Thank you Secret Bay family!

Room tip: We stayed in the Mapou bungalow. There are bigger accommodations but the level of luxury is the same! After seeing them we would stay in the Mapou again but would like the pool! Intimate luxury! When you are on a romantic holiday, you don't want to get lost and not find your "other". Best view!
Date of stay: December 2014
Reviewed December 12, 2014

Without a doubt one of the most fantastic vacations I've ever been on. The staff, the amenities, the food- all first class. We went here for our first vacation and quickly realized this trip would be unsurpassed. We stayed in both bungalows. The smaller bungalow was probably my favorite. It was the cozy, rustic abode I craved, coming from the occasionally drab and perpetually bustling NYC. The larger bungalow was also wonderful and provided a more palatial vibe.

Bottom-line: Secret Bay was constructed to suggest a paradisiacal oasis nestled among the brush and wildlife of an untouched but for from forgotten Caribbean sanctuary. Picture that description in your mind's eye, then book a trip and prepare to be blown away. Secret Bay exceeds expectations in every way.

Date of stay: May 2014
2  Thank Christian J
Reviewed December 7, 2014

My wife and I originally chose Secret Bay for our honeymoon as it met our needs as both a luxury "resort" while also allowing us to enjoy the natural beauty of Dominica and not necessarily feel as disconnected as you a typical commercial resort a la Sandals. Not to say that the Sandals experience is lacking, but there is something about Secret Bay and the island it calls home that sets it apart from all other trips we have taken. I, myself, have been lucky enough to enjoy resorts throughout Mexico and the Caribbean and I must say that Secret Bay was without a doubt the best experience I have had and, to be frank, may ever have.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by Gilbert and a batch of homemade cookies and dried fruits. An hour and fifteen minute drive went by quickly as Gilbert told us stories about the history of the island, stopped for photo ops, and even pointed out the home he grew up in. That last point is something to take note of, everyone we met made a point of showing us the pride they took in Dominica and the lives they lead therein. When we got to the resort we were whisked to our villa, Zabuco II, where we were acquainted with the amenities via our attendant Deslyn. Later in the week, Saralee rotated in for Deslyn and was an absolute pleasure to deal with as well. One evening we were also visited by Gregor, the owner of Secret Bay, who spent some time with us chatting about his history with the island and the resort.

The first day was spent walking around the property and relaxing in the villa. We enjoyed some of the homemade rum punch and cookies, chips and other snacks we requested. It should be noted you don't need to request coffee as there is a Siemens coffee maker in the villas which is pre-loaded with coffee prior to arrival. Each day/night we were prepared three square meals and any snacks we requested. We tried to order dishes across the spectrum of foods they offered and were never disappointed. The food was wonderful! Our favorite dishes were the coffee rubbed steak, creole chicken, beer battered lion fish, cornmeal pancakes and the traditional Dominican breakfast. After a week's stay, three meals a day, plus a few bottles of rum punch and other miscellaneous snacks, our food bill was only about $400 USD, which, when you think about it, is far cheaper than eating out 3 times a day for a week. If you happen to be staying on a Friday night, definitely check out The Champs which luckily is only about 5 minutes from the resort. The resident chef, Eric, from Secret Bay cooks as a guest there and makes quite the meal. It is very well priced considering the exchange rate, my wife got a 12-14 oz. filet mignon for about $55 USD.

We went on a number of excursions during our stay. The Middleham Falls hike is about 2 hours in total and anyone in average shape can handle it. After the Falls, we stopped by Screw's Spa, which since it was not a cruise day, was very quiet and peaceful. Merlinda did advise us that they try to schedule excursions on days when no cruise ships are in port. Our driver always happened to be Louis, a great man who was also clearly well liked by the locals. We also went to Fort Shirley and hiked the trails behind it. We also enjoyed the river boat cruise (Hey, Fire!) and the sunset sail with Captain Mark. One of the stand-out things about our stay involved the hike to Middleham wherein my wife twisted her ankle. When we got back to the resort, Merlinda had obtained a sports brace and voltaren gel to help sooth the pain. The staff also continued to follow up with us to make sure my wife was doing well and even, without our asking, went out and got a better, stiffer, brace for the remainder of our stay.

I should note that before we got to Dominica, we had spent a week in Jamaica at a different resort for our destination wedding. It gave us the opportunity to better juxtapose the different aims of both types resorts. Your typical commercial resort is buzzing with energy and things to do, however banal. Secrets, on the other hand, feels almost like a dream. At all times you're surrounded by the sounds of the ocean, birds singing, wind rustled trees and nothing else, while in complete privacy. The time spent just taking everything in on the deck of our villa was far better than the miscellaneous activities, parties and general raucous of the resort we were in prior. As I stated above, there is just something special, unique, about the island. It's a trip we'll never forget, though most importantly, a trip we will certainly repeat in the future. For some, a stay in the villa may ask a few years of saving, or others, the price is an afterthought. Regardless, take the time to come here, you will never look at vacationing the same again.

Room tip: We stayed in Zabuco 2 which is the closest villa to the entrance. To our West was Zabuco 3 which was also slightly higher in elevation. I think all would agree the original Zabuco is the most private, but I would actually recommend Zabuco 3 over Zabuco 2 in terms of the next most private villa.
Date of stay: November 2014