My husband and I stayed at Secret Bay in early 2012, and ever since have wanted to come back to relive the amazing experience we had on our first trip to Dominica. We travel fairly frequently, and very rarely return to a destination we’ve already visited, certainly not to the same hotel or resort. Secret Bay so much exceeded our expectations and created such a memorable experience our first time that we were more than willing to make an exception. However, we wondered, would the many accolades and awards Secret Bay has received in the past few years change a place we loved so much? I am happy to report that it has only gotten better, which I wasn’t sure was possible!
If you are looking for a relaxing, rejuvenating and naturally beautiful place to stay with a friendly, attentive and knowledgeable staff, delicious food and a vacation experience you can customize, then Secret Bay is the place for you. From the moment we landed until we checked in for our flight home, Anastasia, Britney, Dora, Gilbert and all the staff at Secret Bay made us feel welcome and allowed us to enjoy our vacation without a worry. Secret Bay is so unique - you can feel completely secluded, yet anything you needed is just a phone call away. The level of service is beyond compare. We often felt like we were the only guests, and the layout of Secret Bay allows for this. The beautifully constructed bungalows and villas are sited so well, nestled into the ridge, each one is barely visible from the other. The walkways, paths and decks are designed with respect for the existing terrain, and the native plantings and sounds of wildlife are a treat for the senses.
This time we stayed in both the Mapou Bungalow and the Zabuco III Villa - each had every convenience you may need, and ZIII had more than you could imagine! Perched among the trees in the bungalow with floor-to ceiling windows, we were treated to breathtaking views from every room. Once we moved up to ZIII, we thought we would never leave. We took advantage of the pool, hammock, decks, the full kitchen and the beautiful interior – there are so many amenities in the villa, if I listed them I’d make this already long review much longer! At both locations we spent mornings on the balcony or deck drinking coffee and enjoying the views of the sea, then quiet evenings eating dinner by candlelight listening to the sound of the waves. Throughout our stay, the refrigerator was stocked with fresh juices and anything else we requested. The food was beyond delicious, from the traditional Dominican breakfasts to the snacks and a different three-course meal every night; all made with fresh, local ingredients.
We enjoyed several hiking, snorkeling and diving outings organized by Anastasia that allowed us to maximize our experience of this beautiful island (we highly recommend the Summer Fun package). Our guides were extremely knowledgeable and friendly, and they took us to places off the beaten path (where we rarely saw a tour bus). We highly recommend the Boiling Lake hike with Cynthia – challenging, but worth the effort! While we loved the hiking excursions and exploring Dominica, it was also nice to stay put and enjoy the beauty of Secret Bay. One of our favorite things to do was to kayak over to the beach in the afternoon, swim and relax in the sand, then watch the sunset over the water. We rarely saw another person!
We enjoyed reconnecting with the familiar faces at Secret Bay and meeting a few new ones - all the people that make Secret Bay the amazing place it is. After our week-long stay, we were sad to leave. Returning to Dominica and Secret Bay felt like coming home, and we truly appreciate the staff’s efforts to make this second experience so wonderful. Secret Bay is truly a special place, and we’re looking forward to our third trip – we may even make it an annual tradition!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the unspoilt nature island of Dominica, Secret Bay offers sustainable luxury villas and bungalows and is the perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or the secluded holiday of a lifetime. Situated on a cliff-top overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay is unique in its diversity: two beaches, the magical Cario River, a spectacular sea cave and two distinct micro-climates. Secret Bay is becoming known as one of the best boutique resorts in the Caribbean - and indeed the world - for honeymoons, anniversaries, small family escapes and adventure vacations. In 2013 Secret Bay was chosen as the number one luxury resort in Caribbean by Islands Magazine; and its Zabuco Honeymoon Villa was voted as having the 3rd sexiest bedroom in the world at the Smiths Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Secret Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Bay Hotel Portsmouth
- Secret Bay Dominica/Portsmouth