All reviews zing zing our honeymoon private beach villa attendant the cliff sunset deck plantain chips lion fish personal attendant ti fey ylang ylang rum punch each meal ahead of time yogurt chef grant scuba diving
Selected filters
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This review has been long overdue as my wife and I completed our trip to Secret Bay in January. We started our stay in the Mapou bungalow, which is a quaint duplex with fabulous views and all the amenities you could hope for, however after seeing the Zabuca Villa we were lucky enough to be able to upgrade. The staff made the change seamless by moving all of our belonging to Zubuca while we took a private yoga class on the sunset deck. At Secret Bay this type of service is a way of life for the staff and any outside services recommended by the resort. I am in the hospitality business and I am always impressed by true hospitality. The owners of Secret Bay have Hospitality down to a “T” and have a complete staff that managed to execute their vision flawlessly.

Our week a Secret Bay was by far the best Caribbean Vacation we have ever had. The owners Gregor and Sandra have thought of everything to provide you with a totally stress free vacation in one of the most beautiful locations in the Caribbean. Often on Caribbean vacations, even at the most expensive 5 star resorts, service can be sporadic depending on the staff member and their ambition to be the best at what they do. At Secret Bay the staff manages to make you feel like you are the only guest in the resort, from Anna the manager, the chefs, drivers, all the way down to the friendly grounds keepers no matter what you need someone is always there to get it for you.

The food is incredible and anything you can think of they are happy to make for you. The chefs cook with the freshest ingredients that are indigenous to the island and its surroundings, from homemade yogurt, jams and bread for breakfast to whole roasted fish and grilled lobster for dinner, every meal was truly an epicurean delight. They make their own snacks; some of our favorites were the granola bars and mango chips. For a light afternoon snack I recommend the green papaya salad or Caribbean style chicken wings.

The Location of Secret Bay is truly breathtaking with some of the most incredible views and sunsets you will ever see. We had views of rainbows every day from every deck and window of our villa, our pictures actually look photo shopped because the beauty is to surreal. The website pictures simple can’t capture the beauty of Secret Bays location the way you can when you are standing there and taking it all in.

The villas and bungalow are as stunning as they look on the website and are equipped with every amenity to make you feel as if you are in a private home. One day our cappuccino maker was not working and it was replaced by the next day. However, our concierge arranged for us to have any type of coffee we needed no matter where we were in the resort.

Dominica is one of the most beautiful, quiet, safe and pristine islands you will visit with endless activities, nature that will make you stop and stare at every turn and the friendliest people you will ever encounter in the Caribbean. If you are looking for a place to get away from it all with incredible hiking, diving and relaxation then look no further.

My wife and I work very hard and are extremely selective when choosing a vacation spot so when we find a resort that manages to put it all together in one package and leave an ever lasting impression we really appreciate it.. Thank you Gregor, Sandra, Anna and your whole staff, you should be very proud of what you have created.

P&D

We will be back soon.

Room tip: Whatever your budget is you wont be disappointed but if you can splurge for one on the Villas then go for it. They are worth every penny.
2  Thank PJF401
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My husband and I returned recently from a week-long stay in paradise!, i.e. Secret Bay.
From the moment you arrive, you are steeped in lush flora/fauna, impeccable service and architecture/design that is elegant and stops short at nothing! Whether you stay in the cozy, treehouse “bungalow” (we stayed in Mapou…amazing views from the floor to ceiling windows of the upstairs bedroom) or one of the villas (we also stayed in Zing-Zing….a spacious, 2 bedroom building with every modern kitchen appliance and a spacious veranda where we spent most of our time (not one mosquito, by the way, but spray at night for the no-see-ums), you can’t help but feel you are luxuriating in the highest quality of materials and design.

The service truly sets this resort apart from anywhere we’ve stayed. From the very first email,…..Anna,( the manager) makes you feel very special. With her warmth, intelligence and “can-do” attitude she sits down with you upon your arrival and helps you arrange all of your excursions, spa treatments, restaurants, taxis, and on-site activities. We especially loved the hike she directed us to, section 13 of the Waitukanubi (?)trail….this is a delightful, moderate, 3+hour hike that takes you through idyllic farm-like landscapes, rainforest and stunning coastal vistas. The other staff who attend to your meals and other needs are fantastic as well.

The food surpassed our expectations----everything was deliciously and beautifully prepared, using Caribbean spices to perfection. You can get any two meals you like in a given day…..some of our favorites were the lion fish, the bbq’d ribs for lunch (they’ll pack them up to take on a kayak to the beach), the lobster, the steak and the amazing array of fruits and vegetables. We loved talking with Gemer, the award-winning chef, down at the Souce shack….we are awaiting her cook book. When ordering items for your stay, we would recommend stocking up on the Secret Bay rum punch, the homemade granola and granola bars, their delicious greek yogurt and the flavorful fruit juices (you can also order a wide variety of wines, alcohol and beer).

Other excursions we loved were fishing/snorkeling with Don, exploring the cave with Vincent, kayaking around the bay on our own (Coconut Beach is accessbile and has sun in the morning, Secret Bay in the afternoon). The river boat tour was lovely but a bit touristy.

While at Secret Bay, you may have all the privacy you wish….on some days we never saw another guest . My suggestion to Gregor (the charming and personable owner who came to our villa and spent some time with us) would be to think about a weekly “cocktail” party up at the Sunset Deck and/or a beach bbq lunch/dinner that would give people the option to mingle with other guests and compare notes about this magical little “secret”!

Room tip: the bungalows are small, but cozy and with amazing views from the bedroom. Zing Zing villa, while set back a bit from the bay, is extremely spacious (2 bedrooms and baths), has its own hot tub and spectacular verandah and beautiful views.
Date of stay: February 2014
3  Thank momtwo
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Secret Bay is a hidden treasure. The environment and the serenity of the property and its surrounding shores with all the natural beauty make this a very special and relaxing place. There is a little beach on the property, and you can easily kayak to Coconut beach to the right and Secret Beach to the left - both are easy 5-10 minute kayak rides (slightly more challenging if the wind is kicking up.) The nearby Fort Shirley and a tour with "Dr. Birdy" are not to be missed. The staff are all wonderful, and Anna will address any request that you have. Anna really works hard to please the guests, and she does so in a pleasant way. Anna set us up with Tour guides and taxi drivers, and every one was knowledgeable and friendly, and we felt very safe and in good hands at all times. Everyone who works at Secret Bay is nice, pleasant and friendly - every single person. A special thanks to the ladies at the Sous Shack who prepare all of the meals - they do an excellent job preparing tasty meals using all local ingredients. We loved sitting at the counter and watching them cook, and chatting with them, and learning about what's going on in Dominica. We had lunch at the Sous Shack every day and definitely found this to be a special part of the trip for us. We had dinner served on our deck every night. The hotel was full but since it can accommodate only a total of approximately 14 people, it always felt like we were the only ones there, and that all of the staff were focused on us and on making our stay a pleasantly memorable one. They succeeded, consistently. We enjoyed Secret Bay and Dominica so much that we stayed 2 extra days.
It is important to note that Secret Bay and Dominica are not for everyone - If you are looking for a Hilton or a Four Seasons, or nightlife, this is not the place. If you are looking for a small secluded place with local character, spotless, natural beauty, and friendly and accommodating staff, this is the place - don't miss it.

Room tip: The rooms closer to the water have more "natural sounds" like birds, trees swishing, and the surf. The Zabucco Villa III had absolutely beautiful sunsets and rainbows, but less "nature" noises. Zabucco III is also a walk up a steep hill. Zing-Zing has 2 bedrooms and is a great spot for 2 couples. The website description of the rooms is accurate. The hot tub at Zing-Zing and the dipping pools at Zabucco II and III are really really nice to have, as are the high end kitchen amenities (the cappuccino machine was the only one we used since we had all of our meals prepared).
8  Thank Sheilah S
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Secret Bay is luxurious and relaxing with consistent first class service!!!!
Each day I enjoyed views from large floor to ceiling glass windows opening to the Caribbean sea below, with a lush forrest view behind me. The daily sounds were provided by the sea gently crashing below my deck, along with beautiful tropical birds singing all around the private bungalow.
As I wandered throughout the expansive lush property I found many secluded spots that included two private beaches, a sunset deck, gorgeous landscaping, along with many amenities to enjoy daily excursions.
My arrival started with a warm welcome at the airport by Gilbert, who cheerfully gave me a tour of the island on the way to the resort! Anastasia greeted me upon my arrival at the resort and graciously introduced me to other lovely members of the team throughout my 5 day vacation. Great efforts were put into planning my three excursions, which included an Indian river tour, horseback riding and a nature/birdwatching hike. Even the owner, Gregor, took the time to greet me during my stay.
The bungalow was comfortable, immaculate, and has a pristine architectural flair. I slept peacefully in my treetop bedroom with a view of the sea. Each day I enjoyed wonderfully prepared dishes that were created with local tropical produce and freshly caught fish/shellfish! My favorite item when stocking the kitchen was the gourmet basket, which was full of tropical fruits, granola, yogurt and honey, along with the cocoa tea!
Finally, the best part of the resort experience were the sincere, professional people who valued Dominica's natural beauty and made each day a beautiful memory by providing top notch service!!

Room tip: Love the bungalows for going solo or for a couple who wants to be cozy!
Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stunningly beautiful accommodations that grabbed my attention even after years of travel and stays at 5 star hotels. My next stay will be extended to fully take advantage of the peaceful surroundings and the amazing service, but most importantly relax an not leave my incredible room!
If you have a bucket list add Secret Bay.

Date of stay: January 2014
Trip type: Traveled as a couple