All reviews zing zing zabuco villa our honeymoon private beach the indian river villa attendant plantain chips personal attendant natural beauty lion fish ylang ylang rum punch ti fey sunset sail middleham falls scuba diving year anniversary
Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I had an amazing 8-day stay at Secret Bay. We wanted to go somewhere completely "away" and somewhat extravagant, and Secret Bay is definitely both of those things. We visited during the rainy "off" season, in early July, and we found everything to our liking. There was a tropical storm that came through during our stay, and the owner of the resort came to our bungalow with wine and chocolate and apologies for the weather (as if it was his fault!). Truth be told, we loved spending two days cuddled up inside and watching the storm through the windows of our beautiful treehouse.

There is so much good to say about Secret Bay and Dominica. I am very grateful that I carefully read and understood every detail before we went - it is in no way a "typical" hotel or vacation experience, and it's important to know that beforehand. The property is breathtaking, and the rooms are absolutely gorgeous. The beaches and coral reefs that you have access to (by swimming or kayak) are deserted, and so amazing. We felt at times as though we had the island all to ourselves. We borrowed bikes and went to the national park a few miles away, and we paid for a guided hike to the Boiling Lake (a once-in-a lifetime, not-to-be-missed experience if you have the stamina) and we have talked about the trip in glowing terms ever since we got back. The staff and proprietors of the hotel are wonderful, kind, caring people who offer incredible service and attention, bordering on actual friendship! I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever about the trip, or choosing Secret Bay.

All that said, it is important to understand that this is not the vacation for everyone. Yes, there are bugs, the wildlife is loud at night (you're in a rainforest!) and you cannot have everything you want "on demand". This is not a resort in the traditional sense, even though it is totally modern. We hardly saw another guest the whole time we were there. Cable was out for a few days because of the storm (but we never lost internet!) and if the weather is bad, you'd better like the person you came with, because you'll be indoors with them a lot! The food that was cooked for us was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, but because of the way that it is plated in another building and delivered to your villa or bungalow, it was sometimes a bit cold by the time we sat down to eat it. Again, not a big deal to us - but for some people, that might be a deal breaker. (Honestly, the food was so delicious, I'm surprised to read that people have any complaints about it, but this is what I mean. It's not the experience for "everyone".) There is no formal bar or restaurant, but we had a fantastic time dropping by the Source Shack (I still dream about that rum punch) and chatting with the amazing ladies who prepared our meals. Also, dinners were 3-courses, and so huge that we often ended up saving half of dinner for lunch the next day.

I really loved our time there. This might sound odd, but I felt it was the perfect intersection of "away from it all" and "super deluxe". It was a vacation to remember, always.

Date of stay: July 2013
6  Thank justjanuary
Reviewed January 24, 2014

4 of us spent a few days in Dominica and stayed at these delightful cottages which are situated on a small secluded beach.
Nothing was too much trouble and the staff were excellent. Food acceptable and tasty but not 5*. Meals were prepared in the main kitchen and served in ones cottage as they do not have a main restaurant.
The cottages themselves were excellent with every mod con, large rooms and en-suite luxy bathrooms.
An ideal honeymoon retreat
Would love to stay there again

Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank Jayed2
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I visited Secret Bay in early January 2014...Everything exceeded our expectations. Stayed in the Zabucco Honeymoon Villa which is amazing along with terffic personalized service from the entire staff...Just a beautiful experience. Looking forward to coming back.

2  Thank MN427
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This hotel exceeds all expectations. The rooms are exceptional and the service is excellent. Your every need is catered to..all you have to do is relax and enjoy your vacation. Well done Secret Bay! You've certainly raised the bar and made this a vacation to remember. I would certainly be back!

Date of stay: September 2013
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My wife and I visited Secret Bay for the first time in November, 2013 for our 24th wedding anniversary. We loved our time at Secret Bay so much we couldn't resist bringing our children back to Secret Bay! Don't worry honeymooner's, the villas are so private you will be lucky to even know that there children at Secret Bay!

So many of the reviews are from couples, I wanted to offer a different perspective for families traveling with teens. Our children are 20, 16, and 13 and could not have been happier with our week long stay over the New Year.

My wife and I stayed in Zubuco Villa, while the three kids stayed in Zing Zing. They were only a one minute walk away, and we all enjoyed our privacy and space. There is no concern for safety at Secret Bay as the Island has very little crime, the resort is set apart from the city, and they have a security guard at the gated entrance throughout the night. The kids would come to Zabuco for our wonderful gourmet meals and if they wanted a pizza or hamburgers while my wife and I had a salad or fish it was no problem! The staff at Secret Bay was as kind and considerate to our children as they were to my wife and I.

Our children were overwhelmed at the variety of fun activities on Dominica and can't wait to return. Whether you are happy staying at Secret Bay and enjoying their kayaks, paddle board, snorkeling right off the beach, or exploring the Secret Cave or you are more adventurous you will be happy at Secret Bay. Our family loves to travel together sharing new adventures and exposing our children to other countries and cultures.

We went canyoning with Extreme Dominica which was a three hour trip of repelling and jumping through a beautiful canyon with crystal clear water through the tropical rain forest. The kids went horseback riding with Linten from Brandy Manor through the rainforest while my wife and I took a strenuous two hour hike through the pristine rain forest right from the stables. Two of our kids have never been on horses and were completely comfortable with the two hour ride. They will adjust the ride to the level of experience as needed. Afterwards, we all swam in the river which runs right behind Brandy Manor.

We also went scuba diving with Cabrits Dive Shop which was a great experience. We hiked to several waterfalls and soaked in natural hot springs. The kid's took the trip up Indian River with Fire, while my wife and I took a much needed relaxing afternoon on the deck of Zabuco.

We also visited Marie Frederick's Indigo Gallery with our entire family which is another great experience arranged by Secret Bay. Marie's house and gallery is a charming artist retreat and you are greeted by Marie with a platter of cookies, fresh fruit picked from her yard, and coffee or traditional Dominican Cocoa Tea which is similar to hot chocolate. Marie is French and has lived in Dominica for twenty years. She has a unique style which is both French and Caribbean. We had arranged for our artistic 16 year old daughter to have an art lesson with Marie after our visit while we returned to Secret Bay. Our daughter Claire loved Marie and while Marie gave Claire tips on the two wonderful pieces she painted, Marie painted a spectacular picture of Claire at the easel painting which we were able to purchase from Marie. We had to drag Claire away from Indigo as her and Marie promised to stay in touch and share their artistic creations with each other via the internet. Check out mariefrederickgallery.com

I could go on about the wonderful destination that Gregor and Sandra Nassief have created on Dominica and how wonderful the staff is, but you have all read that in past reviews. This review is to assure the parents out there that enjoy traveling with their children, that Secret Bay and Dominica is not a destination to be missed! Memories last a lifetime!

Trip type: Traveled with family