“A Return to Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portsmouth
St. Catharines, Canada
“A Return to Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

My wife and returned recently for our third visit to Secret Bay. Having been to dozens of higher end resorts over the years, this is the only resort that is so clearly superior that we rate it as the one "irresistible" choice to which to return year after year.

You will not be better taken care of, arrival to departure, anywhere in the world.While at Secret Bay attentive staff will do all they can to anticipate and satisfy every wish. Customize your chef-prepared meals to your liking, and enjoy them at your villa.

Look out over the Caribbean from your cliff-top luxury villa - the latest in technological convenience built into an eco-conscious structure integrated gently into the local environment.

This will be the second home for a very few, very lucky, travellers for years to come.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

We absolutely love Secret Bay! We have been to 26 islands and stayed at many 5 star accommodations in the $800-$900/day range and Secret Bay is by far the best of all. Zabuco Honeymoon Villa is the most luxurious room we have ever stayed in. Truly million dollar views. We were surprised with rainbows almost every day. Having each meal whatever we dreamed of and brought to us was wonderful. No stress, no dress up, delicious and totally romantic. From what we saw of the beaches on Dominica, Secret Bay Beach has the clearest water and has very soft sand. Has to be #1 beach on the island. If you do nothing else off property take the private tour with Dr. Birdy to the Syndicate Nature Preserve. It is an unforgettable experience. Thank you Anna, Gregor, Saralee and the whole Secret Bay Staff for making our 20th Anniversary incredibly special! Chuck & Sue, Tampa FL

Room Tip: The Villas are the most private but any room on the property is great.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Waynesboro, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

We went for our honeymoon and it was well worth every penny. I felt like I was in heaven. The views, the accommodations, the fresh organic juices, local food and fresh caught fish all cooked to perfection, the personal service is everything one could dream of. Even though our stay was in August we never needed air conditioning as the Zabuco villa on the bluff was quite comfortable with a natural cooling breeze. The resort location, plants, walkways and buildings are all designed to reflect nature and preserve the natural setting. We learned so much about local fare, plants and health. Each service person treated us like royalty yet personally cared for us like family. One afternoon we hosted local friends and the extra food and service required to arrange this was exceptional. We were guided by the owners wife to swim through the cave. Anna was our personal travel agent as we needed to make several changes to our flight schedule. She worked endlessly for our benefit and gave us extra time at a bungalow to rest and a meal without charge when we were unexpectedly delayed. We took a few trips to see the Island and glad we did but we really didn't went to leave Secret Bay as we were so comfortable just relaxing there. We definitely want to go there again and stay as long as possible!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LABS2013
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

During our engagement, I told my wife I would plan the whole honeymoon and surprise her with it. She didn't know where we were going until we were on our final plane getting ready to land in Dominica...

but let me back up for a second. I told her I'd surprise her without having any idea where we'd go for our honeymoon. I used to live in Costa Rica, I've traveled to Belize, Hawaii, Peru & China. I've been to some beautiful places. And my wife has been all over Europe and Mexico - again we had a high bar set when picking a honeymoon destination. Very high bar.

Fate came in and I found Dominica in a random travel magazine. Not just Dominica - the magazine featured Secret Bay.

I read about it and went over to Secret Bay's website and I was hooked! We only get one honeymoon and this island and hotel exceeded our expectations. It was the trip of a lifetime.

At Secret Bay, we loved the bungalow, the food catered to whatever we desired, the mountain bikes to ride all over, and the kayaks to shuttle ourselves over to a secret beach and cave. We couldn't believe that we got our own personal attendant to cater to all our wants. We honestly aren't used to this and didn't ask for much. But the idea of having someone there to help us with anything was awesome.

After traveling all over the world and staying in many different places, it's a high expectation - and my wife and I can't recommend Secret Bay (and Dominca) enough.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Me and my husband selected Secret Bay for our honeymoon and I must say.... WE DID GOOD. The first night we stayed at the bungalows. They are very cozy and dinner was ready (we let them know what we wanted days before) the next We were moved to the honeymoon suites. Let me say that these suites are top notch in terms of modern furniture, accommodation and everything you always wanted. Our own infinity pool, beautiful modern kitchen, a romantic bathtub and a double shower. The are no menus so YOU CAN EAT ANYTHING YOU WANT... I mean from scammed eggs, fresh fruits, to fish, curry chicken, ice cream and I can go one. We met the resort chef and thanked him for cooking so delicious. The resort assigns you someone who will be your host for the entire stay. She will come, make you breakfast, attend to your needs and be very very sweet about it. They give you cell phones also and you can call them or make locals calls which was awesome!!! Anastasia who is like the hotel manager was a delight. She was there of us And will come and check to see if we were doing fine. The pool is heated and it was so nice to just watch the nature while sipping wine.

Dominica is a beautiful place and staying at this place made it so much better. Before we left we met the owner who is so humble. This is a 5 star resort.... Is our dream come true and we can't wait to be back. Thanks Anastasia and your staff for treating us like a queen and king...

Room Tip: Choose the honeymoon suite.. Is perfect for couples!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alanyspr
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at Secret Bay in September, we both love to travel and had seen Secret Bay listed on Travel & Leisure's website and decided to splurge for our honeymoon. I've traveled quite a bit, enjoy going to non-touristy areas and this was the best place I have been. I cannot say enough about how much we loved it, we stayed in the original Zubacco Villa and honestly only left the property once because it was so amazing! It's like staying in a spa for a week, the accommodations are amazing and the pool is fabulous. I've never seen stars like I did at night when floating in the pool, it was breath taking. Our attendant Rosaline was great, she was friendly and just a call away on the cell phone they give you-my husband had a cold the first few days and she brought ginger tea for him without us even asking for anything. Everyone there is so thoughtful!
Ana was a delight, she gave us a wonderful welcome when we arrived after a long day of travel and was helpful in answering all our questions. Also, my husband likes cigars and asked about a cigar shop nearby. Next thing you know, she had contacted one of the shops, emails us a list of options and purchased the ones my husband selected. She just added the cost right to our bill-so convenient and as I mentioned-loved not even having to leave to go into town!
Secret Bay is truly a gem, please don't hesitate to message me with any questions about the property!

Room Tip: Zubacco Villa has the most amazing view & is worth the money! Zing-zing is nice, but you have m...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

This is not your typical Caribbean. It's unlike any Caribbean trip I've ever taken and I've been on many. Secret Bay sets the bar high in Dominica from their tree-house-like breathtaking villas to a level of service and hospitality that eclipses the best resort where you have ever stayed. Secret Bay's core is built on privacy, luxury, customer service and customer experience. Each unit has it's own amenities like a pool or hot tub, hammock and fully stocked kitchen. There is no restaurant. The chef at the Souce Shack creates all meals to your wishes and then your attendant delivers them to your villa. The attention to detail from the owner, Gregor, and Anna (Resort Manager) was meticulous. Before you ever arrive and through your departure, you are very well taken care of with kid gloves.

The accommodations are insanely beautiful and amazingly well made with architecture design by the famous architect Fruto Vivas. There are four villas and two bungalows on the property with all similar state of the art furnishings and each with very distinctive romantic views of the Caribbean. Some villas are perched on a cliff and one is set into the rainforest (Zing Zing). They all have accordion glass doors that completely open up to the sea. Bugs are not a problem, unlike other islands, and you can leave your doors open all day. The resort is very safe, so you don't really ever need to lock up your villa. The staff is very attentive and trusting and will feel like part of your family when you leave. Our attendant, Sara Lee, was very sweet, helpful and really added to your overall experience.

I was very impressed by the technology in the villas and on the property. Wi Fi is fast and reliable which is huge for me, and not typical at other Caribbean resorts. The satellite for TV is also great with most American networks available and flawless reception. The air condition system is comfortable and reliable. The fully stocked kitchen and bathrooms are top notch and the hard wood floors are beautiful. All in all, the most overall luxurious accommodations I've ever seen in the Caribbean.

The dining experience is tremendous. You pick whatever you want from fresh fish or lobster to BBQ ribs or gluten free pizza. Chef Eric made me some of the best "fall of the bone" ribs I've ever had in my life. I'm from Texas...I know BBQ! There is no menu-- you call it. "Whatever you want" is their motto. Same with drinks...ask whatever and you'll get it. Go meet Jemma in the Souce Shack and ask her for the special iced tea/vodka combo. The Rum punch is addicting and, island natives say, an island aphrodisiac. Jemma is wise and great in the kitchen. We frequently allowed her to select our meals for us and we were never disappointed.

Nature freaks will be in heaven with the lush surroundings. It can go from blazing sun to a 5 minute hard rain every 20 minutes some days. You definitely get the rainforest experience. Everywhere you look is a postcard waiting to happen. There are kayaks, paddle boards and two beaches. One of the beaches you can only access by kayak and when you get over there (2 min) you feel like you are on the tv show, Survivor. There is a large arch you can snorkel through, a hidden underwater cave and stunning cliff rock formations.

Secret Bay is on the cover of Travel & Leisure for a reason. It's truly a unique vacation with the highest level of customer service and luxury available in the Caribbean. I won't publish the name here, but there was a certain major female rock star that refused to leave because it is so incredible... even to the point of offering to buy the entire resort. I think we are all lucky that did not happen.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Pagua Bay House Oceanfront Cabanas
Calibishie Cove
Calibishie Cove
#1 of 3 in Calibishie
The Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Secret Bay? Share your experiences!