All reviews zing zing zabuco villa our honeymoon private beach the indian river villa attendant plantain chips personal attendant natural beauty lion fish ylang ylang rum punch ti fey sunset sail middleham falls scuba diving year anniversary
Reviewed December 27, 2013

During our engagement, I told my wife I would plan the whole honeymoon and surprise her with it. She didn't know where we were going until we were on our final plane getting ready to land in Dominica...

but let me back up for a second. I told her I'd surprise her without having any idea where we'd go for our honeymoon. I used to live in Costa Rica, I've traveled to Belize, Hawaii, Peru & China. I've been to some beautiful places. And my wife has been all over Europe and Mexico - again we had a high bar set when picking a honeymoon destination. Very high bar.

Fate came in and I found Dominica in a random travel magazine. Not just Dominica - the magazine featured Secret Bay.

I read about it and went over to Secret Bay's website and I was hooked! We only get one honeymoon and this island and hotel exceeded our expectations. It was the trip of a lifetime.

At Secret Bay, we loved the bungalow, the food catered to whatever we desired, the mountain bikes to ride all over, and the kayaks to shuttle ourselves over to a secret beach and cave. We couldn't believe that we got our own personal attendant to cater to all our wants. We honestly aren't used to this and didn't ask for much. But the idea of having someone there to help us with anything was awesome.

After traveling all over the world and staying in many different places, it's a high expectation - and my wife and I can't recommend Secret Bay (and Dominca) enough.

Date of stay: October 2013
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Me and my husband selected Secret Bay for our honeymoon and I must say.... WE DID GOOD. The first night we stayed at the bungalows. They are very cozy and dinner was ready (we let them know what we wanted days before) the next We were moved to the honeymoon suites. Let me say that these suites are top notch in terms of modern furniture, accommodation and everything you always wanted. Our own infinity pool, beautiful modern kitchen, a romantic bathtub and a double shower. The are no menus so YOU CAN EAT ANYTHING YOU WANT... I mean from scammed eggs, fresh fruits, to fish, curry chicken, ice cream and I can go one. We met the resort chef and thanked him for cooking so delicious. The resort assigns you someone who will be your host for the entire stay. She will come, make you breakfast, attend to your needs and be very very sweet about it. They give you cell phones also and you can call them or make locals calls which was awesome!!! Anastasia who is like the hotel manager was a delight. She was there of us And will come and check to see if we were doing fine. The pool is heated and it was so nice to just watch the nature while sipping wine.

Dominica is a beautiful place and staying at this place made it so much better. Before we left we met the owner who is so humble. This is a 5 star resort.... Is our dream come true and we can't wait to be back. Thanks Anastasia and your staff for treating us like a queen and king...

Room tip: Choose the honeymoon suite.. Is perfect for couples!
Date of stay: September 2013
2  Thank Alanyspr
Reviewed December 23, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at Secret Bay in September, we both love to travel and had seen Secret Bay listed on Travel & Leisure's website and decided to splurge for our honeymoon. I've traveled quite a bit, enjoy going to non-touristy areas and this was the best place I have been. I cannot say enough about how much we loved it, we stayed in the original Zubacco Villa and honestly only left the property once because it was so amazing! It's like staying in a spa for a week, the accommodations are amazing and the pool is fabulous. I've never seen stars like I did at night when floating in the pool, it was breath taking. Our attendant Rosaline was great, she was friendly and just a call away on the cell phone they give you-my husband had a cold the first few days and she brought ginger tea for him without us even asking for anything. Everyone there is so thoughtful!
Ana was a delight, she gave us a wonderful welcome when we arrived after a long day of travel and was helpful in answering all our questions. Also, my husband likes cigars and asked about a cigar shop nearby. Next thing you know, she had contacted one of the shops, emails us a list of options and purchased the ones my husband selected. She just added the cost right to our bill-so convenient and as I mentioned-loved not even having to leave to go into town!
Secret Bay is truly a gem, please don't hesitate to message me with any questions about the property!

Room tip: Zubacco Villa has the most amazing view & is worth the money! Zing-zing is nice, but you have more of a forest-view with a small view of the water.
Date of stay: September 2013
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

This is not your typical Caribbean. It's unlike any Caribbean trip I've ever taken and I've been on many. Secret Bay sets the bar high in Dominica from their tree-house-like breathtaking villas to a level of service and hospitality that eclipses the best resort where you have ever stayed. Secret Bay's core is built on privacy, luxury, customer service and customer experience. Each unit has it's own amenities like a pool or hot tub, hammock and fully stocked kitchen. There is no restaurant. The chef at the Souce Shack creates all meals to your wishes and then your attendant delivers them to your villa. The attention to detail from the owner, Gregor, and Anna (Resort Manager) was meticulous. Before you ever arrive and through your departure, you are very well taken care of with kid gloves.

The accommodations are insanely beautiful and amazingly well made with architecture design by the famous architect Fruto Vivas. There are four villas and two bungalows on the property with all similar state of the art furnishings and each with very distinctive romantic views of the Caribbean. Some villas are perched on a cliff and one is set into the rainforest (Zing Zing). They all have accordion glass doors that completely open up to the sea. Bugs are not a problem, unlike other islands, and you can leave your doors open all day. The resort is very safe, so you don't really ever need to lock up your villa. The staff is very attentive and trusting and will feel like part of your family when you leave. Our attendant, Sara Lee, was very sweet, helpful and really added to your overall experience.

I was very impressed by the technology in the villas and on the property. Wi Fi is fast and reliable which is huge for me, and not typical at other Caribbean resorts. The satellite for TV is also great with most American networks available and flawless reception. The air condition system is comfortable and reliable. The fully stocked kitchen and bathrooms are top notch and the hard wood floors are beautiful. All in all, the most overall luxurious accommodations I've ever seen in the Caribbean.

The dining experience is tremendous. You pick whatever you want from fresh fish or lobster to BBQ ribs or gluten free pizza. Chef Eric made me some of the best "fall of the bone" ribs I've ever had in my life. I'm from Texas...I know BBQ! There is no menu-- you call it. "Whatever you want" is their motto. Same with drinks...ask whatever and you'll get it. Go meet Jemma in the Souce Shack and ask her for the special iced tea/vodka combo. The Rum punch is addicting and, island natives say, an island aphrodisiac. Jemma is wise and great in the kitchen. We frequently allowed her to select our meals for us and we were never disappointed.

Nature freaks will be in heaven with the lush surroundings. It can go from blazing sun to a 5 minute hard rain every 20 minutes some days. You definitely get the rainforest experience. Everywhere you look is a postcard waiting to happen. There are kayaks, paddle boards and two beaches. One of the beaches you can only access by kayak and when you get over there (2 min) you feel like you are on the tv show, Survivor. There is a large arch you can snorkel through, a hidden underwater cave and stunning cliff rock formations.

Secret Bay is on the cover of Travel & Leisure for a reason. It's truly a unique vacation with the highest level of customer service and luxury available in the Caribbean. I won't publish the name here, but there was a certain major female rock star that refused to leave because it is so incredible... even to the point of offering to buy the entire resort. I think we are all lucky that did not happen.

Date of stay: December 2013
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Secret Bay the week before Christmas 2013. We knew very little about Dominica, but read the reviews for Secret Bay and booked our flights. Believe the reviews! This place is amazing! Beautiful natural property, gorgeous architecture, and superb service. We loved kayaking to Secret Beach and hiking the water falls, but mostly enjoyed the sounds of the rain Forest while relaxing and enjoying the views from our villa, Zing Zing. Also loved my daily trips down to the Souce Shack to visit with Jemma, the cook, and quiz her about all the local yummy foods. All her meals are amazing. And yes, you can eat lobster every meal if you desire! Sara Lee, our attendant, was absolutely delightful. We even had the pleasure if meeting the owner, Gregor. What a brilliant man to have such a perfect vision for a resort on the island where he grew up.

Date of stay: December 2013