“Pure Heaven!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portsmouth
Melbourne, Florida
“Pure Heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

I was researching honeymoon destinations two years before we even got engaged. This trip was so important to me. I stumbled across Secret Bay during one of my many web searches and kept coming back to it, over and over. I decided in the end, our chances of any sort of disappointment were by far the lowest if we chose Secret Bay. All the previous reviews are absolutely spot on. We wanted a place with no crowds, no loud children, no buffet lines...just peaceful relaxation and each other. I could not be any happier with our decision. It was absolutely heaven. We stayed in the original Zabucco and it is unlike anything we have ever experienced! Stunning in every way. Our attendant for most of our stay was Roseline and she was just wonderful, such a sweetheart and so committed to making our stay perfect. Britney was also great. The whole operation at Secret Bay is practically flawless. There is nothing they didn't think of, from dry bags for the kayaks, to beach picnic blankets, to binoculars for taking in the incredible scenery. And the FOOD! I cannot say enough about the food, literally everything we ate was amazing, and the presentation was beautiful. We ate like royalty and I couldn't believe how low our bill was! Gemma will make you some incredible drinks down at the Souce Shack too. Anna was so fantastic, from our first communication weeks before our arrival, she arranged everything and made it so easy. The river trip with Fire is a can't miss experience! So fun. Our favorite thing to do, besides relaxing in the incredible Zabucco, was kayaking to Secret Beach and just hanging out in the beautiful water. It is straight out of a movie, just stunning. We were also able to experience the sunset sail with Captain Mark which was amazing, the best snorkeling I've ever seen! Even if you don't do any excursions, you will still have the trip of a lifetime. I miss our special hideaway every single day, but I am so grateful for this unbelievable experience. There is absolutely nowhere on earth like Secret Bay. Worth every single penny!! Thank you so much!!

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

My wife and I had endlessly researched potential destinations for our honeymoon. We even solicited the assistance of a travel agent (yes, somehow that is still a profession), but ultimately found Secret Bay on our own.

Finally, our search was over…

We stumbled upon this small resort, on a beautiful island that we had never heard of, and we knew instantly that it was the only place we wanted to go for our honeymoon.

From the moment we arrived we were greeted with a warmth and kindness that set the tone for our entire stay. We stayed ten nights in the Zabucco III villa, and it was nothing short of amazing.

The staff was delighted to make sure we had everything we needed to make our stay an experience we will never forget.

The island is absolutely beautiful everywhere you look.

You will want for nothing. The staff will make you feel like family, and the five star accommodations will make you want to “lose” your passport so you never have to leave.

Anna and the staff work tirelessly to make your stay a unique experience that is tailored to your wants/needs. They handle it all. From massages and private yoga classes right on your deck, to guided hikes, snorkeling, kayaking, scuba diving, and pretty much anything else you would want to do.

The food is excellent, and the private chef experience is just another personal touch that makes Secret Bay such an amazing place to visit.

If you’ve searched as much as we did, you are probably thinking “I don’t even care anymore. Let’s just go anywhere. I’m sure we will have a good time on any of these islands”… While there may be some truth to those thoughts, be happy that you did not settle, because all that searching has led you to Secret Bay.

I could go into painfully boring detail about all the wonderful things we experienced, but will leave you with this.

This is truly, the trip of a lifetime. I recommend Secret Bay to anyone that will listen. I can’t say enough good things about every aspect of our stay. You will be amazed. There is nowhere like it.

Room Tip: There is not a bad villa on the resort, but Zabucco I or III have the best views and most privacy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

My wife and I are sadly coming to the end of our six night stay at Secret Bay. It is a wonderful place, with a finely tuned focus on personal service and a location to be envied.

The resort is currently comprised of four spectacular and amazing villas as well as two much smaller, two floor bungalows. Each of the units are very well appointed. The difference in size between the bungalows and villas is almost order of magnitude. The quality of the villas rival that of anything to be found... anywhere... and they include kitchens, private decks, and plunge pools. It is a wonder that anyone ever leaves their villas.

This is one of those perfect honeymoon destinations.

If you do leave your villa or bungalow, there are some pretty nice things to do. The sea is super-calm in the area, and you can snorkel, stand-up-paddle, swim, or kayak to either the super secret and quiet Secret Beach, or to coconut beach. The snorkeling is very nice right at the resort, and the sea cave is fun to explore, too. There is also a sunset and meditation deck here, that are great for reading, meditating, yoga, or enjoying the great views.

The place is quiet, although once in a while you can hear music coming from Portsmouth, mixing with the ever-present sounds of the sea.

There is no restaurant per say, although the cooking is done at the Souce Shack, and is heavenly. Although each unit has its own kitchen, and Secret Bay stocks that kitchen according to your specifications, most of the cooking is done at Souce and brought to you in your room. And the food is to die for. To. Die. For. The vegetarian food (my wife is vegetarian) is great. I loved the lobster, the beef, the chicken. The Calaloo soup was indescribably good. You can also have the food at the Souce shack or elsewhere on the resort.

The thing that stands Secret Bay further apart from other experiences is its level of personal service. Each unit has an attendant who sees your room is cleaned, that groceries are delivered to the room, brings your dinner orders to you, etc. Our attendant was Roseline, and she is a very kind and conscientious lady who took very good care of us indeed. The other resort personnel work hard to help you with whatever you want. This included getting us bikes for a ride to Fort Shirley (they have bikes at Secret Bay), arranging transportation to end points on the National Trail, taking us to the sea cave for the first time (thanks Vincent), or getting your sea toys ready. The people at Secret Bay make everything easy. So easy that I think I may have difficulty transitioning back to normal life where I am not treated as if I am royalty.

Room Tip: The bungalows only have queen beds, so if you want a king sized bed, go for the villas, which are re...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lee H
Barbados
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We have just returned from our 3rd visit to Secret Bay. From the time we arrive there, we feel like we have come "home"! The staff there know us now and treat us like family which is a wonderful feeling. We stayed in Zabucco II this time and all I can say is "wow" what an amazing villa! It was a hard toss up for us as to whether to stay in the bungalow again or try the villa as I thought that the extra space would not make it as homey as the bungalows but I was wrong! I loved just sitting on the terrace staring across the bay to Fort Shirley every morning with a cup of coffee and in the evening with my glass of red wine, with freshly made hummus and plantain chips made right on property. The views are just incredible and mesmerising! Sitting on the villa pool terrace and soaking in the pool was also a favourite past time. The water is temperature controlled so it isn't freezing which is a huge plus for me!!

This year we had Deslyn as our attendant, she is the sweetest girl and nothing is too much for her to do when you ask!

All in all, we would recommend Secret Bay 100% and we can't wait to get back there, actually we wish we were still there! :) Keep up the good work everyone there!!

Room Tip: Any room/villa there is amazing, you can't go wrong!
1 Thank Bimgirl
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

My wife and I just returned from her birthday trip to Dominica, and it was the best vacation we have had. We were lucky enough to stay in Secret Bay, in the Zabuco II honeymoon villa, the best place on the island to relax and enjoy this tropical paradise.
We felt pampered from the moment we were picked up at the Melville Hall airport by Benny. Anna greeted us and took us to our villa, and arranged everything we needed to have a wonderful time - our hike with Bertrand Jon Baptiste (Dr. Birdy) through the Syndicate Rainforest, our day with Patrick to Roseau to shop, see the botanical gardens and a whale-watching boat ride, our sightseeing trip to Portsmouth, and our painting of the Sisserou parrot by Aaron Hamilton. Seralee and Deslyn made us comfortable every day, and Gemma and Josie made sure we had some of the best meals ever.
The website photos do not do Secret Bay justice, you really must experience it in person. Believe the other positive reviews, this place is amazing. Nowhere that I have stayed before made me say "Wow" upon walking in the door.
When I returned home, I was not surprised to read that Secret Bay was on the cover of T&L magazine, they have earned every good word written about them, you can really feel the commitment they have made to being the best.
My wife and I like to try new places, to go where we have never been, but Secret Bay is making us want to return to Dominica, soon.

Room Tip: The Zabuco villas are wonderful, however I cannot imagine a bad stay at Secret Bay, regardless of yo...
Mississauga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

If there is anything better than perfection then that is how we would describe our vacation! Right from being picked up at the airport after a long day of travel to the very warm welcome from Anna and the staff when we arrived at Secret Bay. We stayed in Zabuco III ...WOW ... we thought the pictures were amazing, it is even better, if that is possible. Anything we needed was just a phone call away. Our kitchen was stocked with fruit and fruit juices which were so fresh. The homemade yogurt and granola was simply awesome ... A must have! The food was exceptional and exceeded our expectations, everything from shrimp, lobster, lion fish and the best salads ever with a passion fruit dressing. A phone call to security and they would get a kayak ready for us to take out into the bay. It was a very relaxing vacation and a great place to take time to just reconnect, either sitting by the pool listening to the local radio stations, going for a swim or sitting on the deck watching movies on a rainy day ... Thank you to everyone at Secret Bay!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa V
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed in the Zabuco Villa at Secret Bay for our Honeymoon. I must say that, due to the glowing reviews Secret Bay has received, our expectations were very high going in. We were not disappointed. Anna, our attendant Deslyn, our chef Gemma, our maintenance man/guide/jack-of-all-trades Vincent and all the other Secret Bay staff always went above and beyond to make our week at the resort truly an experience to remember. Secret Bay truly is a Caribbean gem and a one-of-a-kind destination that we will never forget. From the food to the tours (ask for Ryan as your guide...he was easily the best driver/tour guide either of us had ever had) to the ambiance and the natural beauty of the location, and the island as a whole, Secret Bay is a must-visit if you venture to the Nature Island of Dominica!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Pagua Bay House Oceanfront Cabanas
Calibishie Cove
Calibishie Cove
#1 of 3 in Calibishie
The Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Secret Bay? Share your experiences!