Since Secret Bay opened, I knew that was where I wanted to celebrate my 50th birthday. A place to get away from the hectic daily schedule that is my life - a place where I could be waited on hand and foot!
LIAT- the airline I now love, was on time. Pure joy! On landing, we were greeted by our very pleasant driver, Kenny who gave us cold towels and ice cold bottled water to sustain us on our one hour drive from the airport, through the beautiful Nature Isle of the Caribbean to the even more stunning Secret Bay. It's better than Facebook says it is.
All of the staff were amazingly hospitable - we were welcomed warmly on arrival and shown to our rooms- given a tour of our accommodation - the beautiful Mapou bungalow- and our kitchen was stocked already with every request made- coconut water, fresh juices, homemade coconut ice-cream, plantain chips, homemade granola and yoghurt etc etc. All very delicious.
Our first lunch menu- thick delicious plantain chips, salad and the very best shrimp...EVER- really, the very very best shrimp, followed by a chocolate avocado mouse with banana for dessert. We shared this with two lizards and a bird with a red feathered neck. Deslyn , our attendant, and Marvin, the manager, took care of our every need.
The view from the balcony was truly amazing- a lovely space to read, chat and reflect. We had cocktails on the sunset deck, good reflexology on the meditation deck and a wonderful massage in the room. We kayaked across the bay and relaxed on the black sand beach.
We ate, and drank and ate some more. I really appreciated all the attention to detail- the design of the bungalows is amazing and everything in the bungalow- the fixtures, appliances, the decor, provision of good reading material- everything is thoughtful, sophisticated and elegant.
I could not have asked for better service, better food or a more beautiful place to celebrate being on this amazing earth for a half century. Well done, Secret Bay, for providing excellent service in a stunning environment. Two thumbs up!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the unspoilt nature island of Dominica, Secret Bay offers sustainable luxury villas and bungalows and is the perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or the secluded holiday of a lifetime. Situated on a cliff-top overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay is unique in its diversity: two beaches, the magical Cario River, a spectacular sea cave and two distinct micro-climates. Secret Bay is becoming known as one of the best boutique resorts in the Caribbean - and indeed the world - for honeymoons, anniversaries, small family escapes and adventure vacations. In 2013 Secret Bay was chosen as the number one luxury resort in Caribbean by Islands Magazine; and its Zabuco Honeymoon Villa was voted as having the 3rd sexiest bedroom in the world at the Smiths Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, MrandMrsSmith, Agoda, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Secret Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Bay Hotel Portsmouth
- Secret Bay Dominica/Portsmouth