“The Honeymoon of our Dreams!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Secret Bay

Secret Bay
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portsmouth
Richmond, Virginia
“The Honeymoon of our Dreams!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Secret Bay is simply amazing! I scoped this resort out for months after my husband decided Dominica would be the best place for us to honeymoon. As soon as I saw that we would have our own bungalow AND personal chef service I was hooked and it wasn't hard to sell my husband on it either! To be honest we were both way more excited for this trip to Secret Bay than we were the actual wedding! Haha. Secret Bay fits in well with the beauty of Dominica. We loved the fact that it is a small resort because we felt almost as if we were on our own deserted island. We appreciated the feeling of privacy that Secret Bay offered. We spent a week in Mapou Bungalow and dreaded having to leave. The deck offered us many evenings to sit and listen to the waves, make friends with the geckos and birds, and just relax. We were provided a cell phone to be able to contact staff any time of the day. Our personal attendants Bianca, Deslyn, and Saralee were such sweethearts! Always smiling and always there to answer any questions we had or get us anything we needed. Anna, the guest services manager, was a life saver. From helping us book our stay at Secret Bay, to scheduling our excursions and activities, and checking on us regularly to make sure we were happy, Anna hands down made our experience even better. Aside from the staff, the food was our next favorite thing. The personal chef service is amazing! Our attendant asked us in the morning what we wanted for lunch and dinner and what time we'd like each meal and the rest was pure bliss. Creole chicken and pumpkin rice, curried goat, BBQ ribs, grilled chicken salad, grilled fish and yam pie, MANGO COBBLER (oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh so DELICIOUS), banana brownies....I'm drooling just trying to think of everything we stuffed our faces with.

We also had the opportunity to meet Gregor, the owner. He was extremely friendly and took the time to talk with us and get some feedback. He suggested we go on the Indian River Tour and we were so glad we did!

Everything about Secret Bay was just overwhelmingly amazing. We've never stayed at any hotel or resort where we had absolutely NO complaints, where every staff member was equally attentive and kind, and where the accommodations made us wish we could take everything home with us!

My husband and I are already trying to figure out when we will be able to make it back to Secret Bay. It will hopefully be sometime really really soon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Monique_Kimani

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for our recent honeymoon in July (Rainy season, but didn't really affect us much) and we absolutely LOVED every second of being there. From the courteous/attentive staff, to the gourmet organic meals, to the breathtaking views where ever you turned; this place exceeded our expectations. We stayed in the Zambuco honeymoon villa and rarely found ourselves feeling the need to leave! (we had our own infinity pool, exclusive views/sunset deck, and every amenity at our request. The grounds themselves consist of about 6 villas (with another being built) and private beaches situated on either side that require you to kayak to get too. Secret Beach was our favorite and we found the most beautiful/private with tropical fish swimming around you. (Not far and everything needed was provided). We even had lunch delivered to us on the private beach one day via kayak. Every meal was to gourmet standards and they make a MEAN bottle of Rum Punch (I ordered at least one a day!). Anna and the staff will do everything to make your stay exceptional. A tropical storm passed through and kept us in one day and the owner walked around to hand deliver bottles of wine and chocolate to help us pass the time! Booking excursions are just as simple and you'll be comforted to know that Secret Bay only work with people/companies that they trust will treat their guests as if they were with you supervising them. All in all, this place was amazing. The food was amazing. The people were amazing and our honeymoon/experience was amazing. My wife and I left already thinking about when the next time we could return. We stayed for 7 days and by the time we left, we hugged Anna and the staff who served us directly, as we felt part of the family. WORTH EVERY PENNY!

Room Tip: The Zambuco Honeymoon Villa is AMAZING!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Great place with wonderful people that takes care of any needs you could have. Everybody in Secret Bay´s staff was into making our experience the best one it could be.

The Zing-Zing villa was an upgrade we got for our honeymoon and it was a wonderfull place that we wish we could have stayed longer. There is everything you could ever need, a very luxury place, quiet, private and with great food at any time you want to.

Room Tip: Zing-Zing was great for our honeymoon. The view is not the best of all the villas there are but you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Madison, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for our 10-year anniversary. The accommodations were wonderful, and the food was amazing, but what made it stick out among all vacations was the staff. I've stayed other places in the Caribbean where my either my plans were impacted by "island time" or I had to double or triple-check to keep things running. As Secret Bay, I could simply hand everything over to Anna. My wife and I would mention an activity, Anna would list a few choices, we would pick and she would make it happen. It was wonderful.

Room Tip: Plan early. More buildings are under construction, but we made reservations 9 months in advance and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Barbados
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Secret Bay is a holiday like no other. The resort is a dream for any nature lover...and the perfect romantic hideaway! The staff are all very friendly - Anna seems to be always on call; and everyone will offer advice to ensure you enjoy your stay and experience the best of Dominica. Privacy is great - most of the time we felt as though we were the only guests, even though the resort was fully booked. Loved having our meals each evening on the terrace of our bungalow, with the spectacular view over the bay and towards Portsmouth. One of the best holidays I have ever had...looking forward to another visit.

Room Tip: Each bungalow is unique but the furthest ones from the main building offer the best views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Msam19
Mount Vernon, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I recently visited Secret Bay for our 25th wedding anniversary. We have traveled all over the world and this is a resort like no other! We knew by the photos and reviews it would be great, but it exceeded our expectations! You have to experience it to believe it! The service and hospitality the staff provided was second to none, and the food was outstanding! Before we arrived, we thought we might eat at the resort a few times and then sample some restaurants the rest of the week. After the first meal, we were hooked and never ate anywhere else. Jemer and Josie are TOP NOTCH cooks! Everything was fresh, organic and prepared to our liking! We went spear fishing one day and Jemer prepared our lion fish in her special beer batter! It is better than grouper!!! They also prepared our fresh caught lobster and tuna. And did I mention cocktails? The passion fruit rum punch is Out of this world! There is so much to do in Dominica and Anna will take care of everything for you! It is truly a special and beautiful place!

Room Tip: There is not a bad room!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank galtravel1
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I went on our honeymoon to Secret Bay. The reviews say it all, but I want to stress one thing. The staff truly have servants hearts. They genuinely want to serve you and make your stay a blessing. The resort and island are truly beautiful places, but the staff is what was truly beautiful to me.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paul001_13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Pagua Bay House Oceanfront Cabanas
Calibishie Cove
Calibishie Cove
#1 of 3 in Calibishie
The Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Secret Bay? Share your experiences!