We took a leap. And can't wait to do it again. Admittedly, we usually look for a Four Seasons when we need to escape from the real world. But lucky for us, I stumbled upon this Secret on Gallivant.com. Regardless of how we discovered it, this place is special. For a Caribbean island, it's mountainous, tropical, rich w/ volcanic soil and covered in rainforest. Reminded me of Maui a bit. Everything and anything grows here. For nature fans, bird watchers and fruit lovers, it's truly fascinating as a destination. Even better, the climate was remarkably pleasant. Breezy, mid 80s with refreshing rains here and there, chased by rainbows.
Sounds ridiculous, right? There's more.
The architecture, finish and fixtures were flawless. Concrete and tropical hardwoods. Dominica grown and crafted furnishings. Decks with accordion doors. Positioned on a cliff with views you won't believe. From the kitchen, the deck, the pool, even the shower. So I must admit, even though it wasn't our honeymoon, for seven days, we didn't leave the property unless it was on a kayak. Next time, we'll bring scuba gear and make ourselves journey up the Indian River, hike and see one of only two boiling lakes on the planet.
Our daily routine. We made breakfast ourselves most days, then ordered lunch and dinner from our own personal attendants. Great salads. Highly recommend the Paw Paw. Every evening, fresh fish or lobster prepared at the Souce Shack and served at sunset. We went for the lobster every other night prepared different ways—curry/ginger/chili, garlic/herb, chef's choice. In villa, they stocked us up with the best local pineapples, bananas and mangos. Dominica coffee, juices, granola and chips. Wines and rum, too.
The staff. Rosaline was the sweetest, humble, most hard-working attendant. She made us smile daily. And on my birthday, along with the surprise cake, she sang to me. SHE SANG! It was so genuine and kind, I won't soon forget it. Don't expect a fancy bar or resort scene down at the Souce Shack. But we loved visiting with Jemma, Josie and Eric. Real people sharing fun stories, casual conversation and some wicked rum punch. Just ask for it. It's back there. Drink it neat and your afternoon will soon get fuzzy.
And finally, as many other folks mentioned, Gregor stopped by for a visit during our evening porch domino tournament. He was fascinating, gracious and welcoming. Keep it going, Gregor. The vision you and Sandra have is truly amazing and we wish you all the best. So sorry we missed meeting the entire family. An early flight had us retiring ahead of schedule that final night. Next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the unspoilt nature island of Dominica, Secret Bay offers sustainable luxury villas and bungalows and is the perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or the secluded holiday of a lifetime. Situated on a cliff-top overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay is unique in its diversity: two beaches, the magical Cario River, a spectacular sea cave and two distinct micro-climates. Secret Bay is becoming known as one of the best boutique resorts in the Caribbean - and indeed the world - for honeymoons, anniversaries, small family escapes and adventure vacations. In 2013 Secret Bay was chosen as the number one luxury resort in Caribbean by Islands Magazine; and its Zabuco Honeymoon Villa was voted as having the 3rd sexiest bedroom in the world at the Smiths Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Secret Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Bay Hotel Portsmouth
- Secret Bay Dominica/Portsmouth