All reviews zing zing zabuco villa our honeymoon private beach the indian river villa attendant plantain chips personal attendant natural beauty lion fish ylang ylang rum punch ti fey sunset sail middleham falls scuba diving year anniversary
Reviewed April 14, 2013

In March we went for the first time to Dominica. The first half of the week we spent in the jungle in the south west part of the island, the rest of the week we stayed at Secret Bay near Portsmouth. I wanted some time to spend by the ocean. Secret Bay is lovely quite spot. The two bedroom cottage was amazing, it had everything you could ask for. The staff are friendly and so helpful, one day we asked to go kayaking to their Secret Bay beach and see the caves, one of the staff got everything prepared for us before we came down, then came with us to help guide us through into the bat cave. A picnic lunch was made for us another time with very short notice. The food was very good, there is a kitchen down by the sea that you pre order what you want and what time you want to eat and then your cottage assistant sets up the table in your cottage and brings it to you. The owners are very friendly and wanted to make sure that we where having a great time. I didn't on this trip but next time I want to go horseback riding, I had heard great reviews about the stables that are close by.
It is very quite and relaxing place and we can't wait to come back.

Room tip: The size of the two bedroom cottage would be perfect for 2 couples.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Zing Zing villa was the perfect villa for my husband and I to share with my sister and her husband for a special vacation together. It's challenging to find a villa where both bedrooms are equally nice - most include one master suite and other smaller bedrooms which doesn't work well for two couples traveling together. Zing Zing has two identical spacious beautiful bedrooms each with matching large luxurious bathrooms.

The villa has wonderful outside decks with views of the water and the other side of the island. The breeze was delightful! We enjoyed relaxing together in the large hot tub or reading on the couches in our outside living room. When we wanted time alone as couples the spacious bedrooms were comfortable and private.

The kitchen is fully equipped with all the modern appliances you could wish for. Every morning we made our own individual cups of cappuccino and espresso - no matter what time each of us awoke we could enjoy a hot steaming cup. The kitchen was always stocked for us with delicious fresh juices and fruits, eggs and the best granola I've ever tasted.

We all wanted to vacation with the comfort of a home but without the work involved in food shopping, cooking and cleaning. Our vacation at Zing zing offered this better than any other option. The villa was cleaned every day - many villas only offer weekly cleaning. We never had to take time away from relaxing or fun to food shop, clean or cook. Lunch and dinner was delicious and we loved dining at the table on the large outside deck. In the morning we selected our choices for lunch and dinner and that was the last we thought about it. The food was varied and gave us a taste of the local cuisine which is what we hoped for. Fresh salads and fruits and homemade desserts kept us so happy we never thought of eating out. It was perfect to return from our daily activities, relax in the hot tub, have a cocktail and then enjoy a candle lit dinner al fresco. The staff was caring, friendly and eager to please including booking all our activities from hiking and canyoning to yoga and massages on our deck. We couldn't have asked for a better "home" to share a wonderful vacation together.

Secret Bay is very low key and casual and in some regards it is still a work in progress but any issues we had were overshadowed by Anna who seems dedicated to providing the best service possible.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Staying at Secret Bay was above and beyond what we had hoped for in a honeymoon experience! Upon arriving to the island, we were greeted at the airport with chilled water and towels. How thoughtful! Our ride took us to the resort, which is located on the edge of a cliff facing out over the Caribbean Sea. The location is breathtaking! The resort is surrounded by forest and mountains and of course water. We especially enjoyed birdwatching from our bungalow. The bungalow itself was cozy and comfortable. Secret Bay has its own beach which is just a short walk down from your room, but you also have the option of kayaking to Secret Beach or Coconut Beach. I recommend going to both at least once! Secret Bay has plenty of other activities for you to participate in as well. They offer things like cooking classes, bike rentals, yoga, snorkeling, and excursions away from the resort. The wonderful Anna was ever so helpful in planning and organizing an itinerary for the week that we stayed there. We just had to tell her what we were interested in and then show up at the designated spot to begin our adventure! Not only Anna but also the rest of the staff at Secret Bay are some of the most accommodating and friendly people we've ever met. Maggie took care of our needs inside our bungalow. She made sure we had everything that we needed and also made us our meals. At Secret Bay, you have a few options for food. Each of the bungalows and villas are equipped with kitchens so you can cook for yourself, or you can go out and eat on the island. However, we opted to have Maggie cook for us. Phenomenal is how I would describe the meals! It was well worth it, and also convenient and romantic to have our meals brought up so we could eat on our private balcony. I could rave on and on about how wonderful our experience was while staying at Secret Bay in Dominica. What we truly appreciated was how the staff cared about making sure we were relaxed and having a good time. It felt great to know each of the people that helped us during the week by name and depart with hugs and well wishes. Even the owner made a point to visit us twice and make sure everything was to our satisfaction! Initially we had planned to go to an all-inclusive resort somewhere else, but Secret Bay was the perfect place for our honeymoon; the beauty and level of hospitality would have been unmatched anywhere else. I highly recommend staying at Secret Bay!!
(I would also like to note that Secret Bay has bungalows for couples but also larger villas for groups, whether it's a family group or a group of couples. We met both kinds of groups during our stay who were in the villa and they seemed to be having just as much fun. =] )

Date of stay: January 2013
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Secret Bay is even more beautiful than the pictures. The unique beauty and surroundings, coupled with the comfort, privacy and delicious food made for an incredible honeymoon. After the beautiful surroundings, the food and the food service was my next favorite part. I loved having a pre-stocked kitchen (with everything we requested). We enjoyed making our breakfast in the morning and being treated to dinner at night. Every dinner topped the previous. Everything tasted fresh and delicious. One of my best memories was having the kitchen staff make the fish that we caught on an excurious earlier that day. Ana is extremely accomdating and helped us plan our mini-adventures. I say mini, because it was just the right amount of action for us. Taking a boat tour with Fire down the Indian River and stopping at the bar in the middle of the river (litterally, a bar in the river!) was a special adventure. Watch out for the rum punch they call Dynamite-it's delicious and is as it sounds.

The Mapou bungalow we stayed in was great-it truly feels like a "luxury tree house". Everything feels new, clean and modern but also layed back. I especially liked the fresh flowers that were refreshed in our kitchen during the week.

The kayak to the beach was fun (and easy) everyday. The staff was so accomodating in having the kayaks ready for you as soon as you got down to the beach. We saw one other couple, only once, during our many trips to the beach. Laying on the beach was so enjoyable I could barely pay attention to my book.

The resort has both a Sunset Deck and Meditation Deck that are extremely comfortable and enjoyable to relax at. We often sat on the Mediation Deck as a change of scenery from the already beautiful view from our bungalow's deck. One morning we did yoga on the Sunset Deck overlooking the water and watching the sunrise. Basically anything that you would dream of while at Secret Bay, the staff can help to make it happen.

I would defintely return to Secret Bay and maybe even be more adventurous. Although even if we did the same exact thing, I know we would again have an incredbile time.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Last year, a colleague casually mentioned Secret Bay to me, and after a year of obsessing over the website images, my honeymoon was booked. The trip was everything we hoped for, namely, a safe and quiet island paradise for us to enjoy. So many wonderful things to say...

1. Greeted at airport with air conditioning, cold scented towels, and water. Um, yes please.
2. Mapou bungalow was perfect for two. Waking up with the ocean breeze and sound of wind in the trees was something every human being should experience. Best sleep of my life.
3. Kitchen was pre-stocked as requested and we thoroughly enjoyed making breakfast each day.
4. We paid for the cooking service for dinner each day, served at a time we requested. All I can say is lamb = heaven. And please, for me, order dessert each night.
5. Staff is so friendly you almost hate how discrete they are. They can also make pretty much anything happen. Example - I called Anna at 5pm one night asking if we could arrange a massage the next day. It was confirmed within 10 minutes.
6. Having to kayak to the various beaches was a mini adventure each day. Secret Beach was our favorite, honestly, we never ran into another person in 5 days. A Caribbean beach! All to yourself!! Actually we did have one visitor - an employee who met us on the beach with coconuts that he hacked the tops off so we could drink the fresh water. Priceless.
7. Indian River tour with Fire was entertaining and recommended for a quick excursion.
8. We were the lucky recipients of an upgrade to the Honeymoon Villa our final night. Wow. There is not one thing wrong with that place. We took advantage of everything - the outdoor shower, the Pirates of the Caribbean DVD, the espresso machine, the bathtub, the infinity pool, the veranda. The pure bliss of having an hour long massage on the veranda, with the breeze on your back and the sound of the ocean, will never be forgotten.

Our goal was relaxation and Secret Bay delivered. If you don't want to plan a single thing, it's cool. There is no pressure to "do stuff" like on some vacations I've taken, but if you want to, the staff can plan literally anything you want, usually the day of. If you don't want to deal with crowds, you may literally not run into anyone for a week. If you are a sweatpants person like me, you will rejoice in the fact that you can bring 5 articles of clothing and still over-pack, because there is nothing to get dressed up for.

The only con I can think of is that the drive from the airport to Secret Bay is about one hour on a WINDING road, so if you get carsick really easy, brace yourself. Another downside is writing your glowing review when you get home and sinking into depression when you realize you are no longer there :(

A big thank you to everyone at Secret Bay! Can't wait until the day we return...

Date of stay: January 2013