Last year, a colleague casually mentioned Secret Bay to me, and after a year of obsessing over the website images, my honeymoon was booked. The trip was everything we hoped for, namely, a safe and quiet island paradise for us to enjoy. So many wonderful things to say...
1. Greeted at airport with air conditioning, cold scented towels, and water. Um, yes please.
2. Mapou bungalow was perfect for two. Waking up with the ocean breeze and sound of wind in the trees was something every human being should experience. Best sleep of my life.
3. Kitchen was pre-stocked as requested and we thoroughly enjoyed making breakfast each day.
4. We paid for the cooking service for dinner each day, served at a time we requested. All I can say is lamb = heaven. And please, for me, order dessert each night.
5. Staff is so friendly you almost hate how discrete they are. They can also make pretty much anything happen. Example - I called Anna at 5pm one night asking if we could arrange a massage the next day. It was confirmed within 10 minutes.
6. Having to kayak to the various beaches was a mini adventure each day. Secret Beach was our favorite, honestly, we never ran into another person in 5 days. A Caribbean beach! All to yourself!! Actually we did have one visitor - an employee who met us on the beach with coconuts that he hacked the tops off so we could drink the fresh water. Priceless.
7. Indian River tour with Fire was entertaining and recommended for a quick excursion.
8. We were the lucky recipients of an upgrade to the Honeymoon Villa our final night. Wow. There is not one thing wrong with that place. We took advantage of everything - the outdoor shower, the Pirates of the Caribbean DVD, the espresso machine, the bathtub, the infinity pool, the veranda. The pure bliss of having an hour long massage on the veranda, with the breeze on your back and the sound of the ocean, will never be forgotten.
Our goal was relaxation and Secret Bay delivered. If you don't want to plan a single thing, it's cool. There is no pressure to "do stuff" like on some vacations I've taken, but if you want to, the staff can plan literally anything you want, usually the day of. If you don't want to deal with crowds, you may literally not run into anyone for a week. If you are a sweatpants person like me, you will rejoice in the fact that you can bring 5 articles of clothing and still over-pack, because there is nothing to get dressed up for.
The only con I can think of is that the drive from the airport to Secret Bay is about one hour on a WINDING road, so if you get carsick really easy, brace yourself. Another downside is writing your glowing review when you get home and sinking into depression when you realize you are no longer there :(
A big thank you to everyone at Secret Bay! Can't wait until the day we return...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the unspoilt nature island of Dominica, Secret Bay offers sustainable luxury villas and bungalows and is the perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or the secluded holiday of a lifetime. Situated on a cliff-top overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay is unique in its diversity: two beaches, the magical Cario River, a spectacular sea cave and two distinct micro-climates. Secret Bay is becoming known as one of the best boutique resorts in the Caribbean - and indeed the world - for honeymoons, anniversaries, small family escapes and adventure vacations. In 2013 Secret Bay was chosen as the number one luxury resort in Caribbean by Islands Magazine; and its Zabuco Honeymoon Villa was voted as having the 3rd sexiest bedroom in the world at the Smiths Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Secret Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Bay Hotel Portsmouth
- Secret Bay Dominica/Portsmouth