I originally learned of Secret Bay on The Today Show. As soon as I saw the property and island, I researched more, saved it as a "Favorites tab" on my computer, and a few years later, I finally booked a stay at Secret Bay. There are so many reasons my husband and I love Secret Bay.
The Location is Magical: Waking up to "Benny" the bull-finch bird that was waiting for us to eat breakfast on our lovely balcony overlooking the Caribbean and Dominica Mountains.... Kayaking right from the Secret Bay shores.... Resting on the Secret Bay private beach.... close to many hikes, waterfalls, cute town of Portsmouth, and Fort Shirley....and it's an amazingly scenic and easy drive to and from the airport. (we rented a car and explored the island on our own...very easy!)... we were alone on much of our hikes and at the waterfalls....hard to find that now-a-days.
The Service is Excellent: Anastasia was so pleasant and helpful from the first point of contact. She was always quick to respond to emails, questions and request. Ana did a great job explaining the resort, island and amenities at Secret Bay along with getting us quickly adapted to Secret Bay and the services they provide. Then came Maggie, our concierge for our stay. She was always there when we needed her, and always so pleasant! One of our favorite memories of Secret Bay was getting to know the staff. We would hang out with Jemma and Josie, the Secret Bay Chef's, while they were cooking our meals. We learned about the native cuisine, their culture and themselves. Jemma and Josie were always so friendly...and really excellent chefs! One day we had the pleasure of running into Jemma in the town of Portsmouth. She was so kind to walk around with us as we enjoyed the local farmers market. Jemma, Josie, Maggie and Ana are all examples of how kind the Dominican people truly are... We had no hesistancy picking up the locals to give them a lift to their next destination. They are truly the nicest people I've ever met while traveling. So rich in culture, religion, family and the love and respect for their island and for others.
I highly recommend a visit to Secret Bay!!! It's the best money we've ever spent on lodging...and it's worth every penny based on the accomodations, location, service and staff. In addition, Dominica is paradise, with wonderful people....and totally off the beaten path!!! Highly recommended!
PS: To Secret Bay management: Ana, Jemma, Josie and Maggie deserve a raise!!! They work so hard to please their guests, and they do it with warmth and a smile. Not to forget Bianca, who was also very helpful and friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the unspoilt nature island of Dominica, Secret Bay offers sustainable luxury villas and bungalows and is the perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or the secluded holiday of a lifetime. Situated on a cliff-top overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay is unique in its diversity: two beaches, the magical Cario River, a spectacular sea cave and two distinct micro-climates. Secret Bay is becoming known as one of the best boutique resorts in the Caribbean - and indeed the world - for honeymoons, anniversaries, small family escapes and adventure vacations. In 2013 Secret Bay was chosen as the number one luxury resort in Caribbean by Islands Magazine; and its Zabuco Honeymoon Villa was voted as having the 3rd sexiest bedroom in the world at the Smiths Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Secret Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Bay Hotel Portsmouth
- Secret Bay Dominica/Portsmouth