All reviews zing zing zabuco villa our honeymoon private beach the indian river villa attendant plantain chips personal attendant natural beauty lion fish ylang ylang rum punch ti fey sunset sail middleham falls scuba diving year anniversary
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I spent 6 nights in Mapou Bungalow this month. It was the most unique place we have ever stayed, it is truly very special. Our bungalow was our own, and very private and our views from our balcony and the 2nd floor bedroom are a spectacular combination of trees and ocean, with Portsmouth in the distance. What makes the place really stand out is the service. When you arrive, you receive a cell phone with numbers programmed in. We had to call (for minor things) several times and the call was always answered very quickly and our problem resolved within 5 minutes. The Manager/Concierge, Anna, is an absolute gem ... the most genuinely friendly and helpful person we've every met in the hotel business. And we enjoyed a couple of chats with the owner Gregor, who is equally charming and friendly. We mostly cooked our own meals in the fully equipped kitchen but had dinner provided by the hotel 3 nights and the food was wonderful. I would also add that the water equipment (kayaks, snorkelling) is the highest quality of any we've seen in the Caribbean.
I encourage anyone interested in this resort to go through their website carefully - what you see there is absolutely what you get when you arrive!

Date of stay: February 2013
1  Thank Sue G
Reviewed January 28, 2013

......Secret Bay is truly a world class hotel. I hesitate to call Secret Bay a hotel as the serenity and peace one feels awakens the heart and at times makes you feel more at home than your own. It is home away from home. Every design detail of the villas and bungalows, the amazing views, the soothing ocean sounds, the birds and other wild life all add to something at once almost decadent yet also dreamed by an artist. But it would all be meaningless, if it were not for the warmth and care of the staff who take a personal interest to insure your stay was a memorable and welcome one. Anna ensures that your overall holiday suits the traveler’s spirit and temperament. Whether you want your planned day excursions to be a strenuous hike to Boiling Lake or a soothing riverboat ride up the Indian River, Anna makes it happen. In addition, both Maggie and Rosaline go the extra mile in blending tasty fresh fruit juices, restocking the fridge with your personal preferences or preparing a real Dominican breakfast. It was such a delight to see their smiling faces each day as part of the cooking service option. Furthermore, Gilbert ensured our stay was pleasant, whether transporting luggage from Ti-fey bungalow to Zabuco villa or interacting with my partner regarding local music culture, guitar lessons and creole time info. Gilbert remember your guitar homework “practice, practice, practice”. Finally, it was so lovely that the owner Gregor and his cute little ones hand delivered us Christmas treats which included chocolates and an amazing bottle of rum punch.

Before I close, I must say Dominica is a lovely island, relaxing, soothing and absolutely fun. Experienced hiking guides such as Dr. Birdy, Bobby and Ryan add their personal touch while educating you about endangered parrots, local flora, fauna and life in general as you trek to one amazing waterfall after another.. Lastly, we cannot forget Champagne Beach which is a must do for scuba diving or snorkeling activities.

Date of stay: December 2012
9  Thank Martiniolives
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Secret Bay for our Honeymoon in October and we could not have been happier with our stay. The Ti-Fey bungalow was a perfect size for us - Cozy, but plenty of room. We were close to another bungalow on the property, but we felt secluded and never felt a loss of privacy. The quality of the bungalow was apparent from the moment we walked in: fantastic hard wood, great appliances, marble counter tops, nice furniture, and a very comfortable bed. These bungalows have been built right. We also loved the little perks like the Bose stereo with iPod hook up, the cell phone for contacting Anna (Resort Manager), security and other staff members, and the kindle loaded with Newspapers from back home. The grounds were very nice as well. You get a rustic luxury feel as the resort is built into the hill/cliff side with all of the tropical feel preserved. Tucked into the trees and wildlife are the bungalows and villas seamlessly incorporated with stone paths, lighting, and beautiful flowers. There is also a new observation deck for great views of sunset and a great spot for dinner (Just ask)

Service - My first impression of Secret Bay was the service. From the moment I booked months before the Honeymoon I was in contact with Anna via e-mail hashing out our plans and details. Airport transportation, activities and the food we ate during our stay – everything was taken care of. She was attentive and always provided prompt feedback. Upon arrival the service was continued. Our bungalow attendant Rosalie was wonderful. She brought us amazing food, took care of our bungalow and did all the little things: a heart of rose petals on our bed for our last night, providing anything we asked for, and packed lunches for our excursions every day. Security was always just a phone call away and could provide anything. We felt very well attended the entire trip while still maintaining privacy.

Food – The food was fantastic to say the least. We asked for fresh juices and a breakfast basket filled with breads and fruits, granola and yogurt. It was the perfect way for us to wake up every morning. Not to mention the fresh juices made fantastic Rum Punches to enjoy on our deck. Like I mentioned before lunches we provided to go whenever we needed them. When we arrived our fridge was stocked with exactly what we requested. Then there were the dinners prepared and brought by Rosalie. Fantastic food! We asked for mostly seafood, but we wanted to eat local fare prepared the local way and we got it. We were never disappointed with a dinner! Try the cocoa tea as well. We loved it so much we found some ingredients to bring home.

Activities – For our honeymoon we wanted a balance of relaxation and adventure. Dominica was the place and Secret Bay made it a possibility. Anna and the staff worked out every detail of our excursions on the spot – Then provided us a printed sheet with what to bring, a proposed itinerary, and a driver/guide for our trip. From snorkeling in Champagne beach, to hiking Trafalgar Falls, to taking a boat ride down the Indian River everything was taken care of. We felt safe the entire time and we loved every min of it. On top of that you could call security and be snorkeling in and around Secret Bay’s cave within 5 min. Finally, our best activity was Canyoning! An amazing activity suggested to us by Anna that we will never forget. If you don’t know what it is imagine a river flowing down a mountain in the middle of a tropical rainforest – now imagine rappelling and cliff jumping your way down that river!

Lastly I would like to say that throughout our entire experience we felt at home. The owner of Secret Bay, Gregor, and his wife Sandra made a point to come visit us before they left on their own trip. They were genuinely interested in our story and it was obvious to us how much they cared about their resort. From the moment I booked to weeks after I left I was in contact with Anna who took great care of us and put up with all my questions. Rosalie was an amazing host and a wonderful cook. My wife and I cannot wait to go back there for another stay. As we learned when we were saying good-bye…. It is not good-bye, it’s see you again soon.

Room tip: Utilize the observation deck!
Date of stay: October 2012
5  Thank CutterB
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Me and my husband had a great time for our honeymoon. The service was great and we felt like celebrities. We wanted to stay at the Zaboca however, it was booked that week. We stated in the Tifey bongalo and was great. Our last night we wanted to stay at Zaboca to experience the famous honeymoon suite since it was not occupied. The staff was very nice and cleaned the suite as early as possible to allow us to fully enjoy it for one night. We loved the uniqueness of the place and its food service.

We had a great time and thinking about going back on our 5yr anniversary.

Great service overall and having the owner personally drive us to the airport on Sunday was a nice touch.

Date of stay: October 2012
1  Thank Mimi C
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Secret Bay is a romantic, exotic, and beautiful escape that before our trip, I had only dreamed about travelling to. My new husband and I stayed in the Mapou bungalow at Secret Bay for our honeymoon in July. The bungalow was the perfect size for us and the perfect location. Our bungalow was perched perfectly in the trees and although it was only about 20 ft away from the Ti-Pey bungalow, it felt like we were all alone. The view from our upstairs bedroom was breathtaking! Waking up each morning to the pebble beach and rock cliffs was so relaxing and made us want to stay in bed all day...(and for a few days we did!). A few things that stood out in my mind about our stay at Secret Bay:
1) I came down with a terrible cold the night we arrived. With the cell phones we were given, my husband called security (because it was after hours...8:30pm) to ask if they had any cold medication. Security called Anna, the amazing resort manager, at her home, and she was the one to call us back to tell us that security would be at our bungalow shortly with something for my cold. They turned up within 15 minutes with fresh herbs that they picked from the property, including ginger root, lemon grass, and some other mysterious plant. Anna gave us instructions earlier to chop it all up to make tea for my cold, and it worked wonders!
2) Our "attendant", Rosalyn, was fabulous! She is an amazing cook and just a really great lady to chat with! She was so thoughtful too, because on our second night, while we were out for dinner, she left hot tea in the kitchen for me! That tea was so strong that it kicked the rest of my cold out of my system!
3) We liked that we could decide what we wanted for lunch and dinner the day of, and that we could take a short walk down to the snack shack to grab lunch if we wanted. We also like that at the beginning of the trip we told them what activities we were interested in doing on the island, and they arranged it for us, including a taxi to dinner (although we learned after that that the cooking at Secret Bay is better than anywhere you'll find on the island), a rowboat cruise with "Fire" on the Indian River, and a reservation to go canyoning (which was AMAZING!).
4) It was cool that we could call security whenever we wanted to ask them to arrange the double kayak, life vests, paddles, and snorkelling gear for us. We went out a number of times to see the sea life in Secret Bay and try to find buried treasure!
5) Lastly, the owner of Secret Bay, Gregor, stopped by our bungalow one day to see how our visit was. He told us about some old cannons buried underwater and tried to help us search for them. It turned out one had been taken, and the other was VERY hard to find! Gregor's wife, Sandra, met us on the beach one day as well, and took us over to a small cave beside Secret Beach. She led us in the cave through a small crack in the cliff rock that was half underwater. It was so beautiful! There were tons of bats overhead, but the colour of the water was so magical! Then she showed us the way out from there and invited us to return any time from that point on by ourselves.
Overall, our trip was one I'm sure we'll never have again, and one we'll always remember. The staff were incredibly accommodating and met our every need and want, the location and accommodations were breath-taking, and the hospitality and kindness of everyone on the island was so much appreciated! We can't wait to go back some day!

Room tip: I think every villa and bungalow at Secret Bay is amazing! I would recommend either the Mapou or T-Pey bungalow if its just a trip for 2, or the Zabuco Honeymoon villa, because these three look directly out to the sea. The Zing-Zing villa, although it's gorgeous and private, is set back a little further into the property and doesn't seem to have as good of a sea view as the other bungalows and villas.
Date of stay: July 2012