Secret Bay is a romantic, exotic, and beautiful escape that before our trip, I had only dreamed about travelling to. My new husband and I stayed in the Mapou bungalow at Secret Bay for our honeymoon in July. The bungalow was the perfect size for us and the perfect location. Our bungalow was perched perfectly in the trees and although it was only about 20 ft away from the Ti-Pey bungalow, it felt like we were all alone. The view from our upstairs bedroom was breathtaking! Waking up each morning to the pebble beach and rock cliffs was so relaxing and made us want to stay in bed all day...(and for a few days we did!). A few things that stood out in my mind about our stay at Secret Bay:
1) I came down with a terrible cold the night we arrived. With the cell phones we were given, my husband called security (because it was after hours...8:30pm) to ask if they had any cold medication. Security called Anna, the amazing resort manager, at her home, and she was the one to call us back to tell us that security would be at our bungalow shortly with something for my cold. They turned up within 15 minutes with fresh herbs that they picked from the property, including ginger root, lemon grass, and some other mysterious plant. Anna gave us instructions earlier to chop it all up to make tea for my cold, and it worked wonders!
2) Our "attendant", Rosalyn, was fabulous! She is an amazing cook and just a really great lady to chat with! She was so thoughtful too, because on our second night, while we were out for dinner, she left hot tea in the kitchen for me! That tea was so strong that it kicked the rest of my cold out of my system!
3) We liked that we could decide what we wanted for lunch and dinner the day of, and that we could take a short walk down to the snack shack to grab lunch if we wanted. We also like that at the beginning of the trip we told them what activities we were interested in doing on the island, and they arranged it for us, including a taxi to dinner (although we learned after that that the cooking at Secret Bay is better than anywhere you'll find on the island), a rowboat cruise with "Fire" on the Indian River, and a reservation to go canyoning (which was AMAZING!).
4) It was cool that we could call security whenever we wanted to ask them to arrange the double kayak, life vests, paddles, and snorkelling gear for us. We went out a number of times to see the sea life in Secret Bay and try to find buried treasure!
5) Lastly, the owner of Secret Bay, Gregor, stopped by our bungalow one day to see how our visit was. He told us about some old cannons buried underwater and tried to help us search for them. It turned out one had been taken, and the other was VERY hard to find! Gregor's wife, Sandra, met us on the beach one day as well, and took us over to a small cave beside Secret Beach. She led us in the cave through a small crack in the cliff rock that was half underwater. It was so beautiful! There were tons of bats overhead, but the colour of the water was so magical! Then she showed us the way out from there and invited us to return any time from that point on by ourselves.
Overall, our trip was one I'm sure we'll never have again, and one we'll always remember. The staff were incredibly accommodating and met our every need and want, the location and accommodations were breath-taking, and the hospitality and kindness of everyone on the island was so much appreciated! We can't wait to go back some day!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the unspoilt nature island of Dominica, Secret Bay offers sustainable luxury villas and bungalows and is the perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or the secluded holiday of a lifetime. Situated on a cliff-top overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay is unique in its diversity: two beaches, the magical Cario River, a spectacular sea cave and two distinct micro-climates. Secret Bay is becoming known as one of the best boutique resorts in the Caribbean - and indeed the world - for honeymoons, anniversaries, small family escapes and adventure vacations. In 2013 Secret Bay was chosen as the number one luxury resort in Caribbean by Islands Magazine; and its Zabuco Honeymoon Villa was voted as having the 3rd sexiest bedroom in the world at the Smiths Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Secret Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Bay Hotel Portsmouth
- Secret Bay Dominica/Portsmouth