My husband and I stayed in Zabuco Honeymoon villa for our honeymoon this October. Upon our arrival at Secret Bay, the one word I can use to describe what I felt was "surreal". I keep telling people that when you look at a picture of a place it always looks amazing because it has been touched up. Well walking into Zabuco felt like walking into the pictures we have seen. Not one thing was different than what we had seen while planning this trip. AMAZING!!!
Speaking of the senses, the next sense hit was my sense of smell. The entire villa is comprised of Guyanese hardwood which has been treated by bay oil. And it smells so good! I even went home with a vial of bay oil so I can continue to smell this wonderful scent.
The next sense that occurred to me was sound. Listening to the lovely accent of our wonderful host, Anna. Anna was absolutely wonderful at her task of catering to our every need with professionalism, kindness and grace. She even had local caribbean music playing as we entered the villa! (Not to mention the amazing sound of the ocean and local wildlife!)
Now was the real test, TASTE! Secret Bay and our appointed chefs, Rosaline and Dela, did NOT disappoint in our culinary needs. Our meals were delicious and I especially loved the desserts! (Our first dessert was a yummy banana brownie, we also had a delish chocolate dessert another night and a pineapple carrot cake the last night! I think my only complaint would be that there could have been MORE! We also greatly enjoyed the homemade yoghurt and granola that came in our organic breakfast basket as well as the GUAVA juice. YUM!
The last sense would be touch and did we! (I'm talking activities!) Our first day we started out with a kayak to secret beach including a visit by Sandra who guided us through the Secret Cave. I'm bummed we didn't take our camera in there - it was a mini-adventure! Then we attended Music in the Park - part of the Creole Festival in Roseau. It was super fun to see the town and experience some local music and food. We also got a peek of some parrots at the botanical garden where the festival was being held. The second day we took a boat ride with Don for some local fishing and snorkeling. We both caught a Jack fish (my first fish ever!) and Don showed us blowfish and lion fish at the snorkel site. The next day we were picked up by Bobby for our hike through Morne Trois Pitons National Park to the boiling lake. It was TOUGH but we did it! I highly recommend it as there is much to see and a huge feeling of accomplishment when you finally see the prize. Bobby and Joseph were awesome hosts waiting for us to take a post-hike dip in the Titou Gorge and then treating us to rum at the cafe conveniently located just outside the park. That night, another guest had graciously invited us to their villa for a group dinner. The cooking was amazing and the company was fun! Thanks again, Wendy and Ron! Our last day was dedicated to relaxation starting out with a yoga session led by Sandra and then an afternoon massage. The masseuse was amazing and it was super cool having a massage while listening to the ocean - it even rained for about 10 minutes which only added to the relaxing sounds!
I HIGHLY recommend a visit to Secret Bay whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation, they have it all. I really could have enjoyed it just as much, never leaving Zabuco Villa for one minute. The level of detail that Gregor and Sandra have put into this villa is outstanding. I even want to find out what type of sheets were on the bed as they were so comfortable and snugly. Although, I cannot finish this review without mentioning the bathtub. If you have seen pictures of Zabuco Villa, you know there is a free-standing bathtub overlooking the ocean, conveniently placed on the side where the sun sets. AMAZING. I told Gregor my only advice would be to include some bubble bath in the room for those taking advantage of that huge tub! We also LOVED the dual head shower which opened up to the views of the ocean - I felt like I was showering in nature!
Thanks again to Gregor, Sandra, Anna and the entire crew at Secret Bay for helping us to enjoy an unforgettable honeymoon. Until we are able to make it back, I will think of you in my dreams! ;)
Debra & Brian
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the unspoilt nature island of Dominica, Secret Bay offers sustainable luxury villas and bungalows and is the perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or the secluded holiday of a lifetime. Situated on a cliff-top overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay is unique in its diversity: two beaches, the magical Cario River, a spectacular sea cave and two distinct micro-climates. Secret Bay is becoming known as one of the best boutique resorts in the Caribbean - and indeed the world - for honeymoons, anniversaries, small family escapes and adventure vacations. In 2013 Secret Bay was chosen as the number one luxury resort in Caribbean by Islands Magazine; and its Zabuco Honeymoon Villa was voted as having the 3rd sexiest bedroom in the world at the Smiths Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Secret Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Bay Hotel Portsmouth
- Secret Bay Dominica/Portsmouth