“Second Visit ....” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portsmouth
Toronto, Canada
“Second Visit ....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

in twelve months! Last week, my husband and I returned from our second one week holiday at Secret Bay. Last October, I wrote a review about this property and I am delighted to contribute my comments again.

We chose to return to Zing Zing villa. A spacious and beautiful two bedroom villa overlooking the sea. The layout is ideal for a family or two couples but we decided to spoil ourselves and take advantage of the large inside and outdoor living space. One year later, the entire property is even more beautiful than when we first visited. The flora is maturing beautifully with the help of Secret Bay's onsite landscape architect, the villas seem to be settling into their natural environment flawlessly and the hummingbirds and butterflies have definitely found their home. I think my favorite part of the day was lounging on the expansive veranda each late afternoon admiring the beauty of nature. Being a City person, quite used to staring at concrete buildings and the backside of cars every day, there were endless opportunities to enjoy the overwhelming sights and sounds before me.

To honor a promise to the staff which I made last year was to return and prepare dinner for them, just to show our appreciation for their good care during our holiday. Zing Zing proved to be a fabulous entertainment space. The kitchen was equipped well, allowing me to prepare a gourmet meal with ease, and, we were able to accommodate a gorgeous dinner outside on our veranda for 10 easily. We also entertained the hotel guests which felt like a scene out of a magazine. Everyone at the dinner table shared fabulous stories of their discoveries on the 'nature island' which only reinforced how lucky we all were to be visitors of such a special place.

Gregor and Sandra were perfect hosts. As with our experience last year, Gregor, my husband and I would kayak to one of their two beaches each morning to fit in some daily exercise before the day began. Sandra was the perfect hostess and was always ready to navigate hotel guests through a very interesting cave experience, take us through a wonderful yoga class or just come around to make sure we were all making the most of our vacation. Secret Bay has a staff masseuse who, I have to rate as one of the best massages I've experienced. The staff were wonderful, creating an ambience for us which catered to all of our needs and we really felt as if we were leaving our family at the end of the week. We are already anxious to book Zing Zing for next year and see our 'family' again.

It is impossible to rave about all of the activities on the island. Each day we looked forward to a long hike usually ending at a magnificent waterfall; a reward for a physcally demanding experience. Secret Bay has collected a very professional group of tour guides and we never felt unprepared to tackle a new challenge. The people of Dominica have a great sense of pride in their Country and all it offers. Their enthusiasm is authentic and addictive. Much as we liked all of our guides, we felt drawn to Charlie and Devon. They together offered us the blend of wisdom and youthful energy which we really enjoyed.

I realize that most of these reviews are extraordinarily favorable - its all quite true! If you are considering visiting Secret Bay, enjoy. But please leave Zing Zing available for us next year!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Lakeland, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Secret Bay is really indescribable. I know we will have a hard time finding a hotel better. Their service was amazing. My now husband got coral splinters in his foot from not wearing water shoes kayaking and not only did Ana get the first aid kit out.. She picked them out herself!!! Can I bring you home with me Ana!?! Food is delicious best on the island, Rose was our beautiful attendant who cooked and took great care of us. We also went to Monty's which serves a nice fish dinner and has a fun atmosphere on the water. There is so much to do at Secret Bay you really don't have to leave. You must stay here if you're visiting Dominica. There really is nothing like it. I was worried that there would be bugs because I'm prone to getting bit. It wasn't horrible and luckily Secret Bay supplies all the bug spray you need. I do recommend buying citronella wrist bands I wore them the whole trip and it really helped prevent bites. All in all a wonderful trip on a beautiful island. What a great time! We can't wait to return to Secret Bay. Thanks to all their wonderful staff who made our honeymoon a trip to remember. Love you guys!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed at Manciou which I prefer over Ti-Fey it is a little more private I think because of the l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I'm so disorganised I only just got round to doing this so I'll keep it short. Secret Bay was a lovely place. The accommodation was great and the food was excellent. Anastasia was so helpful and lovely.

Lovely and relaxing. Went for kayak around to the secluded beach.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed at Mapou bungalow at Secret Bay. We called it paradise. From the most friendly, pristine and unnoticeable service to the natural beauty of the grounds and beaches, to the most comfortable and thoughtful layout and furnishing of each bungalow and villa. This place is the most beautiful, private and luxurious with so much to offer. As soon as you enter the grounds you do not want to leave for even a minute. We will definitely treat ourselves again soon for a few days in paradise on the paradise island.

Room Tip: Mapou bungalow is the most privately located one with beautiful views for most amazing sunrises and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Zivile_Pupinyte
St. Croix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Excellent hosts & a beautiful place to unwind. We live in & travel the islands, and really enjoyed our stay for a week at Secret Bay. Thanks to everyone for making our stay special at Zabuco Villa! Hope to be back soon

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank cruzanstcroix
Flushing, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon. We heard about it from National Geographic Traveller. The image of Secret Bay and the sea was breathtaking and we couldn't wait to go.

We stayed for 10 days and enjoyed it all. Excellent service and food along with two beautiful private beaches.

Definitely the best place to stay in Dominica.

Highly recommended and we can't wait to go back !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dennis940
Maurertown, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Secret Bay 8/18-8/25/12. The following is a copy of the letter that I sent to Gregor Naffies after our stay:

Now you have done it. You and your staff have set the bar so high that I don’t think that Kay and I will ever find a place to quite live up to your standards and hospitality again.
The beauty and serenity of Secret Bay speaks for itself. It is obvious that a great deal of planning and thought went into the placement of the bungalows and villas, to take full advantage of their surroundings. From the moment your guests drive through your gates they are transported into another world and the rest of the world and its problems tend to melt away.
Our bungalow, Ti-Fey, was a wonderful “tree house” with all of the amenities that one could wish for. From the moment that we walked in the door, with Norah Jones playing softly on the stereo, we knew that we were in for a special treat. Again, it is apparent that much thought went into the structure and its furnishings. It was comfortable and tastefully done without at all being ostentatious. Where will we ever find such a place again?
But what REALLY shines at Secret Bay is your staff. We were treated with kindness and respect by everyone, and we felt like we had been welcomed into an extended family. Every effort was made to accommodate our requests and wishes and yet we did not feel like we were being hovered over. On the contrary, it often it felt like no one else was about, other than us. Of course, we knew that all we had to do was to pick up the cell phone (a wonderful convenience) and call, if we needed anything. We will never forget sitting on our deck while enjoying a bottle of wine and one delicious dinner after another.
I feel like I have known Anna personally ever since we began corresponding by email last fall, and it was wonderful to finally get to meet her in person. She is as delightful as I had anticipated she would be. I am afraid to name other staff members, for fear of inadvertently leaving anyone out. Please rest assured though, that everyone was wonderful and they ALL deserve kudos for the work that they do. Please let them all know that we said so.
It was also a treat for us to meet you personally, Gregor. We truly appreciated you stopping by to say hello and to enquire if there was anything else we needed and also for stopping in to say goodbye and ask us about our stay. It is obvious that you take great pride in Secret Bay, and rightfully so. We wish you continued success, as Secret Bay expands and grows and becomes better known to the rest of the world. Right now we like to think of it as our secret.
Secret Bay is a multifaceted jewel and we feel very privileged to have experienced it.
Mark Pierce & Kay Ely-Pierce
I hope that this letter speaks for itself. We were very pleased, and Secret Bay obviously exceeded our expectations. If you plan to visit Dominica and rent a car (as we did) I highly recommend that you rent as small a vehicle as possible. The roads are generally very narrow and there are many blind curves. Plan to drive slowly and nonaggressively and yield to other traffic freely. Be alert at all times and expect the unexpected. When I mentioned to Gregor how many new gray hairs I had acquired, he laughed and asked me how many I had given the other drivers! If you don’t rent a car, there are many small buses that travel all over the island, or the staff at Secret Bay can arrange various excursions for you. Dominica is a beautiful island with very warm and friendly people who, when engaged, are happy to give directions, etc. As tempting as it may be to totally relax at Secret Bay, I would urge you to get out and explore as much as you can. An EXCELLENT resource is the book Dominica, by Paul Crask. We had actually ordered it before our departure, but it did not arrive in time. There was, however, a copy of it included in the library of our bungalow at Secret Bay!

Room Tip: There are only four to choose from! Two bungalows and two villas.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mark P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Pagua Bay House Oceanfront Cabanas
Calibishie Cove
Calibishie Cove
#1 of 3 in Calibishie
The Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Secret Bay? Share your experiences!