My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Secret Bay 8/18-8/25/12. The following is a copy of the letter that I sent to Gregor Naffies after our stay:
Now you have done it. You and your staff have set the bar so high that I don’t think that Kay and I will ever find a place to quite live up to your standards and hospitality again.
The beauty and serenity of Secret Bay speaks for itself. It is obvious that a great deal of planning and thought went into the placement of the bungalows and villas, to take full advantage of their surroundings. From the moment your guests drive through your gates they are transported into another world and the rest of the world and its problems tend to melt away.
Our bungalow, Ti-Fey, was a wonderful “tree house” with all of the amenities that one could wish for. From the moment that we walked in the door, with Norah Jones playing softly on the stereo, we knew that we were in for a special treat. Again, it is apparent that much thought went into the structure and its furnishings. It was comfortable and tastefully done without at all being ostentatious. Where will we ever find such a place again?
But what REALLY shines at Secret Bay is your staff. We were treated with kindness and respect by everyone, and we felt like we had been welcomed into an extended family. Every effort was made to accommodate our requests and wishes and yet we did not feel like we were being hovered over. On the contrary, it often it felt like no one else was about, other than us. Of course, we knew that all we had to do was to pick up the cell phone (a wonderful convenience) and call, if we needed anything. We will never forget sitting on our deck while enjoying a bottle of wine and one delicious dinner after another.
I feel like I have known Anna personally ever since we began corresponding by email last fall, and it was wonderful to finally get to meet her in person. She is as delightful as I had anticipated she would be. I am afraid to name other staff members, for fear of inadvertently leaving anyone out. Please rest assured though, that everyone was wonderful and they ALL deserve kudos for the work that they do. Please let them all know that we said so.
It was also a treat for us to meet you personally, Gregor. We truly appreciated you stopping by to say hello and to enquire if there was anything else we needed and also for stopping in to say goodbye and ask us about our stay. It is obvious that you take great pride in Secret Bay, and rightfully so. We wish you continued success, as Secret Bay expands and grows and becomes better known to the rest of the world. Right now we like to think of it as our secret.
Secret Bay is a multifaceted jewel and we feel very privileged to have experienced it.
Mark Pierce & Kay Ely-Pierce
I hope that this letter speaks for itself. We were very pleased, and Secret Bay obviously exceeded our expectations. If you plan to visit Dominica and rent a car (as we did) I highly recommend that you rent as small a vehicle as possible. The roads are generally very narrow and there are many blind curves. Plan to drive slowly and nonaggressively and yield to other traffic freely. Be alert at all times and expect the unexpected. When I mentioned to Gregor how many new gray hairs I had acquired, he laughed and asked me how many I had given the other drivers! If you don’t rent a car, there are many small buses that travel all over the island, or the staff at Secret Bay can arrange various excursions for you. Dominica is a beautiful island with very warm and friendly people who, when engaged, are happy to give directions, etc. As tempting as it may be to totally relax at Secret Bay, I would urge you to get out and explore as much as you can. An EXCELLENT resource is the book Dominica, by Paul Crask. We had actually ordered it before our departure, but it did not arrive in time. There was, however, a copy of it included in the library of our bungalow at Secret Bay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the unspoilt nature island of Dominica, Secret Bay offers sustainable luxury villas and bungalows and is the perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or the secluded holiday of a lifetime. Situated on a cliff-top overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay is unique in its diversity: two beaches, the magical Cario River, a spectacular sea cave and two distinct micro-climates. Secret Bay is becoming known as one of the best boutique resorts in the Caribbean - and indeed the world - for honeymoons, anniversaries, small family escapes and adventure vacations. In 2013 Secret Bay was chosen as the number one luxury resort in Caribbean by Islands Magazine; and its Zabuco Honeymoon Villa was voted as having the 3rd sexiest bedroom in the world at the Smiths Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Secret Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Bay Hotel Portsmouth
- Secret Bay Dominica/Portsmouth