“Honeymoon of my Dreams! :)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Secret Bay

Secret Bay
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Portsmouth
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Honeymoon of my Dreams! :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I spent 5 nights in the Ti Fey bungalow. It was the most amazing week ever!!! We couldn’t have dreamed up anything better for our honeymoon.

The bungalow itself was PERFECT. It felt like staying in a luxury treehouse, with a lovely view and the perfect amount of space—it wasn’t too small at all. It was actually the best place I’ve ever stayed. We only got a few mosquito bites around the bungalow, all outdoors….it wasn’t an issue at all! (But definitely bring bug spray for any excursions into the mountains or forest.) I noticed another reviewer stating that there wasn't much of a view, only trees--I completely disagree! We could see the ocean right from bed and hear the waves when we woke up the morning, and the vivid green treetops around us were beautiful, too.

The food at Secret Bay is just amazing. We requested the organic breakfast basket, which contained enough fresh, homemade food to last us all 5 mornings. When going to bed, I remember actually being excited to wake up in the morning so we could eat breakfast! For lunch and dinner, Roslyn and Maggie cooked up some DELICIOUS meals. This included a beautifully prepared steak garnished with breadfruit, yummy barbecued chicken, and a brunch including heart-shaped biscuits and chocolate-chip muffins! Mmm.

Since we were getting such great food, including rum, champagne, and a seemingly endless supply of fresh juice (SO GOOD!), we worried a little bit about what the food bill would look like. We absolutely shouldn’t have been concerned—we were shocked by how reasonable and low-priced the bill was.

One day, Anna arranged for us to take a romantic boat ride up the Indian River, with a picnic lunch provided by Secret Bay. This was wonderful—Fire, our guide, was knowledgeable and so much fun. And we almost had the river to ourselves—we only passed two other boats the whole way. I’m sure it gets crowded during tourist season, but we loved the relaxed feeling of the “off-season.” Some scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean were filmed on this river, and we stopped at the bar where some of the crew used to have lunch—so cool!

Anna also organized a full day of excursions for us. She made it so easy to figure out what to do! We hiked to Middleham Falls and Trafalgar Falls, snorkeled at Champagne Beach, and then soaked in the hot sulfur springs at Soufriere. I would recommend this to anyone! The first hike to Middleham Falls (a “moderate” level hike) definitely gave us a workout, and you should definitely bring tennis shoes or hiking shoes with decent grip on the bottom. But it was so worth the hike—swimming at the falls was a thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime experience. The hot springs weren’t as exciting as the other three destinations, but it was definitely the perfect way to relax and unwind after an incredible, busy day.

Like others have said, the people are truly what make Secret Bay so amazing. Anna was amazing at checking in with us and helping us organize excursions. She made everything on my wishlist come true! She’s such a sweet, caring person and is doing an amazing job. During the week, my mom sneakily called Secret Bay (from Michigan, USA) because she wanted to surprise my husband and I with something special. Anna talked with her and arranged a romantic, delicious brunch to be served on our balcony. It was so sweet and definitely surprised us!

Our “bungalow attendants,” Roslyn and Maggie, were both just so sweet and gifted. We enjoyed talking with them, and they are superb cooks! I will never forget the desserts: banana brownies, pineapple cheesecake, fresh fruit tarts, and more. Just, oh my gosh. Since returning home, I have googled recipes for banana brownies and pineapple cheesecake, but it's not the same—I would recommend paying the little bit extra (at least, I THINK it costs extra, but I’m not sure) to have a meal cooked right there in your bungalow, as opposed to having the meal brought from the Souce Shack and served. We didn’t think of doing this, and we still loved the whole experience, but it would’ve been awesome to see how some of that delicious food was prepared.

We’re so thankful we got to spend the first week of our marriage at Secret Bay. It was a dream come true—thank you SO much to Anna, Roslyn, Maggie, Vincent, Ryan, and everyone else who allowed us to have the best honeymoon ever! You are all doing a wonderful job, and we really, really hope we'll be able to come back some day! Blessings to you all :)
-Lindy and Phil

Room Tip: The Ti Fey bungalow is perfect....luxurious and cozy at the same time! I honestly think the big hone...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I see that most Secret Bay guests are North American, so it's time for a British perspective.

An overdue review since we stayed at Zing Zing Villa the second week in July but we've been busy watching Team GB win lots of medals. Actually, the real reason is that life back at home is hectic which leads me neatly into describing my most lasting impression of our stay at Secret Bay: it has an incredibly calming effect.

The location is stunning and tranquil; as others have remarked in their reviews, the villas are private and are designed so that sitting on the verandah means one is amid the tree canopy as well as having views of the sea. All the staff were friendly, sincere, and calm - which had a very positive effect on our metropolitan mindset. The service to guests was the best I have ever experienced. The owners, Gregor and Sandra are lovely people and Anna of course is deservedly singled out for high praise by other reviewers. In organising our excursions she really thought about what we might like and effectively put herself in our shoes in making the choices.

We required a doctor for one of our party while we were there due to a minor illness and Anna excelled herself - a doctor's visit to the villa was organised within a couple of hours, medicines ordered and delivered, and there was genuine concern from Gregor and Anna. It was an entirely hassle free holiday.

My two teenage children (aged 17 and 16) had a great time - scuba diving, hiking, sulphur baths, waterfalls, kayaking, the bat cave, horse-riding, dolphin viewing - all organised for us by Anna.

The excursion with Dr Birdy was brilliant and in the space of a week, I saw over 17 different species of birds - the island is nature at its most beautiful, the idyllic picture of every tourist's dream.

So in conclusion: luxury, relaxation, beauty and fun. Last message to all at Secret Bay: please just keep doing what you're doing - at least until we can return!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband and I spent unfortunately only 4 nights at the ZingZing villa. We could have stayed for a month! Anna and the entire staff went out of their way to make sure our stay was fantastic. We did numerous tours and each guide and place was more special than the next. The food was delicious and it was so relaxing not having to go out and be able enjoy the sights and sounds from our balcony. Everything we asked for was taken care of and Anna had great ideas to make the stay special -- from a private concert to massages on the veranda to a tour of the Indigo Art Gallery. I agree with the other reviewers saying that if shopping and eating at five-star restaurants are part of your vacation Dominica isn't for you. HOWEVER, if beautiful nature, special people; and a gorgeous hotel is -- then Secret Bay is for you.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Our family went to Secret Bay with another family. Four adults and 4 teens. It was perfect! The kids shared a Villa and each set of parents had a bungalow. We ate our dinners on the awesome Villa terrace overlooking the ocean. The chefs prepared what ever we asked for and introduced us to some wonderful local cuisine.

There was so much to do on the island that we wished we had stayed more than the 5 days because we would have liked a little down time. Secret Bay has many wonderful lounge areas to sit and read a book or just enjoy the view and you can kayak to a stunning private beach just 5 minutes away.

Anna helped find the best adventures and guides and took care of all of our needs. When we needed more white wine or snacks, she made it magically appear. Some how, she always knew when we needed more beach towels. Gregor and Sandra, the owners of Secret Bay, dropped by discretely but often to ensure all was well. They are so delightful and interesting that we asked them to join us with their young children for dinner on "our" Villa terrace.

The contemporary but welcoming architecture is very special and makes the experience even more worthwhile. Every little detail was considered. There are little flaws in the construction, which is typical of an island that doesn't usually cater to high-end design, but the flaws made it more charming.

Although we were happy with everything we did and saw on Dominica, I would like to warn people who want high end food that this is not the island for you. The food was fresh and well prepared but the island isn't highly developed so there aren't places to eat fine meals. But if you want adventure, wonderful people, beautiful design and good service, you will not be disappointed.

All 8 of us want to go back.

Room Tip: Our family had both the Bungalows and Villa. All are amazingly beautiful, have outstanding views an...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank OrganicModern
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

What can I say? I'm furthering every other Trip Advisor's comment noting that I'm semi-bummed that this property might not be a "secret" much longer.

My wife and I just stayed 5 days at the Zabucco Honeymoon Villa. It was AMAZING. The near-360 degree view from the deck and beautiful property were immaculately represented online. We felt as if we were kings and queens of the waters below us (without a negative colonial connotation obviously). During one of our excursions on the water as we took the boat back, all you could see was Secret Bay's properties overhanging the gorgeous cliffs and we knew that we were home.

The staff there was incredibly helpful. Anna is a gem of a host, explaining to us the island, making and organizing detailed itineraries, adding special touches to each and every request, etc. Delo was greatly accommodating and took care of us the entire time. Also need to give a shout out to our man Ergell from the security crew who was appropriately tasked to making us different types of delicious rum punches each day. Love that the staff noticed we were drinkers and put the right man on the job for us. His "wickedness" got us through the beginnings of Tropical Storm Ernesto.

Learned alot about the island and the guides that Anna assigned to our excursions were well picked. My wife sometimes gets car sick and Bertrand professionally maneuvered the hills and windy roads to minimize any discomfort. Fyre took us up the Indian River and was very knowledgeable about the wildlife, flora, and fauna. And Don took us on a snorkeling expedition north of Portsmouth Bay and on the way back we were treated to some very cool sights including many of his family and friends co-opting a large fish netting operation. Some stuff that you just wouldn't see in other places.

My wife had an amazing massage on the deck. We checked out Trafalgar Falls, Emerald Pool, and toured Roseau.

Secret Bay allows you the opportunity to stay completely relaxed and private (all of the units were booked and we didn't see anyone until the taxi home at the end of the week), but also allows you to be active and soak up the glory of this relatively untouched island.

We can't wait to make it back.

2 Thank piddonkadonk
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Secret Bay's Zabuco villa for five nights, and we could not have imagined a more special time. Aside from being incredibly picturesque and beautiful, the resort's staff is really first-class. Whatever we needed or wanted was available to us, and we were treated courteously throughout our stay. Everyone was warm and welcoming and did everything they could to make sure we had a nice time at Secret Bay. It's really a magical place, and we hope to return one day in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SR T
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 6 day stay at Secret Bay. We had been looking online for a while for a Honeymoon destination and couldnt find anything that stood out to us. My Husband came across Secret Bay and I immediately fell inlove. It was like nothing I had ever seen and I knew I had to go to this beautiful place. And boy was that a good decision. Secret Bay surpassed everything that we have experienced on prior trips. The pictures do not do this place justice. We stayed in the Zabuco honeymoon villa. The villa was gorgeous and contained everything and anything you could possibly need. We had our own private pool which we were enjoyed everyday during our stay. A full kitchen, a large bedroom with a freestanding bathtub and two person shower. All the walls inside the villa are foldable if you want to let in a breeze off the water, which is another feature that makes Secret Bay so unique. Also, if you are feeling like a night in, there is a satellite TV and a bookshelf full of DVDs and books! One of the breathtaking features of the Zabuco Villa is the 180 degree ocean view. We were able to sit on our deck and watch the sun rise and set everynight, which was absolutely beautiful. Not only we were surrounded by beautiful landsape and a gorgeous villa but the staff at Secret Bay were top notch. Ana was a great help, she will plan day trips, dinners at local restaurants and coordinate your stay with a smile on her face the entire time. Our attendant Megan delivered unbelievable sevice, and lets just say we never went hungry at Secret Bay. Amazing Amazing AMAZING cook, anything from steak and potatos, to lamp chop with stuff peppers, to homemade pineapple ice cream. Absolutely wonderful food! Everyday she would come and clean our villa, the place was spotless thanks to Megan. If you felt like getting out of the villa for a while there is a beach attached where you can take out kayak's and snorkel gear at your leisure! Everything about this place set it apart from typical resorts! We were a little nervous at the end of our stay for the food bill, considering we ate like royalty while we were there. But once again they do not disappoint, incredible food for 6 days at a very reasonable price! Secret Bay is by far the most beautiful place we have ever been. Everything about it was beyond 5 star service! If your planning a trip and want something a little different from the usual resort, Secret Bay is a place for you! Trust me it will be the best decision you will make!! We cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angel M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Pagua Bay House Oceanfront Cabanas
Calibishie Cove
Calibishie Cove
#1 of 3 in Calibishie
The Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Secret Bay? Share your experiences!