My husband and I spent 5 nights in the Ti Fey bungalow. It was the most amazing week ever!!! We couldn’t have dreamed up anything better for our honeymoon.
The bungalow itself was PERFECT. It felt like staying in a luxury treehouse, with a lovely view and the perfect amount of space—it wasn’t too small at all. It was actually the best place I’ve ever stayed. We only got a few mosquito bites around the bungalow, all outdoors….it wasn’t an issue at all! (But definitely bring bug spray for any excursions into the mountains or forest.) I noticed another reviewer stating that there wasn't much of a view, only trees--I completely disagree! We could see the ocean right from bed and hear the waves when we woke up the morning, and the vivid green treetops around us were beautiful, too.
The food at Secret Bay is just amazing. We requested the organic breakfast basket, which contained enough fresh, homemade food to last us all 5 mornings. When going to bed, I remember actually being excited to wake up in the morning so we could eat breakfast! For lunch and dinner, Roslyn and Maggie cooked up some DELICIOUS meals. This included a beautifully prepared steak garnished with breadfruit, yummy barbecued chicken, and a brunch including heart-shaped biscuits and chocolate-chip muffins! Mmm.
Since we were getting such great food, including rum, champagne, and a seemingly endless supply of fresh juice (SO GOOD!), we worried a little bit about what the food bill would look like. We absolutely shouldn’t have been concerned—we were shocked by how reasonable and low-priced the bill was.
One day, Anna arranged for us to take a romantic boat ride up the Indian River, with a picnic lunch provided by Secret Bay. This was wonderful—Fire, our guide, was knowledgeable and so much fun. And we almost had the river to ourselves—we only passed two other boats the whole way. I’m sure it gets crowded during tourist season, but we loved the relaxed feeling of the “off-season.” Some scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean were filmed on this river, and we stopped at the bar where some of the crew used to have lunch—so cool!
Anna also organized a full day of excursions for us. She made it so easy to figure out what to do! We hiked to Middleham Falls and Trafalgar Falls, snorkeled at Champagne Beach, and then soaked in the hot sulfur springs at Soufriere. I would recommend this to anyone! The first hike to Middleham Falls (a “moderate” level hike) definitely gave us a workout, and you should definitely bring tennis shoes or hiking shoes with decent grip on the bottom. But it was so worth the hike—swimming at the falls was a thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime experience. The hot springs weren’t as exciting as the other three destinations, but it was definitely the perfect way to relax and unwind after an incredible, busy day.
Like others have said, the people are truly what make Secret Bay so amazing. Anna was amazing at checking in with us and helping us organize excursions. She made everything on my wishlist come true! She’s such a sweet, caring person and is doing an amazing job. During the week, my mom sneakily called Secret Bay (from Michigan, USA) because she wanted to surprise my husband and I with something special. Anna talked with her and arranged a romantic, delicious brunch to be served on our balcony. It was so sweet and definitely surprised us!
Our “bungalow attendants,” Roslyn and Maggie, were both just so sweet and gifted. We enjoyed talking with them, and they are superb cooks! I will never forget the desserts: banana brownies, pineapple cheesecake, fresh fruit tarts, and more. Just, oh my gosh. Since returning home, I have googled recipes for banana brownies and pineapple cheesecake, but it's not the same—I would recommend paying the little bit extra (at least, I THINK it costs extra, but I’m not sure) to have a meal cooked right there in your bungalow, as opposed to having the meal brought from the Souce Shack and served. We didn’t think of doing this, and we still loved the whole experience, but it would’ve been awesome to see how some of that delicious food was prepared.
We’re so thankful we got to spend the first week of our marriage at Secret Bay. It was a dream come true—thank you SO much to Anna, Roslyn, Maggie, Vincent, Ryan, and everyone else who allowed us to have the best honeymoon ever! You are all doing a wonderful job, and we really, really hope we'll be able to come back some day! Blessings to you all :)
-Lindy and Phil
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the unspoilt nature island of Dominica, Secret Bay offers sustainable luxury villas and bungalows and is the perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or the secluded holiday of a lifetime. Situated on a cliff-top overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay is unique in its diversity: two beaches, the magical Cario River, a spectacular sea cave and two distinct micro-climates. Secret Bay is becoming known as one of the best boutique resorts in the Caribbean - and indeed the world - for honeymoons, anniversaries, small family escapes and adventure vacations. In 2013 Secret Bay was chosen as the number one luxury resort in Caribbean by Islands Magazine; and its Zabuco Honeymoon Villa was voted as having the 3rd sexiest bedroom in the world at the Smiths Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, MrandMrsSmith, Hotels.com, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Secret Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Bay Hotel Portsmouth
- Secret Bay Dominica/Portsmouth