I see that most Secret Bay guests are North American, so it's time for a British perspective.
An overdue review since we stayed at Zing Zing Villa the second week in July but we've been busy watching Team GB win lots of medals. Actually, the real reason is that life back at home is hectic which leads me neatly into describing my most lasting impression of our stay at Secret Bay: it has an incredibly calming effect.
The location is stunning and tranquil; as others have remarked in their reviews, the villas are private and are designed so that sitting on the verandah means one is amid the tree canopy as well as having views of the sea. All the staff were friendly, sincere, and calm - which had a very positive effect on our metropolitan mindset. The service to guests was the best I have ever experienced. The owners, Gregor and Sandra are lovely people and Anna of course is deservedly singled out for high praise by other reviewers. In organising our excursions she really thought about what we might like and effectively put herself in our shoes in making the choices.
We required a doctor for one of our party while we were there due to a minor illness and Anna excelled herself - a doctor's visit to the villa was organised within a couple of hours, medicines ordered and delivered, and there was genuine concern from Gregor and Anna. It was an entirely hassle free holiday.
My two teenage children (aged 17 and 16) had a great time - scuba diving, hiking, sulphur baths, waterfalls, kayaking, the bat cave, horse-riding, dolphin viewing - all organised for us by Anna.
The excursion with Dr Birdy was brilliant and in the space of a week, I saw over 17 different species of birds - the island is nature at its most beautiful, the idyllic picture of every tourist's dream.
So in conclusion: luxury, relaxation, beauty and fun. Last message to all at Secret Bay: please just keep doing what you're doing - at least until we can return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the unspoilt nature island of Dominica, Secret Bay offers sustainable luxury villas and bungalows and is the perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or the secluded holiday of a lifetime. Situated on a cliff-top overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay is unique in its diversity: two beaches, the magical Cario River, a spectacular sea cave and two distinct micro-climates. Secret Bay is becoming known as one of the best boutique resorts in the Caribbean - and indeed the world - for honeymoons, anniversaries, small family escapes and adventure vacations. In 2013 Secret Bay was chosen as the number one luxury resort in Caribbean by Islands Magazine; and its Zabuco Honeymoon Villa was voted as having the 3rd sexiest bedroom in the world at the Smiths Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Secret Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Bay Hotel Portsmouth
- Secret Bay Dominica/Portsmouth