We stayed at Secret Bay for 10 nights in March 2012, 9 in the Zabuco Honeymoon Villa and 1 night in the Tibay bungalow.
Everything, and I mean everything about this place is amazing. Gregor the owner picked us up at the airport and we arrived in the evening where a very nice home cooked dinner awaited us.
Zabuco is massive, one could easily live in it permanently. The bedroom has a wonderfully large and comfortable bed and you have a free-standing bath tub facing West if you fancy having a bath whilst watching the sunset. You will also find a double shower that can open up to the outside so that you have the view and the fresh air. The air conditioning unit is very good and has a quiet setting for night time
The second room is the living room and an open plan kitchen (Siemens appliances with all the mod cons you want, including an espresso/coffee maker, fridge/freezer combination and ice cube machine. All very spacious with windows all around.
The highlight for us was the massive veranda and we only discovered its full magic the first morning in daylight: 180 degrees views over the Carribbean Sea and Portsmouth... and at night a magical ceiling of stars. We spent most of our time we were home (it did feel like that) on that veranda as it has very comfy sofas and the big dining table where we had all our meals.
Talking about meals: The villa comes with a cooking service that is excellent. Just tell Anna (more about her later) when you would like to have breakfast, lunch or dinner and what you fancy and they will dish up truly delicious meals. We opted for local dishes every time and loved it.
You also have access to free kayaks, snorkeling gear and other kit to make the most of their two beaches, Tibay and Secret Bay which you can only access by kayak or swimming there. Snorkeling around Secret Bay is good and especially the coral life is great (for the best snorkeling take a trip South to Champagne Beach and La Soufriere).
So the accommodation and location is very special but what made our stay outstanding was the service and the personal attention by Anna, who is managing Secret Bay, Gregor, the owner and the entire staff. They are there for your well-being 24/7! At the beginning you get a local mobile phone you could use anywhere on the island for free and the numbers of all staff and especially Anna and Gregor are programmed and they urge you to make use of it whenever you feel like it. And they not just say that, they mean it! I have never experienced anything like it.
Anna is also organising anything your heart desires - from trips or personal guides to restaurant reservations or whatever you can think of. She is also great with her personal tips for bars, restaurants or excursions. The best example I can give is that she recommended a local shack on the beach in Portsmouth that is her personal favourite, called Monty's. And Monty's provides you with a truly authentic and happiness-inducing Dominican experience: He grills his fish and provides a few simple accompaniments and it is mouthwateringly tasty. He is also doing his own rum punch (a MUST to try) and we had such a perfect evening that when we returned, were sitting on the veranda, glazing into the stars I thought life could not get much better than this... and spontaneously proposed to my girlfriend there and then. Ans she said YES! So we have Anna and Monty to thank for that.
Later in our stay we also wanted to make use of the downstairs pool area with a grill. So Rose, one of their amazing cooks, prepared a fish and chicken local BBQ for us and I asked Anna to make this dinner special and romantic... and boy did she deliver! Not only did the place look romantic with all the candles but she also hired to very nice local girls who sang and danced for us in honor of our engagement... and when we returned to bed she secretly covered it in flower pedals. This sums it up: Everyone goes out of their way to make your stay truly unforgettable and everyone does it with a big smile as if it was their hobby and not their job.
I could go on and on with these praises but I think everyone got the picture by now.
We want to come back as soon as possible and we also promised to come back for our 10th wedding anniversary!
Thanks Anna, Gregor, Rose and everyone at Secret Bay for the best holiday ever! We miss you!
Vince & Sayo
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the unspoilt nature island of Dominica, Secret Bay offers sustainable luxury villas and bungalows and is the perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or the secluded holiday of a lifetime. Situated on a cliff-top overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay is unique in its diversity: two beaches, the magical Cario River, a spectacular sea cave and two distinct micro-climates. Secret Bay is becoming known as one of the best boutique resorts in the Caribbean - and indeed the world - for honeymoons, anniversaries, small family escapes and adventure vacations. In 2013 Secret Bay was chosen as the number one luxury resort in Caribbean by Islands Magazine; and its Zabuco Honeymoon Villa was voted as having the 3rd sexiest bedroom in the world at the Smiths Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, MrandMrsSmith, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Secret Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Bay Hotel Portsmouth
- Secret Bay Dominica/Portsmouth