Our 5 night stay in Zabuco Villa was an overdue get-away; it had been too long since we had left the children behind and treated ourselves to a rest. The visit from start to finish exceeded our already high expectations. Browse through all of the reviews to catch the universal high praise for Secret Bay. I agree with the: compliments to Gregor for his creativity and thoughtfulness in creating such a magical environment, praise of Anna for her dedication to meeting all of a guest's needs without being intrusive, kudos to Rose for transforming local ingredients into 5 star mouth watering dishes, hats off to Cornell for his equipping guests with kayaks, snorkel gear, water booties, whatever is needed.
We had expected to avail ourselves of the many activities Anna was willing to organize. However, it was soon obvious to us that the deep refreshment offered by the serene views from 3 sides, the warm breezes flowing through the many screened windows and walls which open and close easily to suit, the comfortable seating on the deck, the lounging in the interior living area, the warmth of wooden construction, a soaking tub, the private pool, easy access to the beach, the availability of a kayak and snorkel gear with a moment's notice was just what we needed to have our batteries re-charged. Anna showed us the discrete banner to drop over the stairs to alert staff we were in private-mode. The housekeeping staff swept in whenever we left to enjoy swimming and snorkeling. We developed a little routine of speaking with Anna in the late morning to let her know what we needed. She kept us in full supply of fresh fruit and juices and simple lunch supplies. We'd let her know when we wanted dinner and right on cue, Rose would bring a tray of four or five specialties in containers for us to serve ourselves. Had we not been so desperate for alone time, any of the Secret Bay staff (and Gregor, the owner) would have made great conversation partners. Gregor and Anna have set the standard for guest services that are uniquely intuitive; all of the staff read the cues and chatted or retreated as was appropriate.
One night, Anna arranged for a taxi to come pick us up to go to the Iguana Cafe. Gregor had pointed it out on the drive in from the airport. Gregor, by the way, was an extraordinary driver, probably going a little slower than needed, but we escaped any motion sickness on the windy hour long drive from the airport. We were grateful for the recommendation; the cafe, really a tiny-almost-shack on the side of the beach in Portsmouth, seated 8 people or so on picnic tables. We were the only ones there and the food was outstanding...even worth missing a night of scrumptious food at Secret Bay.
Part way through our trip, I briefly considered that all of the specialized service, the grocery runs, the can-we-have-some-ice-cream? was likely creating many add-ons to our bill. Not so. The final bill was exactly as stated up front with a very modest charge for the grocery items.
We were looking for a nature experience with comfort. What we got, exceeded our brightest hopes and created full memory banks to take us through the year ahead. It would be a dream-come-true to be able to return to Secret Bay. Thanks, Secret Bay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the unspoilt nature island of Dominica, Secret Bay offers sustainable luxury villas and bungalows and is the perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or the secluded holiday of a lifetime. Situated on a cliff-top overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay is unique in its diversity: two beaches, the magical Cario River, a spectacular sea cave and two distinct micro-climates. Secret Bay is becoming known as one of the best boutique resorts in the Caribbean - and indeed the world - for honeymoons, anniversaries, small family escapes and adventure vacations. In 2013 Secret Bay was chosen as the number one luxury resort in Caribbean by Islands Magazine; and its Zabuco Honeymoon Villa was voted as having the 3rd sexiest bedroom in the world at the Smiths Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, MrandMrsSmith, Hotels.com, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Secret Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Bay Hotel Portsmouth
- Secret Bay Dominica/Portsmouth