My husband and I travel to the Caribbean about once a year, and try to visit a different location each time. We were looking for a relaxing, rejuvenating and naturally beautiful place to stay and were intrigued by Dominica and Secret Bay.
From the moment we landed until we checked in for our flight home, Gregor & Sandra, Anastasia and all the staff at Secret Bay made us feel welcome and allowed us to enjoy our vacation without a worry. After our first night at Secret Bay, our first order of business was to extend our stay, which we did!
We’ve never stayed anywhere like Secret Bay – where you can feel completely secluded, yet anything you required was a phone call away. The level of service is beyond compare. We often felt like we were the only guests, and the layout of Secret Bay allows for this. The bungalows and villas are sited so well, nestled into the ridge, each one is barely visible from the other. The walkways, paths and decks are designed with respect for the existing terrain and the native plantings are beautiful.
We stayed in the Mapou Bungalow, which was a perfect size for us, with every convenience you may need. Perched among the trees, with the floor-to ceiling windows, we were treated to breathtaking views from every room. We spent mornings on the balcony drinking coffee and enjoying the views across the bay, and quiet evenings eating dinner by candlelight listening to the sound of the waves.
The meals were all delicious and made with the freshest, local ingredients. I’m a gluten-free eater and my husband is not, but the cooks at Secret Bay provided us with amazing breakfasts and dinners we both enjoyed. Throughout our stay, the refrigerator was stocked with fresh juices and anything else we requested. Having the kitchen in the bungalow allowed us to snack, make coffee (or drinks in the blender) whenever we felt like it.
We enjoyed several hiking outings organized by Anastasia that allowed us to maximize our experience of this beautiful island given our short stay. Our guides were extremely knowledgeable and friendly, and they took us to places off the beaten path (where we rarely saw a tour bus). While we loved the hiking excursions and exploring Dominica, it was also nice to stay put and enjoy the beauty of Secret Bay. One of our favorite things to do was to kayak over to the beach in the afternoon, swim and relax in the sand, then watch the sun set over the water. It was like having our own private beach - we never saw another person!
We enjoyed meeting everyone that makes Secret Bay the amazing place it is. After our week-long stay, we were sad to leave. Secret Bay far exceeded our expectations – the concept, the level of service, the setting, the bungalow, the meals and certainly the beach. We’ve never said we wanted to return to a place we’ve already been until we stayed at Secret Bay. It is truly a special place, and we’re looking forward to another trip to Secret Bay and Dominica soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away on the unspoilt nature island of Dominica, Secret Bay offers sustainable luxury villas and bungalows and is the perfect place for a honeymoon, anniversary or the secluded holiday of a lifetime. Situated on a cliff-top overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay is unique in its diversity: two beaches, the magical Cario River, a spectacular sea cave and two distinct micro-climates. Secret Bay is becoming known as one of the best boutique resorts in the Caribbean - and indeed the world - for honeymoons, anniversaries, small family escapes and adventure vacations. In 2013 Secret Bay was chosen as the number one luxury resort in Caribbean by Islands Magazine; and its Zabuco Honeymoon Villa was voted as having the 3rd sexiest bedroom in the world at the Smiths Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, MrandMrsSmith, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Secret Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Bay Hotel Portsmouth
- Secret Bay Dominica/Portsmouth