Where do I start? My wife and I only stayed here two nights but we really got the sense that with a little planning we could have been here for much longer. I'll start off by saying that the views are outstanding perhaps the best that you don't have to hike to. The kitchen inside is pretty well stocked with all the pots, pans, and utensils (lacking a french press) but otherwise has everything you will need to cook for yourself and with fresh ingredients at the bottom of the hill and in Portsmouth literally a 10 min drive you will do well to provide for yourself rather than go out for every single meal. If you don't cook there is a great creole restaurant at the bottom of the hill as well and plenty more in Portsmouth. The shower is great provided you make sure you understand solar, the water bed is very comfortable-you will be surprised! the layout of the tree house is a splendid octagon constructed above ground out of local wood (no scarring the landscape here) Many places claim to be "eco" but Manicou is the real deal. There is plenty to do locally even at the bottom of the hill-fantastic snorkeling on Douglas Bay, the trails at the Cabrits national park etc. etc. plus Portsmouth is a fairly lively place and not far from Morne Diaboltin national park which is a fantastic hiking/scenic option and nowhere as busy as the Roseau valley. The owners Tess and Kevin are truly genuine about wanting their guests to enjoy themselves and although you will feel alone in your private tree house you feel good knowing that they and their sweet dogs are around. FYI try not be in your treehouse in the late afternoon as the sun will be beaming directly on you. Also don't be intimidated by the road up there after the first time it seems like an ordinary road in Dominica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT SINCE APRIL 2013. Manicou River is a collection of hand-crafted wooden cottages perched on the mountainside high above Douglas Bay and the Cabrits National Park on the beautiful, pristine island of Dominica. Our view is one of the best on the island, taking in mountains, the Caribbean Sea and the small town of Portsmouth below. We offer a simple, relaxing, nature experience with just the right touches of luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Manicou River reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Manicou River Eco Hotel Portsmouth
- Manicou River Dominica/Portsmouth