Firstly I must quickly say to those who have never been to Dominica, don't hesitate any longer. We have travelled to over 50 countries in the last 12 years and Dominica rates as one of the most beautiful we have seen - and thats saying something. We were primarilly in the Caribbean to do some diving and we spent our first 8 days in St. Vincent., which was also great. However after 2 or 3 days on Dominica we all but forgot that we had ever been anywhere else as we were completely captivated by both the sea life and the unbelievable island all around us.
We luckily chose the De Champ upon a recommendation from the local dive school. We found ourselves at an establishment which can acurately be described as a 'boutique' hotel. There are only 5 rooms, all of which are at a high standard. Our room was enormous and the very modern bathroom had twin sinks and a whole body shower unit. Our bed was american siz, i.e. gigantic. We had a safe and more than adequate storage for our clothes. There was a nicely stocked mini bar. The ooks out over the gorgeous bay at Picard/Portsmouth. The view is spectacular. The bar was often nicely busy as many of the students from the nearby Ross Medical School use the bar as a place to meet. This was never a problem and it leant a buxx or atmosphere to the place which was welcome. The hotel serves pretty decent food too although there are plenty of good quality eateries around within a 5 or 10 minute walk. The hosts are Dutch, Lise and Hans, and theye were both the most friendly and helpful pair you could ever meet. Indeed all of the staff were excellent at all times. We will be coming back, because we need to spend much more time exploring the island, as one week is just not enough. This is not the place for those that love lying on beaches though although the sea is incredibly warm. There are plenty of beaches around but the island just doesn't 'do' hotels with beach fronts, at least not of any great quality. All in all its a big big yes to both Dominica and the De Champ.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched high upon the Picard hillside is the Award Winning Hotel The Champs. While you stay in your perfectly sited 3-star room with sea view and balcony, our smiling staff will provide you with 5-star personal service. This remarkable place overlooks the calm Caribbean Sea, the colonial town of Portsmouth and the gorgeous green hills of the Cabrits National Park. The beach is just 5 minutes down the hill. Its hospitable treatment to clients brings guests from far and wide to its welcoming doors. Combined with this mini paradise is its highly popular restaurant and cocktail bar, lush flower garden, relaxing leisure and jacuzzi area, parking lot and local shuttle service. A perfect place for adventure vacations, couple escapes, visitors to Ross University, business trips and a gem for weddings and honeymooners. Begin each day with our delightful breakfast-to-order; spend each day experiencing another island activity; end each day sipping on a cocktail gazing at the magnificent sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Priceline, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfortel De Champ Hotel Portsmouth
- The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar Dominica/Portsmouth