“Wonderful Honeymoon!”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Portsmouth
Savannah, Georgia
“Wonderful Honeymoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

What a wonderful place to spend our Honeymoon! Where do I begin??? Allan was at the airport (with a personalized sign) to pick us up. He did a great job of educating us on local customs and life on the drive back. Lise was there to greet us and show us our rooms, etc. There are only 5 rooms, so you get great personalized service. They provide a complimentary cell phone with pre-programmed numbers for De Champs in case you need anything. They also provide complimentary beach towels and snorkeling equipment. Luke and Shelvin were great at arranging things for us, including a rental car. They will arrange tours of different areas around the island, or provide great information if you want to explore yourself (which we did and loved it all!). Lazia and/or Annie were there with a smile on their faces every morning for breakfast...which consists of fresh fruit, fresh-squeezed juice and your choice of eggs, bacon, ham, etc. We had omelets every day to give us energy for a busy day of exploring this beautiful island! Ike and the ladies at the bar/restaurant are friendly and helpful. De Champs is one of the best places on the island to see the beautiful sunset! The jacuzzi area is great and includes satellite tv, a sitting area and a hammock.
The local people are friendly and helpful if you happen to get a little lost (which is pretty hard to do with only a limited number of roads on the island).
As you can see we loved Dominica and the Comfortel De Champ! We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: There are 3 regular rooms and 2 deluxe rooms. We enjoyed the extra sitting area of the deluxe room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Comfortel-De-Champ, Owner at The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Honeymooners, it was a pleasure having you here. Thanks for the great review and the beautiful picture of the cocktails with the night view. Congratulations once again with your marriage and we do hope to see you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Polish first
fonthill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

There really isn't much to choose from in terms of accomodations in Dominica - especially in the northern section. I was taking a chance when I booked us into Comfortel de champs. What a pleasant surprise! Right from the airport pickup and continued throughout the stay there. The views are spectacular. The rooms spacious and clean including the bathrooms. The service is exceptional - we asked how to rent a car and within 15 minutes the rental agency was at the door step - delivering the car! All the staff was friendly and accomodating and funny! All which made the stay memorable! The previous comment about the bar being noisy...yes it can be, but they shut down at midnight (they are closed on Wednesday and some nights the bar shuts down at 9pm!) We were there for a whole week and it was noisy for only one night (end of mid term exams) - I certainly did not think it distracted from our stay at all! I would recommend this place to everyone! and I already have!! The view from my balcony is already the screensaver on my computer!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms have spectacular views and are renoovated to a very high standard.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank susannefonthill
Comfortel-De-Champ, Owner at The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
Thanks Susanne,
We really hope to see you again before your daughter leaves the island.
Encino, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

Although TripAdvisor is my bible for travel, I have never written a review for it. I feel I must now, however, as my recent stay in Dominica was so outstanding due to the hotel Comfortel De Champ. There were other hotels with outstanding reviews on TripAdvisor, but I chose De Champ as it was closest to the Ross University Medical School campus where I was moving my daughter in. Now, without regard to location, I would ONLY stay here.

The brief story began when Lise, the owner along with Hans, gave me a wealth of information by phone months prior to my arrival, having nothing to do with the hotel! Already I felt at home.

Then, upon arrival I was surprised to be personally and warmly welcomed, receive a cell phone free of use on the island and be offered a 'welcome' cocktail gratis each night of my stay. Although De Champs offers to drive you anywhere for dinner, shopping or sightseeing, I chose to eat each evening in their outdoor dining area, enjoying friendly people, drinks and an unsurpassed view. I did enjoy their complimentary shuttle up the hill after a day of sightseeing though!

The rooms are spacious and clean....I had no complaints. If you're bringing your 'adult child' to Ross, check out: http://parentsofrossmed.blogspot.com for helpful hints. You'll also see nice shots of De Champs as well as the view from there. Regardless of your reason for visiting the magnificent island of Dominica, I highly recommend De Champs!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Randi S
Comfortel-De-Champ, Owner at The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Thanks EncinoAces for your raving review. We're very happy that we've been able to give you such a convincing service that you decided to write your first review on TripAdvisor.
We hope to see you again during the time your daughter studies at Ross University.
Johnston, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

the bar was very noisy and I was kept awake till 2:30 every morning

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank j m
Chesterfield, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

Very customer friendly. The view from the front rooms overlook the town, Ross University and the Caribbean Ocean. We will stay there again. The staff is very knowledgeable and helpful.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank heliwally
Lise_van_de_Kamp, Owner at The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, January 14, 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review. We are happy that you loved our ambiance. It is good to know that you felt our staff very helpful.

We hope to have you spend some time with us again in the near future.

texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

Comfortel De Champ gave my father and I an amazing experience in Dominica. I will be beginning medical school at Ross in September and stayed at the Comfortel while touring the school and the island. Hans and Lise were wonderful hosts with incredible insight on student life. I spent each night of my stay at the hotel's restaurant and bar. The food was magnificent and because it was so close to the school, it was filled with Ross students every night who were extremely willing to share the experience at Ross and tips for me. My experience here was 5-star service!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Lise_van_de_Kamp, Owner at The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, January 22, 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you for a great review. We are happy that you spent so much time at our place and that you were comfortable being with us.

It is also good to know that your father had an amazing experience with us. Thank you for your compliment of our Hosts; Lise and Hans.

We do hope that both you and your father will visit our Hotel again in the near future.

New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

The only place I would stay in this area. Only have 5 rooms. We like the upstairs units for view. The corner is the best. Spacious room with lovely bathroom, in room safe, cable TV, mini frig (stocked), etc. Wonderful new jacuzzi tub. Breakfast made to order. They also provide a local cell for use which is awesome. They can arrange transportation and tours. They are very accommodating and treat you like friends, not just customers. The ONLY minus is it is quite a steep hill to walk up to the location but they actually have arranged for a car to run up and down from the main street at night for a minimal fee. Very fun open air bar on location as well. The music did not bother us when we went to bed before they closed. Great place. We loved it.

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd floor room, preferably the far corner
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Lise_van_de_Kamp, Owner at The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, January 23, 2015
Dear Guest,

We are happy to know that you loved your vacation spent in Dominica at The Champs Hotel. Thank you for your great review.

Thank you for your compliment of our helpfulness and panoramic view. It is good to know that you had and appreciated our entire ambiance and care.

We do hope to welcome you at our Hotel in the future.

Lise
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Secret Bay
The Tamarind Tree Hotel & Restaurant
Calibishie Cove
Calibishie Cove
#1 of 3 in Calibishie

Been to The Champs, Hotel, Restaurant & Bar? Share your experiences!