“Love Posada Sirena!”
Review of Posada Sirena

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Punta Allen
Posada Sirena
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Staying with Sirena is a great place to start your exploration of the Punta Allen/Ascension Bay area. My boyfriend had stayed with her before and took me to Punta Allen for the first time in January. I absolutely loved it! Sirena, along with everyone else I met there was super friendly. For being a small town there is plenty to do (assuming you're into the outdoors and no crowds) and Sirena can hook you up with information regarding anything you could possibly be interested in. We stayed in the Palapa hut and the Casa Chica and loved them both! The garden is beautiful and if you're looking for a cozy, quiet getaway you'll find it here.

Make sure and bring plenty of pesos as there are no banks in town (and the exchange rate is a bit behind the times). Also, the electricity in Punta Allen doesn't come on until evening so keep that in mind. Day trip tourists roll in around 9 AM and are gone by 5 PM so in the evening you'll feel like a local. All of Sirena's rooms have kitchens besides the Palapa Hut but there are several excellent restaurants in town (definitely try the ceviche at any of them). Overall I would definitely recommend Posada Sirena to anyone coming to Punta Allen.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank B_myrna

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We enjoyed our time in low key Punta Allen after dealing with the busy, noisy Americanized Playa del Carmen. Accommodations are simple, and at the time of our visit the town did not have 24-hour electricity. Sirena was a very helpful hostess who seemed genuinely concerned about our comfort and gave us many hints about the town.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Soilsaver
Reviewed March 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Posada Sirena in early February and loved it so much we had to return at the end of our trip (early March.) We stayed in the Palapa Hut which is the only house without a kitchen. We loved it. Clean and everything we could ask for. Sirena instantly clued us in on the small town, told us good places to eat and what we could do. Sirena also made us an appointment the following day with a fisherman (my boyfriend is a big fly fisher.) It was great!!!! Epic infact!! Sirena knew we were on a budget and even comped a night so we could afford another day of fishing on our budget (incredible!) Basically Sirena is a gem, and very experienced in this part of the globe. She has great stories. She is a great hostess, because she is helpful but isn't overwhelming.
I great rustic and extremely safe place to stay! Making reservations are easy as pie, and she connects with the collectivo so the driver expects you are coming.
It's easy. Punta Allen IS a last paradise. When we return she will be the first person we get in contact with!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank suziewoodard
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We stayed at Posada Sirena in Punta Allen for several days after being in busy Playa del Carmen. We loved the small-town of PA with the dogs sleeping in the streets. The Posada is very quaint and charming, a little rustic, but it suited us fine. Sirena is a great hostess -- will help with anything you need, but leaves you alone if you want. The Casa Cielo, where we stayed, is upstairs and has a nice deck, very roomy inside and is charmingly decorated. If you are staying there, you should have Sirena email you excerpts from her journal, so you can read it ahead ot time. She has had an amazing and interesting life.

Room Tip: Since the Casa Cielo is upstairs, it probably had more cross-ventalition and breezes, and we had no...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fishamigo
Reviewed March 10, 2012

So, regarding the accomodations. I stayed in the cabana to the right as you enter the small property of Posada Sirena (forget the name - Casa Something). I have stayed in similar cabana-type accomodations in Tulum, Puerto Morelos, Paamul, and inland Yucatan. I consider this typical for budget Mexico-concrete floor, cinder block/wood walls, peaked thatch roof. My casa was reasonably large with two queen size beds on the left and a sitting area with small desk and futon on the right. Kitchen through an opening on the left with running water in sink and camping cookstove. Small bathroom with toilet, sink and simple shower (with electric heating). Was it dirty? Well, it's dusty, as is the entire town of PA and most of rural Yucatan. I did NOT see anything that was to me unhygienic. These are simple rural accomodations - the town only has power for maybe 8 hours a day! Are there some luxury places in PA? Yes - a couple of the fishing resorts, but you have to be a hard-core fisherman or pay quite a bit to enjoy 24 hour power (via solar and batteries), with AC, etc. Keep in mind - when the electricity goes off at 11 pm, the fans in your room go off too, so be prepared for muggy nights and bugs, or pay the $300-$400 a night at the couple of fishing resorts. Sirena was fine - friendly, happy to chit chat and spend time with you but if you wanted to be left alone she didn't bother you. A very good hostess I would say. No hot water when electricity is out too - so no warm shower in the morning! You'll have to wait til lunchtime or the evening.

About PA, it clearly is still suffering from poverty, like much of the Yucatan, but for some reason here it struck me as 'worse'. As a tourist it's not very possible to explore much on your own - you'll need a guide and a boat and it required you to schedule with one of the collectivo's and they seemed to lack flexibility (i.e. I wanted to go out on my own w/o the 'typical tour' but it didnt seem possible - I had to see: 1. Birds. 2. A tortuga (turtle) 3. Dolphins. Tour over. I would much rather have spent my $140 and 3 hours in one or two spots in the bay snorkling or exploring the mangroves in a little detail but I wasn't allowed in the water (that may be a reserve rule-not sure) and the guide stuck to his plan. Finally, the sight of mounds of plastic trash stretched along miles and miles of beautiful coast breaks my heart. It's certainly better than building myriad 'resorts' on every square inch of land, but its a shame and an object lesson for everyone to REDUCE PLASTIC USAGE and littering.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank neuatomic
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Staying with Sirena was heaven after a stressful & noisy month living in Playa Del Carmen. We needed relaxation and thats what we got. We bonded with Sirena on many levels. Her life experiences are interesting and unusual & she is a warm and helpful hostess. We now consider her a dear friend.
The Posada gives a choice of 4 rustic dwellings set in a beautiful garden where we passed many fun hours talking with Sirena and other guests. Townspeople passed through her garden to chat and we got a great feeling about Punta Allen. The town is surrounded by water. We caught the sunrise on the ocean every morning and the sunset on the Laguna fishing dock every
evening. The restaurants are wonderful. We never had a bad meal. In particular, fish at Juan &
Martas followed by Martas incredible Key Lime pie.
There is electricity in PA only from 11-1pm and 6-11pm. The pace is laid-back and the people warm and friendly. Nature rules. No night life which was ok with us. Fishing, snorkeling, trip to the lighthouse and absorbing the tropical setting melted the stress right off.
If you need a mint on your pillow or fluffy white towels after your Jaccuzi, this is not for you. To experience all the Sian Ka'an Biosphere has to offer, we suggest staying for many days in PA at Sirenas. Forget the "Jeep tours" which hurry people down and back in one day. You would miss the true atmosphere of this area.

Room Tip: Three of the four cabins have cooking facilities. When we returned, we brought more food provision...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie B
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stayed here with my boyfriend. Lets just say its pretty gritty inside. Sheets were not clean. Bugs and critters all around. The owner is very odd and thinks she is a mermaid. Was glad to get out of Punta Allen as fast as we could. But maybe you will like it......

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple