“Wonderful experience”
Review of Posada Sirena

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Punta Allen
Posada Sirena
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Staying with Sirena was heaven after a stressful & noisy month living in Playa Del Carmen. We needed relaxation and thats what we got. We bonded with Sirena on many levels. Her life experiences are interesting and unusual & she is a warm and helpful hostess. We now consider her a dear friend.
The Posada gives a choice of 4 rustic dwellings set in a beautiful garden where we passed many fun hours talking with Sirena and other guests. Townspeople passed through her garden to chat and we got a great feeling about Punta Allen. The town is surrounded by water. We caught the sunrise on the ocean every morning and the sunset on the Laguna fishing dock every
evening. The restaurants are wonderful. We never had a bad meal. In particular, fish at Juan &
Martas followed by Martas incredible Key Lime pie.
There is electricity in PA only from 11-1pm and 6-11pm. The pace is laid-back and the people warm and friendly. Nature rules. No night life which was ok with us. Fishing, snorkeling, trip to the lighthouse and absorbing the tropical setting melted the stress right off.
If you need a mint on your pillow or fluffy white towels after your Jaccuzi, this is not for you. To experience all the Sian Ka'an Biosphere has to offer, we suggest staying for many days in PA at Sirenas. Forget the "Jeep tours" which hurry people down and back in one day. You would miss the true atmosphere of this area.

Room Tip: Three of the four cabins have cooking facilities. When we returned, we brought more food provision...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Portland, Maine
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stayed here with my boyfriend. Lets just say its pretty gritty inside. Sheets were not clean. Bugs and critters all around. The owner is very odd and thinks she is a mermaid. Was glad to get out of Punta Allen as fast as we could. But maybe you will like it......

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SandBTravels
everywhere
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I stayed here with my girlfriend and we had an excellent week. Sirena has a few different rooms, we rented out a little house complete with living room, kitchenette, and library. We found the kitchen well equipped except for good cold storage and fell in love with the place. It's not a big hotel experience, it's a charming home-y atmosphere.

We appreciated the leftover spices, sauces, and cooking stuff, and most of all had a blast with Sirena. She took care of us like a couple of kids, showed us around the town, and kept us well entertained while we were there. Everywhere we went in town we used the word Sirena as kind of a password to better treatment.

On top of it all, when I left my pocket knife behind she brought it to Tulum for me. What a doll.

Anyway, highest recommendations to anybody looking for a more personal experience. The place has heart.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed with Sirena sometimes ago now. We ended up in Punta Allen because we wanted to escape the frenzie of Tulum and other "trendy" touristic spots and we found just what we were looking for.
Reading other reviews, I can see you either like it or hate it. If you are looking for a top confort, super clean, all mod con place to stay, then go somewhere else. I understand that Sirena's place is not for everyone, but we liked our little room, enjoyed Sirena's recommendations for food and activities and the company of the other guests. We had a great time there and were really happy to meet Sirena and hear about her stories.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sophenvadrouille
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2011

This is not really clean, there's dust in the room and at some places it's thick. It smells "old". The mastress is smashed... really unconfortable. It's not on the beach but not far (what can be there anyway). But the owner is sympatic and helpfull.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cath418
Valemount, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2011

We stayed in one of the Palapa huts for four nights at Posado Sirena. Sirena was exceptionally helpful in showing us the small community of Punta Allen and what was available for our four nights at her guest house. We did not have a kitchen in our accommodation, so since the Casa Grande was not booked and there were repairs being done on it, she kindly let us use the kitchen. She arranged tours and was very informative. We found our room, toilet, shower and the kitchen all very clean, so we do not agree with the previous guests. Sirena's Posada has some huts that are rustic and might be more for the back packer. She does have the Casa Cielo which is upstairs above Sirena's residence. This is quite luxurious. She has also just put a brand new toilet in the Casa Grande and is continuing to do upgrades. The only thing we would recommend is make sure you have good insect repellent with you as the sand flies can be bad (anywhere in Punta Allen) and you do have mosquitoes depending on the time of the year.
Sirena also keeps a beautiful garden which is yours to enjoy and it is a great place to meet other travellers and share stories.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I had the same experience as many here. Apparently I did not read through all the reviews, as I would not have chosen to stay here if I had. My review is going to be a recap of many previous reviews.

I'll start by saying Sirena is quite nice. Quirky, friendly, generally cheerful. She did seem interested in making people comfortable. Her responses to my inquiries before we left were prompt and complete. That said...

We stayed in Casa Grande. Like most heading to Punta Allen, I'm relatively well-traveled, and when at home, my "hotel" is my tent. You could not pay me to stay at an all-inclusive resort. However, I have some basic cleanliness needs. There is no "maid service". Great. I refuse it at hotels. But the toilet should be cleaned between visitors and the floor swept and mopped. The toilet and sinks were filthy. While I was there, I threw out: two moldy sponges in the kitchen, two moldy body scrubbers in the bathroom, a soap covered in pubic hair, an old tube of foot anti-fungal in the bathroom, an old "barrel" of wine covered in ants, and a fetid, opened mayonnaise jar sitting on the shelf. I also swept under the couches and beds, which clearly had not been done in the last month. There was a fridge in the room, but it was broken, along with many other broken items. So instead, there was a cooler. It was outside because it leaked like a sieve, and failed to keep food cold. For 65$ a night, I expect more. Like a cooler for the "house" with a kitchen.

We were traveling with a 4 year old and 1 year old. There were dusty, old knick knacks EVERYWHERE and I had to move them all to keep my youngest from getting into them. Both my kids got absolutely devoured by "no seeums" one night, leaving them both looking like they had some strange disease. This is to be expected given the location in the jungle, but the mosquito netting should be washed or replaced every now and then - it was a bloody massacre on the nets. I basically could not stand being in the dark little hovel. We spent most of the time out in the garden, which was quite nice. My older boy really liked seeing the crabs, frogs, and lizards that lived there. But it was far from relaxing as I got the feeling that Sirena was not comfortable with my kids running around and picking up her garden knick knacks (beach treasures like pretty shells mixed with beach trash like old water skis and boat cushions). I felt on edge the entire time.

We were scheduled to stay for four nights. After two nights, we started talking about leaving a day early. That night (the third), my 1-year old vomited. I'm pretty sure it was because there was no hot water and there was no dish soap, and we weren't washing his milk bottle out well enough. That's my fault. But, for the price, I expect dish soap. We were using some manky scrub brush and a bar of body soap because that was what was there. There were no dish towels except two manky semi-disposable ones. We ended up using a pair of my husbands clean boxers for a dish-towel. I kid you not. I stood in the shower holding my baby, both of us covered in vomit while I waited for my husband to find Sirena and get a new light bulb in the bathroom - which had blown that day when the power kept going off any time someone tried to take a hot shower. We decided that night to definitely leave in the morning.

When I approached Sirena the next morning, I was friendly, so was she. I told her I expected the place to be cleaner. She replied "I went through that place myself with a fine-tooth comb", and that if I needed dish soap "that's what stores are for." I tried to be assertive but nice, but I could tell she just wrote me off as some too-soft gringa (she's American as well). I told her we were leaving and asked if she would consider a refund. She did give us back $300 pesos, or $24 of our $65 US. As the coup de grace, when we were finishing up the very last part of packing, my 1 year old started going through the cabinet. I came over to stop him and found him sucking on a coffee pot that had been left on the shelf with coffee grounds in it. The pot was full of mold and about 10 3-inch long cockroaches. Fine-tooth comb, indeed. I'm glad we got our kids up to date on Hep A and B shots before we left.

I like Sirena. I feel bad leaving this review. Yet, I can't help feel like she is trying to make a living without being willing to make the investments she needs to keep the place livable. One night, when we were out of toilet paper and I couldn't find Sirena, I looked through the window at the Casa Chica to see if there might be paper there. I didn't feel comfortable going in as I wasn't sure if someone was staying inside, but it did look cleaner. I noticed dish soap on the shelf. My husband and I, trying to give the benefit of the doubt, theorized that Casa Grande is the place she rents out the least so has the least incentive to keep up. Perhaps because it is so dark she can't see the filth? However, my four year old could do a better job cleaning a sink while blindfolded.

Overall, I just didn't see the need to go to Punta Allen. The town is wonderful - so are the people, so I want to support their efforts to increase tourism and use it to protected the jungle/lagoon/beaches around them. But if you aren't a serious birder or fly-fisher, I'm not sure this is worth your effort. The road makes it a long drive (we were in a small rental car). There are jeeps flying down the road. The beaches are covered in trash (some are better kept than others. The beach in front of the new place, Grand Slam was mind-blowingly full of trash. I'm guessing they plan to clean it up - it was disgusting. I kept feeling the need to watch for hypodermic needles [which I did not see]). The lagoon is very pretty, and we did enjoy a boat ride out onto the lagoon to watch turtles and some beautiful birds. But you can do the same thing without the drive from CESIAK just a few minutes south of Tulum. I really, really love small Mexican pueblos, and want badly to say Punta Allen is paradise. But I just can't say that. We did spend a day just up the road at Costa Del Sol (and I wrote a review of that - wonderful!) and so there may be places that make it worth it. Sirena's just isn't it. If you are going to Punta Allen, spend the extra money and stay somewhere else. I've heard good things about Sol Caribe about 20 minutes up the road, and again, we thought Costa Del Sol was awesome.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family