Pesca Maya Fishing Lodge
Orbitz.com
$674
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsday tripsnapperperchgrand slamascension bayboat rideyellow dogcaught bonefishhis assistantbeautiful areanatural poolside notebaby tarponplaya del carmenrodsfelipebarracuda
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We enjoyed our day of fishing for the most part but the guides did not seem to be interested at all. We spent a lot of time running around and not enough time actually fishing. The junior guide did not know how to set up a rod and reel so I ended up mounting the reel, threading the line and tying the hook myself. The quality of the gear was embarrasing, the reel was rusty and squeaked when the handle turned. Fifteen minutes to set up one leader??
The lunch provided was sub-standard ( sliced hotdogs in between two slices of bread) except for the beer. We were disappointed as this trip was nothing like the year before where the guides did everything in their power to put us on the fish. If we go back, I will definitely bring al l my own gear, leaders and flies/jigs. I just think our guides were subs who did not know the first thing about good customer service . We are pretty easy going guys who love to fish and fish hard. A lazy guide just doesn't cut it for us.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Inlikeflinn
FishingAscensionBay, Director of Sales at Pesca Maya Fishing Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Hello G, as we have already discussed personally, we are really sorry your experience was not as you had expected. Here in Mexico it is very difficult to have staff comitted to their work, in this case referring above all to our assistant guides. The young fellows from the village are not always comitted to persuing an education and often are not available to work. We count with a number of motivated and enthusiastic apprentices, however, this day we had to find a replacement last minute in the morning, which is better than having no assistant at all.
Our head guides are responsible for choosing the best fishing area according to weather conditions, tides and the species you are looking for. Yes, it can involve some "driving around" sometimes to find better spots to fish. We need to trust in their expertise.
I always recommend anglers to bring their own tackle if they can ... we maintain and replace our rental gear at the lodge periodically, but it's simply not the same as having your own personal equipment. All of our gear is imported, so we don't have regular access to top of the line spare parts.
I will hold true to my word regarding a future trip to our lodge.
Sincerely, Sandra

Reviewed January 21, 2012

I fished with pesca maya in feb. The first day was under questionable conditions and the second day was cancelled.I have fished with the several times and planned on being back so I told them to make a note they owed me a day of fishing that had already been paid for. I decided to go to Roatan this Feb and asked for a refund in Oct and was told by Sandra this would be no problem. It is now almost feb. and still no refund. There have been at least 10 emails and I am getting tired of the excuses. The secretary sent the check, the check got lost, the manager didnt tell the secretary, we'le send another check, we'le credit your bank card. I'm tired of all the runaround. For future fisherman I would suggest a small deposit and only pay on arrival, never pay in advance. I actually feel sorry for the guides. I have fished with them 10 times. I tip $20 per rod because they set everything up. Leaders, shock tippet, wire leader, etc. I usually bring 6 rods and tip at least 50 depending on the day. This is right out of the guides pocket. If they want to keep a repeat clientele I would suggest taking care of the people who kept them in business. There are several new guides and lodges in the area who I will be contacting in the future.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tom V
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Highly recommended for the adventurous!! Lots of time spent in small boats, and out in the weather. Just got back from a week at Pesca Maya with my husband and two friends. We had the experience of a lifetime! Our ecotour with guide Felipe included turtle and dolphin encounters, fabulous birding and a wonderful snorkel. Fly fishing was top-notch. All the head guides are exceptional, and assistant guides were hard-working and eager to please--all the guides are knowledgeable, and fun! Henry, Luis and Manuel put us on fish everyday--Henry gave me my first shot at a grand slam--he did his job--I didn't do mine--but I had fun trying ;-) Can't say enough great things about the guides. The Lodge is immaculate, and the food was hearty and good. Staff are all hard-working and happy. Being able to fall asleep with the ocean waves and wind lulling us into a deep slumber after a day on the water was priceless. We hope to go back, for sure.

Room Tip: Robinson House is lovely and new. We stayed in the Grand Slam House, which is older--but perfect for the 4 of us as we wanted to be together. There was plenty of space for us to spread out, rinse and hang our gear.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Christine B
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Me and my friend had a great time fishing Ascension Bay with the help of Pesca Maya Fishing Lodge. Please visit my blog www.jonasvildmark.se for pics.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank jonasvildmark
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Me and my wife went to Pesca Maya in April and can't say enough great things about the experience. The location was beautiful and remote. The lodging was cool and comfortable. The food and service was impeccable. We want to thank Ricardo and the entire staff for taking such great care of us. My wife even enjoyed a message on the beach (thanks Rogelio) while I went fishing with a good friend who happened to be there at the same time. Most importantly the fishing was spectacular. Our guides were very skilled and put us in the right place all day. I swear these guys have superman eyes. We caught a lot of bones among other random species. I even had my shot at a Grand Slam turning the head of one permit and having shots at tarpon. We had the experience of a lifetime and hope to go back next year. We recommend this destination to anyone who will listen.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple