“No disappointment here!!”
Review of Casa de Ascension

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Punta Allen
Casa de Ascension
Ranked #3 of 3 Punta Allen B&B and Inns
Calgary
“No disappointment here!!”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

November 2012. We wanted to flyfish the Ascension Bay and our web searching took us to the Casa de Ascension in Punta Allen. Michael, put together a great package for us and even met us at the Cancun Airport for the bumpy drive to Punta Allen. Michael was an excellent host from the very start and the experience turned out to be an immense success. The lodging was clean, comfortable and well-run, our room was spacious, and the food was beautifully prepared and served by Irene and Michael. The flyfishing experience was complete with great equipment, well-maintained pangas and our guide, Alexander, was friendly and knowledgeable. Kudos to our apprentice-guide, Joannie, as well. For me, the visit was made complete with Irene and Joannie teaching me to make hand-formed tortillas in Michael's pleasant outdoor kitchen. We also enjoyed an evening out, walking the streets of Punta Allen and stopping for fish tacos at a homey outdoor restaurant. The key lime pie was a delicious surprise! Thank you, Michael, for a wonderful experience. We will be back some day soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JRAsFishBabe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Portland, OR
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We were so impressed and have never experienced such genuine and superior service. The cleanliness was unsurpassed, and the atmosphere was perfect for us.

Michael is an incredible host who did absolutely everything that he could to accommodate our needs and wishes. It felt as if we were guests in his home rather than customers at a hotel.

The entire facility is crisp and clean with an up-to-date yet authentic Caribbean feel. The roof-top restaurant has a palapa roof, and beside the restaurant is an open-air viewing deck overlooking the town, the surrounding vegetation and a portion of the ocean. It's perfect for storm or star watching, as well for catching the breeze on hot days (or soaking up the sun rays). Michael also served the fantastic meals (rivaling everywhere we've eaten during our estimated twelve travels to Mexico), and for incredibly reasonable prices.

It is a very short block or two to the beach. The beds were comfortable. The tile on the floors and in the bathroom (floors and walls) sparkled. There is a community "living room" with satellite TV, free internet, games and books (book exchange also available). Electricity, AC, hot showers, free internet, phone service, and I'm sure I'm forgetting other perks.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PotatoPeels
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have been to Punta Allen several times and i would like to highly recommend Hotel casa de Ascension as a great place to stay. Only 4 minutes walk to the beach this place is very clean and comfortable. The rooms have very comfortable beds and pillows, crisp clean sheets and fresh smelling soft towels, hot water 24hrs, A/C, ceiling fan and clean bright bathrooms. The owner Michael is very welcoming and will go out his way to meet your needs. There is a restaurant at the hotel and a palapa covered roof top area to eat and chill out. I can not fault this place. Easy to find as you arrive in to Punta Allen, just follow the signs to the hotel. They only have four rooms here so may be a booking is recommended in high season. (winter months).

Room Tip: Some have bigger windows than others.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mexistu
england
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We wanted to travel to Punta Allen for the fly fishing and found Casa De Ascension at the end of a long but entertaining drive down the extremely bumpy road to Punta Allen. We made the journey in a standard car but a jeep probably is advisable if there has been rain. When we arrived we were greeted by Michael the owner and his side kick Antonio and offered one of the large and colourful rooms he had available. Michael is American so it was nice to chat to someone about the trips available in English as Punta Allen is a small town with little spoken English amongst the locals. Immediately he arranged a fly fishing trip for us the very next day and within the hour had prepared us to order some delicious food and beers up on the balcony. The hotel is a local meeting place due to the quality of the food and the vibe and atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. The beach is a 2 minute stroll and is peaceful and beautiful. Michael's fishing guides were knowledgeable and the trip was well worth the money. Overall I woud highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zedstravels
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Just finished my second trip of the year at Casa de Ascension and it was amazing as usual. Spent 5 days fly fishing with three great guides and it is safe to say it was the best fishing trip of my life. Caught 6 permit in all--two over 20lbs--and lost another due to a bent hook. I also caught several bonesfish and hooked about a dozen tarpon but they bucked my fly every time. The owner, Michael, and the his assistant, Antonio, were fabulous and attentive hosts as usual. They food was made to order and was delicious. Plus, Michael always has great coffee ready as soon as I wake up. Come here to relax and fish with Punta Allen's best fly fishing guides at a great value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank NateGo
Sherman Ct.
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I arrived at Casa unannounced and it was booked with a group of fisherman. However I
did spend time with my buddy Mike(the owner) and was fortunate enough to have a great meal there. If you find yourself in PA , Casa should be on your list. BTW He has internet and the
rooms are spotless although I did not stay there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank fish3d
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We spent 4 wonderful days at Casa de Ascension in Punta Allen. For my husband it was a dream fishing trip, and Michael's excellent guide meant that he caught a large number of bonefish. We also had a wonderful Eco tour one day, seeing more turtles and birds than we could count, plus a number of dolphins right beside our boat.

For me it was a chance to relax. I found the hammock on the upper floor deck to be the perfect place to read or doze. I thought I might miss being right on the beach, but I didn't. It's only a 2 block walk and I went every day, but always returned to the deck.

Michael's food and drinks are superb - every meal was better than the last. His assistant, Tonio, is also an excellent cook. Sometimes we requested something specific, other times they surprised us, but it was always delicious.

The rooms are basic, but large and clean, with a large bathroom, air conditioning and a fan. The town only has power for a few hours, but Casa de Ascension has power 24 hours (or at least very close to it - you don't need it in the wee hours of the morning).

Because Michael has wi-fi all day and also is the unofficial money changer (for locals who received tips in US $ they can't spend), staying at Casa de Ascension means you are a part of the community and I really liked that. If you are someone who wants an all-inclusive, then staying in Punta Allen will probably not be on your itinerary. But if you like fishing, relaxing, or exploring, then Casa de Ascension is the place to stay.

PS. While the road was rough in spots, it was much better than we expected, though rain could make it more challenging.

Room Tip: There are only 3 rooms - 2 larger ones and one smaller one. All are fine.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
#45 of 96 in Tulum
Gaia Tulum
Gaia Tulum
#77 of 96 in Tulum

Been to Casa de Ascension? Share your experiences!